Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ray Leonard vs Pernell Whitaker at 147. Who takes it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Leonard vs Pernell Whitaker at 147. Who takes it?

How do you guys see this fight playing out?

I actually have SRL winning this due to his punch output and work ethic. I see Sweat Pea making him miss, but that's about it. I don't see Pea countering or putting SRL on his heels.

My prediction is SRL UD over 15 rounds.
    Sweat Pea
    4.88%
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    87.80%
    Not sure
    7.32%

The poll is expired.

I've always wondered how this fight would played out. It would have been one of the best fights ever.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
      How do you guys see this fight playing out?

I actually have SRL winning this due to his punch output and work ethic. I see Sweat Pea making him miss, but that's about it. I don't see Pea countering or putting SRL on his heels.

My prediction is SRL UD over 15 rounds.
      Similar talent levels but Leonard was a natural Welter and Pernell was at his best at Lightweight. Call it a close UD for Ray Leonard.

Poet

Comment

I think SRL beats him pretty easily. He's one of the few guys in history who could neturalize all of Pea's strength and not to mention that he's naturally bigger & stronger

Comment

A great big man will damn near always beat a great little man.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
            A great big man will damn near always beat a great little man.
            The size thing is overrated a lot of times but Pernell just wasn't quite as good at Welter as he was at Lightweight while Welter was Leonard's best weight class.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              The size thing is overrated a lot of times but Pernell just wasn't quite as good at Welter as he was at Lightweight while Welter was Leonard's best weight class.

Poet
              Not really overrated. And, the historic examples proves it. Of course you have your exceptions. But, that's why I said damn near every time. Instead of full out every time.

Comment

my two favorite boxers all-time. This would be a dream match if there ever was one, except IMO this match up will boil down to size. Maybe a little too much. (and definitely if it goes 15 rounds)

The most likely outcome in my eyes is SRL outworking Sweet Pea. Sweet Pea looked his best against very active guys that were reckless, the treat in watching SRL fight was that he had the ability to stay active but still remain defensively in-tact for the most part.

I got SRL by UD

Comment

Comment

Wow, I've never seen anyone ask about this fight before, and it seems so obvious

I see it being close, but I think Ray's fast enough to land on sweet pea and a decision

Comment

Working...
                    X