No announcement yet.

Why didn't Andre Ward become a superstar

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
    Heis argubally a top 25 great and one of the most skilled boxers in history. Looking back, I feel he should've been on the same level as Floyd when it came to popularity. Why didn't Ward ever reach those heights?
    Andre was a superstar in boxing. Outside of boxing he was relatively unknown because he didnt try to change who he was. Wards natural ability earned him 7 figures, not his personality.

Comment

Originally posted by johnston View Post
      how can you honestly say all these guy's have the same personality? What a ridiculous thing to say and the fact you can't differentiate these people shows ignorance. And stop playing victim, you do no one any favors by doing it on a boxing forum.
      stfu........

Comment

Boring af and no personality. How many superstars have we had in the past 30 years? A handful prolly. Oscar, mike, manny and Floyd. Even Roy Jones wasn’t a superstar as good as he was.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
          Pac
          Joshua
          Khan
          Hatton
          Canelo
          GGG

All foreign fighters to the US that have the same personality as Daniel Jacobs or Andre Ward

The foreign fighters I named are all stars

Ward has beaten better fighters than most of the guys I named. Jacobs and Wilder have higher KO percentages than most of the guys I named

First you said ward wasn't a star because of his personality. Well he has the same personality as Joshua and GGG. Then you said well Joshua and GGG are KO punches. Then I said what about Jacobs and Wilder. Now you're saying there's only been roughly 5 stars, but Jacobs and Wilder are stars in their own right

You're all over the place.

The fact of the matter is Canelo, GGG, Pacquiao, AJ, etc don't have to act like coons to sell their fights and are considered the sports biggest stars despite Jacobs and Wilder having similar personalities bit higher KO percentages

Do the math. It has nothing to do with personality or KO percentages.

African American fighters are supposed to fit a normal stereotype and shuck and jive for the masses and act like idiots to sell tickets.

Thank God Jacobs and Ward didn't give in, but continued to do their talking in the ring
          Don’t you think ward would have been a bigger star had he had an exciting style? Don’t you think that kovalev fights would have been bigger?
          Don’t you think fans would have been thrilled to see him every outing??

I think yes.

You’re defending each case with a different scenario, as it is a case to case basis. But the ingredients to be a star normally works in general.
          Fighters should make up for what’s lacking. Ward should ask himself why am I not a star when I wanted to be, what should I change. Should I change my style? Hell yeah why not!

Pac had the style, the resume, the story, the character. It is not just one black and white thing.

Floyd had the resume, the 0, the skills, the character, the personality. He’s working as hard as he does outside and inside the ring. He basically started 24/7.

Ward had the skills and resume. But they couldn’t make up for his style alone. Let alone his character and personality. He doesn’t have a story. Most of his fights were in oakland.

Guillermo Rigondeaux, had the skills. But didn’t have the style. character and personality. And when they were given a chance to step up they played it safe.

Guys like Lara played it safe against nelo. Rigo against donaire. Thurman against garcia. How can you be a star with those performances?? While a lot of eyes are watching.

Floyd KOd corrales.
          Pac KOd barrera. When the world was watching they grabbed their destinies.

It’s hard to be a star alone let alone be superstars.

Broner is a star, but he ain’t that far ahead from the jacobs of the world. He ain’t no ppv fighter.

Wilder, is now starting to be a star, that’s what happens when you don’t fight any one worth noting for a number of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
            Andre was a superstar in boxing. Outside of boxing he was relatively unknown because he didnt try to change who he was. Wards natural ability earned him 7 figures, not his personality.
            Because he didn’t brag about himself
            Fought to many fights in Oaktown
            Stayed outta the limelight and trouble
            Well spoken
            Christian

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
              Don’t you think ward would have been a bigger star had he had an exciting style? Don’t you think that kovalev fights would have been bigger?
              Don’t you think fans would have been thrilled to see him every outing??

I think yes.

You’re defending each case with a different scenario, as it is a case to case basis. But the ingredients to be a star normally works in general.
              Fighters should make up for what’s lacking. Ward should ask himself why am I not a star when I wanted to be, what should I change. Should I change my style? Hell yeah why not!

Pac had the style, the resume, the story, the character. It is not just one black and white thing.

Floyd had the resume, the 0, the skills, the character, the personality. He’s working as hard as he does outside and inside the ring. He basically started 24/7.

Ward had the skills and resume. But they couldn’t make up for his style alone. Let alone his character and personality. He doesn’t have a story. Most of his fights were in oakland.

Guillermo Rigondeaux, had the skills. But didn’t have the style. character and personality. And when they were given a chance to step up they played it safe.

Guys like Lara played it safe against nelo. Rigo against donaire. Thurman against garcia. How can you be a star with those performances?? While a lot of eyes are watching.

Floyd KOd corrales.
              Pac KOd barrera. When the world was watching they grabbed their destinies.

It’s hard to be a star alone let alone be superstars.

Broner is a star, but he ain’t that far ahead from the jacobs of the world. He ain’t no ppv fighter.

Wilder, is now starting to be a star, that’s what happens when you don’t fight any one worth noting for a number of years.
              I'm not gonna go back and forth with you.

Ward and Jacobs know what time It is https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qmV1ySZ-qR0

You can act like it doesn't exist or try to rationalize all you want. The 400 year history of the US says all you need to know. Anyway, take care

Comment

I'm not gonna go back and forth with you.

Ward and Jacobs know what time It is https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qmV1ySZ-qR0

You can act like it doesn't exist or try to rationalize all you want. The 400 year history of the US says all you need to know. Anyway, take care
                Are you thrilled with how ward fights? Are you jumping in joy?? Is any of his fights worth paying $85.00?
                Would you invite your non boxing fan close friends whom you’re planning to make a fan as well to watch a ward fight while drinking beer and eating pizzas?
                Chances are you won’t be able to convince any of em.
                You alone can answer why he’s not a star, let’s not even include other fighters since your topic is about him.

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
                  Are you thrilled with how ward fights? Are you jumping in joy?? Is any of his fights worth paying $85.00?
                  Would you invite your non boxing fan close friends whom you’re planning to make a fan as well to watch a ward fight while drinking beer and eating pizzas?
                  Chances are you won’t be able to convince any of em.
                  You alone can answer why he’s not a star, let’s not even include other fighters since your topic is about him.
                  My last response to you about the subject because you clearly have no clue about African American history in the US

Have I invited friends over for a fight party for any Ward fights? Absolutely.

Ward vs Dawson
                  Ward vs Green
                  Ward vs Kovalev 1
                  Ward vs Kovalev 2

All blockbusters that were exciting and lived up to the hype to name a few. All fights that had the crowd on their feet in the beginning and end regardless of who you thought should've won. Ward vs Kessler was also a fun fight

Anyway keep continuing to rationalize the evident. You can't cover up the truth. The writing has been on the wall for 400 years

Comment

Hi
                    My last response to you about the subject because you clearly have no clue about African American history in the US

Have I invited friends over for a fight party for any Ward fights? Absolutely.

Ward vs Dawson
                    Ward vs Green
                    Ward vs Kovalev 1
                    Ward vs Kovalev 2

All blockbusters that were exciting and lived up to the hype to name a few. All fights that had the crowd on their feet in the beginning and end regardless of who you thought should've won. Ward vs Kessler was also a fun fight

Anyway keep continuing to rationalize the evident. You can't cover up the truth. The writing has been on the wall for 400 years
                    Exciting for hardcore fans like you or some of us here. But what about the casuals??? We can make a poll here, among hardcore fans and he’d receive zero love for his style, and those are mostly hardcore fans.
                    If we count the superstars for the last 30 years only Floyd is considered boring, even then his fights are miles exciting from Ward’s.

There is really no shame for ward not being a superstar at all. As only a few of them are. He achieved great things and had a great resume.
                    I may not be a fan, but i know he’s one tough mfer.
                    Last edited by dibzvincent143; 10-14-2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Professional boxing is about entertainment.

Ward is not entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                      X