Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millennial Cries at Work, Puts Mother on Speakerphone after Editor Corrects Her

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millennial Cries at Work, Puts Mother on Speakerphone after Editor Corrects Her

Millennial Writer Cries at Work, Puts Mother on Speakerphone after Editor Corrects Her Spelling

How does a boss manage a worker who believes their feelings trump reality, right down to the way she "feels" about her misspelled words?

Gently. And probably badly, even though that's no fault of the boss in question.

Carol Blymire -- a "communications and public policy executive, branding consultant, professor, writer" -- took to Twitter on Friday to tell the story she overheard of a young writer, probably "in her late 20s," going over edits with her boss.

What issue caused mentor and student such agitation and aggravation? Had the boss been needlessly cruel? Had the young writer pushed some radical agenda, and was refusing to tamp it down a bit? Hardly. They were arguing over how to spell "hamster." You know, the little furry rodents some people keep in one of those winding Habitrail cages.

Can you guess what happened next? The young woman, according to Blymire, "insists she doesn’t need to look it up because it’s FINE to spell it with a P because that’s HOW SHE WANTED TO SPELL IT."

You might think at this point that the writer would have taken a cue from her boss, and engaged herself with the same calm, cool, professionalism. Actually, at this point in the story you wouldn't think that at all, would you?

Our young hero (in her own mind only), had apparently texted her mother for support in this Hampster Crisis, and her dutiful mother called her right up. If one of my kids had called me or my wife in a similar situation, I know exactly what either one of us would have said.

"It's spelled 'hamster.' Now go apologize to your boss for causing a scene."

I imagine if you'd read this far, you'd have given similar advice. I also imagine that you're already certain that's not what happened here.

The young woman put her mom on speakerphone, "IN THE WORKPLACE," as Blymire caps-locked for emphasis, and what happened next would be funny if it weren't so sad.

You can read the rest in linked article:

https://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/mill...-her-spelling/

Not news. Isn’t it trendy now for kids to call their mommies when their feelings are hurt. It starts in elementary school.

Comment

They get it from school

Whenever they get bad grades or dont like something the teacher does or say, these stupid parents come running to the school to complain.

So these dumb kids get used to it.

Comment

My wife is a teacher, was actually, teaching fairly privileged kids. Sixth form.

These were 16-18 years olds. Their parents would ring in all the time and turn up to complain about grade or the amount of work they have. They’re kids are perfect, you understand, and if they don’t achieve perfection it’s your fault.

It’s usually the mothers. They’re usually the kind of pointless, middle class, women whose Husbands earn good money and they themselves have long ceased to function as a worthwhile member of their communities. They know this so will complain about everything from queuing times at the supermarket, to their kids teach, to their recycling. They

I wouldn’t dream of complaining as a kid at school and my mum would have laughed me out of town.

Where I went to school we ran out of teaching space and had lessons in the Irish social club for a few weeks. That was interesting because I was used to there for my underage drinking on the Friday night.

Comment

Put your dirty clothes in the hampster

Comment

Originally posted by flipbjefrox View Post
            Not news. Isn’t it trendy now for kids to call their mommies when their feelings are hurt. It starts in elementary school.
            I never ever call my mom...not even when I was in Mexico...getting beat down by cops......it is odd that they vanished ....
            Before I could complain...chit happens in Mexico.
            Last edited by Zaroku; 07-16-2019, 11:50 AM.

Comment

This story bored me so bad I didn't make it through to the 2nd paragraph. Someone cliff notes me this if its actually interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                This story bored me so bad I didn't make it through to the 2nd paragraph. Someone cliff notes me this if its actually interesting.
                Basically a woman overheard a conversation between her co-worker (a millennial) going over an article the Millennial wrote that had spelling errors. The boss corrected the Millennial and the Millennial called crying to her mom.

Comment

Ah the worst part is that her mother caved. She's clearly a little unstable if such a trivial point could evoke her emotionally, but her mother really ought to have held strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
                    My wife is a teacher, was actually, teaching fairly privileged kids. Sixth form.

These were 16-18 years olds. Their parents would ring in all the time and turn up to complain about grade or the amount of work they have. They’re kids are perfect, you understand, and if they don’t achieve perfection it’s your fault.

It’s usually the mothers. They’re usually the kind of pointless, middle class, women whose Husbands earn good money and they themselves have long ceased to function as a worthwhile member of their communities. They know this so will complain about everything from queuing times at the supermarket, to their kids teach, to their recycling. They

I wouldn’t dream of complaining as a kid at school and my mum would have laughed me out of town.

Where I went to school we ran out of teaching space and had lessons in the Irish social club for a few weeks. That was interesting because I was used to there for my underage drinking on the Friday night.
                    I work for a local parks and rec's part time. Needless to say I work a lot with youth. A lot of my co-workers are students going to school to be a teachers or are substitutes and student aids. Anyway, after talking to other teachers and coaches, we'd all rather deal with the overzealous suburban soccer mom than the ghetto "idgaf" kinda mom.

Although it can be annoying to hear about running "lil Dunkin" to hard, its better than waiting 30mins after practice or camp for the parent to pick them up.

Comment

Working...
                    X