Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency Discussion Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When your drunk uncle asks about bitcoins at thanksgiving dinner you already missed the boat to join

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      When your drunk uncle asks about bitcoins at thanksgiving dinner you already missed the boat to join
      Lmao...... ^^^^^^^^^^^

So true

Comment

• I'm sitting here thinking the stolen and seized cryptocurrency will get pillaged from the inside. If governments keep making seizures of stolen cryptocurrency (which is going to happen more and more) then the last thing the government wants to do is anything is derail the transition into mainstream currency...out of greed and corruption. They would likely move towards continued stability. Look at marijuana...legalized government regulated marijuana for profit. They will just want things to continue to be unregulated with anonymity.

Investing is risky...but mining as per https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=766394

...NOT as a conventional start-up (re:cost vs return) looks intriguing.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaded View Post
          This comes to mind. If governments are going to seize the proceeds of a crime worth $Billions...the future of cryptocurrency becomes even more likely to become mainstream because people in government will want to profit from it...especially in counties with the highest levels of corruption.

The Bulgarian Government Is Sitting on $3 Billion in Bitcoin

https://www.coindesk.com/bulgarian-g...llion-bitcoin/

Dec 7, 2017 at 20:10 UTC

A crackdown on organized crime by Bulgarian law enforcement in May resulted in the seizure of more than 200,000 bitcoins – an amount worth more than $3 billion at today's prices.

According to a press release dated May 19 from the Southeast European Law Enforcement Center (SELEC), a regional organization comprised of 12 member states including Bulgaria, a total of 213,519 bitcoins were seized that month. Twenty-three Bulgarian nationals were arrested during the operation, and officials said at the time that the arrests and subsequent asset seizures followed an investigation into an alleged customs fraud scam.

As of press time, the amount seized is worth approximately $3.3 billion, at a price of roughly $15,524, according to CoinDesk's Bitcoin Price Index (BPI).

Authorities commented at the time:

"The offenders choose the bitcoin way of investing/saving the money, because it is rather difficult to be tracked and followed."

They further alleged that those involved developed a virus which was used to hack into Bulgarian Customs computers, allowing the perpetrators to skip paying fees when transporting goods into the country. The virus was uploaded to government machines by bribed agents, according to the release.

In all, the alleged perpetrators avoided paying some 10 million leva (Bulgaria's national currency), worth roughly $6 million.

What remains unclear at this time is what the Bulgarian government is doing with the seized bitcoins.

According to a report from Bivol.bg from Nov. 28, the Bulgarian government declined to release further details, citing an ongoing criminal investigation.

Notable in the May 19 release is a notation that, at the time it was published, a single bitcoin was worth $2,354. The release stated that the total amount seized was worth $500 million – less than one-sixth of its current value today.
          yeah, I up reall good right now too.

Comment

• I found out about bitcoin a few years ago, because it was the only way to buy LSD online.. It was like 230 back then.

Skip a year, and I heard about it again from my friend and it jumped to like 1300... I was like oh wow I should have put in some money when I had the chance, thats probably not gonna get much higher now..

Wrong.
            Last edited by DARKSEID; 12-07-2017, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• **** just crashed Brah

Comment

• Originally posted by Furn View Post
                **** just crashed Brah
                No, not really. Coindesk is quoting the price as $15,813...

https://www.coindesk.com

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                  No, not really. Coindesk is quoting the price as $15,813...

https://www.coindesk.com
                  Just like the Tulip Bubble.

Look at the big time investors Jim Raynor and Adam Ali.

Comment

• Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
                    Just like the Tulip Bubble.

Look at the big time investors Jim Raynor and Adam Ali.
                    Why you bringing me up..

Invest in it if you want

I don’t see how it creates value.
                    I will stick to owning evil capitalist companies and sharing in the profits n value it creates over the long haul.

I like liquidity
                    Bitcoin is not very liquid

At the end of the day it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay you..

It’s a currency..

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      Why you bringing me up..

Invest in it if you want

I don’t see how it creates value.
                      I will stick to owning evil capitalist companies and sharing in the profits n value it creates over the long haul.

I like liquidity
                      Bitcoin is not very liquid

At the end of the day it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay you..

It’s a currency..
                      Because you voted in the poll. i don't have a problem with bubbles along as you get out before it goes bust. i have a problem when the bubble is national or international. If it's just a few folks that get hit, I am cool.

Comment

Working...
                      X