Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BoxRec: Someone complained AGAIN. P4P All Time updated (Floyd still #1)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoxRec: Someone complained AGAIN. P4P All Time updated (Floyd still #1)

Now...i've got an issue with no Hearns in the Top 10, but that's just personal preference.

But basically, since the last time they did this type of update:
    • Manny yet again lost like 400 for some reason - almost like someone changed his score because of his BS poll excluding Spence. As a result he is no longer #2 all time.
    • Floyd somehow gained ~60 points despite not being active. Tenshin credit? LOL
    • Carlos Monzon got more points somehow, not really sure where. What's his biggest win, Mundine Sr.? Excellent boxer but resume is a bit weak.
    • Joe Louis significantly higher as is Ray Leonard and Rocky Marciano.

EDIT: Majority of Manny's past opponents are not currently fighting or they're retired, I thought that might explain the significant drop off (fighters losing other fights which lowers their points which affects Manny's). So that's not it.

Last edited by Combat Talk Radio; 03-23-2019, 03:33 PM.

Boxrec. Nothing against thread maker, but Boxrec rankings always made me laugh. Bad for anybody that respects their ranking BS.

Comment

hopkins 5th

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
        Boxrec. Nothing against thread maker, but Boxrec rankings always made me laugh. Bad for anybody that respects their ranking BS.
        I'm a data guy - it's what I love. So watching what they come up with is intriguing to me.

I'm just trying to figure out where/how Manny Pacquiao lost 800 points in such a short time. That's a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
          I'm a data guy - it's what I love. So watching what they come up with is intriguing to me.

I'm just trying to figure out where/how Manny Pacquiao lost 800 points in such a short time. That's a lot.
          I'm a numbers kinda dude too... though the rankings they come up with are piss poor overall their system does address a number of systemic bias issues that plague subjective lists. I went through their algorithms a while back just to see how the math actually works and you can see they've genuinely tried to come up with a good system, but there just isn't a way round the fact that boxing scoring is ultimately 1) subjective and 2) plagued by horrible decisions and cherrypicking.

They've changed their scoring system a few times now over the past coupla years and I ain't really kept up, though I gather they claim it's now a more accurate predictor of how fights will go... *shrugs*. Mainly I don't bother with their scoring, just use it as a loose rough and ready guide to the level of fighters I don't know, but it remains an invaluable resource for checking fighters' historical records and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison boxing View Post
            hopkins 5th
            Do you use them to discredit fighters' opponents? If so, you take them seriously. You can't laugh at Hopkins, even at number 1. You can't be selective. Not addressing just you.

I completely disregard Boxrec, not even for having Floyd at #1, but in general. Some of you guys use it to say this opponent is bum based on Boxrec ranking. It's a dumb hypocrisy.

Comment

The ratings change because they adjust the algorithms not because they adjust boxer points individually.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                I'm a numbers kinda dude too... though the rankings they come up with are piss poor overall their system does address a number of systemic bias issues that plague subjective lists. I went through their algorithms a while back just to see how the math actually works and you can see they've genuinely tried to come up with a good system, but there just isn't a way round the fact that boxing scoring is ultimately 1) subjective and 2) plagued by horrible decisions and cherrypicking.

They've changed their scoring system a few times now over the past coupla years and I ain't really kept up, though I gather they claim it's now a more accurate predictor of how fights will go... *shrugs*. Mainly I don't bother with their scoring, just use it as a loose rough and ready guide to the level of fighters I don't know, but it remains an invaluable resource for checking fighters' historical records and stuff.
                True to the bold. I use them for fighters' records, and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by jglvz256 View Post
                  The ratings change because they adjust the algorithms not because they adjust boxer points individually.
                  Bruh, 800 point drop in less than a month, for only ONE fighter out of thousands, a fighter who just won his last fight comfortably?

That's not algorithm. Something's not right with that.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
                    Bruh, 800 point drop in less than a month, for only ONE fighter out of thousands, a fighter who just won his last fight comfortably?

That's not algorithm. Something's not right with that.
                    You may be right, maybe they do just rig the scores. However I have noticed that current active fighters on the p4p list tend to have wildly fluctuating scores until they retire, whereupon their score usually then stablizes.

Comment

Working...
                    X