No announcement yet.

cutting in amateurs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cusd'amatokid View Post
    listen *******, i never said there was a 160 division , i fight at 160 in the 165 division. thats where im healthiest. and i do fight, i just won eastern ny sub novice golden gloves and will be fighting at the state finals in april. So stop trying to make smart remarcks
    yo, who is this? are you that really tall black dude that fights out of cus d'amato's? if so, i saw your first fight in saratoga. you looked sharp for your first fight. i lost in 141 novice finals by the way.

Comment

im the short italian looking kid at 165, from catskill the other guy isnt on this sight

Comment

cant talk in pounds, i drop from 58kg walking to 54kg boxing, could probably do 51 at a push but i dont really think its worth it

Comment

im the short italian looking kid at 165, from catskill the other guy isnt on this sight
          i honestly don't remember. good luck in the ny finals though.

Comment

listen *******, i never said there was a 160 division , i fight at 160 in the 165 division. thats where im healthiest. and i do fight, i just won eastern ny sub novice golden gloves and will be fighting at the state finals in april. So stop trying to make smart remarcks
            So you walk around at 168, your division is 165, and you cut down to 160, so your opponents will have a 5 lb weight advantage? Haha!

Comment

Originally posted by rj_ct View Post
              i honestly don't remember. good luck in the ny finals though.
              thanks, too bad u lost in your fight
              i lost my first at saratoga but it was a match bout so i could move on

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
                So you walk around at 168, your division is 165, and you cut down to 160, so your opponents will have a 5 lb weight advantage? Haha!
                yea but its not an advantage when im in my best condition, im slower wieghing 165 so the five pounds doesnt matter to me. I perform my best at 160 but i want put on some muscle because i am lean and have the room to still be in the same class

Comment

Fighting at 165 when you weigh 160? You have no idea how big of a factor 5 lbs is, but then again, you're novice. Step into the open class, you wont want anyone having a weight advantage like that. Either fit yourself into 165, or visit the 156lb class.

I have cut weight before. I really do not need to do it now. I fight at 125(Will be 126 I am turning pro next month), and have had one fight at 132. I had to cut 17 lbs last year for the gloves. It takes alot out of you.

Cutting weight is fine, but going to the extreme I went, for amatures, is NOT healthy. I was dieting like a pro, and having to weigh and fight the same night. Lesson learned the hard way.

Comment

well like i said in the last post i have room to put on some muscle and am planning to do that, actually i am doing that as i get ready for my next fight in april, ive thought about dropping a class but i know i'd be weak and im only 16 so my body is still growing

Comment

Originally posted by Domey View Post
                      Fighting at 165 when you weigh 160? You have no idea how big of a factor 5 lbs is, but then again, you're novice. Step into the open class, you wont want anyone having a weight advantage like that. Either fit yourself into 165, or visit the 156lb class.

I have cut weight before. I really do not need to do it now. I fight at 125(Will be 126 I am turning pro next month), and have had one fight at 132. I had to cut 17 lbs last year for the gloves. It takes alot out of you.

Cutting weight is fine, but going to the extreme I went, for amatures, is NOT healthy. I was dieting like a pro, and having to weigh and fight the same night. Lesson learned the hard way.
                      I've fought at 165 weighing in at 160, last 2 fights, both against guys who were right at 165 in opens. I walk around at 158 so either cut to 153-54 or try to add to 165 for fights. Just can't get there, no matter how hard I try to load up. Got to 162 for the scales, but by fight time was 160 dead on...I suspect my opponents were prob. 167-69.

It isn't ideal, obv, but you do what you have to if you want matches.

Comment

Working...
                      X