Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don King Turned Down A Million Dollars For Amir Imam Not To Face Ruslan Provodnikov

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Well Don King built Tyson's and Trinidad's careers. So I think he knows a little about when to make what fight.
    He also destroyed their careers as well.

Comment

Judging from last nights fight that probably would have been a poor match-up for Imam.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
        He also destroyed their careers as well.
        Well promoters don't get paid to be financial advisers. Tyson's lifestyles and who he kep around him is not King's fault.

Trinidad had an excellent career, lots of handpicked opponents, and even a robbery win over the Golden Boy, which may or may not have been influenced by King.

Don King is not a saint, but I think he knows what he is doing as a promoter.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          Well Don King built Tyson's and Trinidad's careers. So I think he knows a little about when to make what fight.
          Exactly. Imam was being perfectly managed by King. It's not Kings fault Imam didn't turn out to be the product king thought (and almost everyone else thought) he'd become. It wasn't from a bad management call why Imam will have to rebuild himself for a $1M payday going forward. Yes still young enough to make it there. It's just he suffered a significant set back, now.

Comment

Imam was the mando for WBC title despite having no real notable wins , guessing King had some influence in that and didn't want Provo getting in the way.

Comment

Who the **** would pay him a million dollars?

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                Who the **** would pay him a million dollars?
                Yeah , sounds strange, even if Haymon was involved that's crazy

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
                  Exactly. Imam was being perfectly managed by King. It's not Kings fault Imam didn't turn out to be the product king thought (and almost everyone else thought) he'd become. It wasn't from a bad management call why Imam will have to rebuild himself for a $1M payday going forward. Yes still young enough to make it there. It's just he suffered a significant set back, now.
                  I feel the same, then I tried to make sense of everything of Granados. I took a look at him and in hindsight, I see how if you overlook him or treat him as tune up or stay busy fight, you can find yourself in trouble.

1. He's tall too, 5'9", he has very long arms 74", as long as Floyd and Lara's or right around the same ballpark, so he has the physical attritbutes there at JWW.
                  2. He is tough, durable, never lost by TKO, and all of his decision losses were SD or MD, meaning at least one judge had him winning in every fight he 'lost' or one judge had the fight a Draw.
                  3. He is a young, fresh fighter at 26.

The cons are that the guys he struggled to win against aren't all that, YET. At least not yet, they are like up and coming guys known by hardcore fans, like Brad Solomon, Frankie Gomez, Felix Diaz. All pretty much stand out up and comers, and Felix Diaz gave Peterson a hell of a fight. Solomon's career hasn't taken off yet and he is already 32. He didn't lose to bums, but the guys he lost to are in the phase of their careers where they still have a lot of work to do.

Comment

Eh, you win some, you lose some. No one is batting 1.000. All you can do is make the right decision most of the time & obviously King & Imam have done that to get where they are previous to last night & post last night.

Comment

I feel bad for Imam losing that money, but **** Don King! I don't know why these guys continue to sign with him. Was Imam the last relevant fighter he had left? I hope so.

Comment

Working...
                      X