Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Boxing writers you met? Experiences?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve Kim. Really talkative and willing to talk basketball and boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I'm not even sure what 95% of them look like to speak to them like that. The ones I do know I think I'd lean towards just saying "hey" & fistbumping them (I don't shake hands with you nasty mfers who don't wash your hands out there) & keeping it moving. If I had some level of fame I think thats how I'd ideally like my public interactions to go with 99% of the public so I'll give the guy the same courtesy with my dealings with him.
      I used to be really hardcore into the sport bro, never missed a fight on HBO, Showtime, ESPN etc. I always took noticed to the writers and boxing media guys and always thought it was the coolest job until I realized most aren't making shat.

I used to also go to like 10 fights a year mostly in Vegas, Staples, Honda, Citizens Bank, Nokia. So yeah you do end up seeing a lot of them and seeing what their faces look like.

I get it bro id do the same fist bump too but if there's a big killer fight and some fan was a fan of my writing and respected my opinion id love to hear his predictions and thoughts even if its a few sentences if they aren't doing anything but just waiting for the under cards to begin.

Comment

Sounds about right to me.

You do know like 70% of these boxing writers are working for tickets to events or Youtube money right?
        Yea bro soon as I learned that like 75% dont make shat I was like F that lol. I dont love the sport that much.

I remember some of the ****y guys who used to write and Come on here and everyone would kiss they arse but then later on I found out they weren't even making any money and like u said just developing their contacts and archives. F that!

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          Great thread!

I had the privalege for years of corresponding with the late Joe rein who many on this site know. Great writer, great human being, and a great teacher.

I write professionally and Joe was always willing to slog through a piece for me. One of my favorite pieces he ever wrote was about James Toney: http://joerein.net/james_toney.html

Enjoy my friend!
          This reminds me I met the legendary Bert Sugar and he was as nice as can be! When you see him you feel like you stepped into a damn time machine that guy looked and talked and walked like he was out of an old black and white gangster movie like that Home Alone keep the change ya filtthy animal flick lol.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
            It was very random but Michael Rosenthal reached out to me for business reason. I didnt know over the phone obviously but when we met, it was a trip to find out it was Michael Rosenthal.
            Thats cool bro what was the business for?

I dont know what he looks like but I know he's the RING Magazine editor or something like that right?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
              Yea bro soon as I learned that like 75% dont make shat I was like F that lol. I dont love the sport that much.

I remember some of the ****y guys who used to write and Come on here and everyone would kiss they arse but then later on I found out they weren't even making any money and like u said just developing their contacts and archives. F that!
              If its a hobby fair play, but if you thought making a living in boxing was hard try to make it in boxing writing & pay your bills. Obviously don't gotta take no punches to the face so there's that, but you are pretty much signing on for a lifetime of Top Ramen for all 3 meals of the day cuz few dudes "make it".

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                I met Dan Rafael after a fight once. We talked about boxing for a while. Turned out it was just some fat guy, but hey he was cool.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BrometheusBob. again.

LMFAO! you'll know its him because he acts like he's a celeb or some BS he actually thinks he's famous its wild.

Comment

If its a hobby fair play, but if you thought making a living in boxing was hard try to make it in boxing writing & pay your bills. Obviously don't gotta take no punches to the face so there's that, but you are pretty much signing on for a lifetime of Top Ramen for all 3 meals of the day cuz few dudes "make it".
                  Yeah bro this was back in my GM days too so I was making phat tall ends so I probably would have done it for free, thank god I declined I had a few offers actually lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                    Lol same thing happened to me. I thought I met Fat Dan at a strip club last year, but he was just some fat drunk dude wearing an old De La Hoya vs Mosley II shirt with holes on it.

I was pretty drunk too, so drunk that I actually wished it was Fat Dan paying for lapdances with buffalo sauce on his chin.
                    green k bro hilarious.

I dont think Fat Dan can fit inside a strip club seating area unless it was like 6 person couch with no one else on.

You'll know its Dan because he thinks he's famous and acts like we all want his autograph. If you ask him for a prediction he'll say something really F'd up like id rather not.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
                      I get it bro id do the same fist bump too but if there's a big killer fight and some fan was a fan of my writing and respected my opinion id love to hear his predictions and thoughts even if its a few sentences if they aren't doing anything but just waiting for the under cards to begin.
                      True I get you with that.

Randomly I crossed paths with Joey Spencer's dad a few weeks ago by the Cromwell later in the night (maybe 11pm-2am) & I'm a big Michigan boxing fanboy & I was alternatively trying to give him some distance, like I'd like as a notable person, while dying to say hey & ask him some questions & bs with him for a second. We crossed paths so fast doe it woulda seemed weird to chase his ass down so I didn't & ended up with a lame story of just crossing paths with Jason Spencer lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X