Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Spence and Mikey Garcia have the "it" factor to....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    Spence, maybe. Garcia? No.
    Your forgetting a key advantage Mikey has...... Mexicans. The Mexican market in boxing is huge and can propel anyone to superstardom.

Just this past week during the fighter arrivals in Texas, Errol Spence is the hometown guy and yet all the fans were predominantly garcia fans.

Comment

Originally posted by EdWins View Post
      Your forgetting a key advantage Mikey has...... Mexicans. The Mexican market in boxing is huge and can propel anyone to superstardom.

Just this past week during the fighter arrivals in Texas, Errol Spence is the hometown guy and yet all the fans were predominantly garcia fans.
      I agree about the Mexican market; but I don't think Mikey has what it takes to be a real hit, even in that realm. I wouldn’t read too much into his support in Dallas. They’re turning out because they see him as a viable representative versus someone who’s clearly being groomed to be the next face of the sport. This will be Garcia’s 40th fight. If Mikey was going to be a huge star, this kind of interest would’ve come earlier. He just hasn’t got “it,” what the OP was asking about.

Comment

Mikey had a long time to make the transition to being a superstar. He might've missed his moment. Spence has the momentum. If this is a good fight and he put on a spectacular show against Mikey it would be a great start. Mikey is still a good fighter. If Spence should beat him the size advantage won't be the only reason.

Comment

It's Ok but it would make more sense if Garcia was fighting Lomachenko or Davis and Spence was fighting Crawford or Thurman.

Comment

Spence has no chance way to calm and cool.Has that typical Southern Personality. Just comes
            Across a super chill . He might turn out to be a great fighter but he won’t be a PPV star , If He’s involved in BIg PPVs in the future it’ll be because he’d be a solid elite B-side opponet for a star A-side fighter like Canelo to fight . And people would tune in because they think Spence is the goods

Mikeys ceiling is way higher , If Mikey beats Spence and fights PAC next and wins , He’s viewed as the #1 P4P fighter with 2 great back to back wins. His buzz would be huge and I’d think the support he’d receive from Mexicans, Mex-Am the best and most loyal fan base in the sport in North America and general boxing fans would catapult him to the next level and he’d be one of the biggest earners in the sport . Wouldn’t be a Mayweather cross over type star but probably a A-side who when he’s in big fights can generate real good PPV #s. Probably Be a little bit behind Canelo as far as what his #s would look like.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldognyc View Post
              I think Spence really has the it factor. His laid back, nonchalant way allows him to be personable. Combined with his violent temperament in the ring and finishing rate makes him highlight reel stuff. He’s also from Texas and a former Olympian. I think he’s ready to blow up in the mainstream
              That's not the "it" factor LMFAOOO

Comment

I agree about the Mexican market; but I don't think Mikey has what it takes to be a real hit, even in that realm. I wouldn’t read too much into his support in Dallas. They’re turning out because they see him as a viable representative versus someone who’s clearly being groomed to be the next face of the sport. This will be Garcia’s 40th fight. If Mikey was going to be a huge star, this kind of interest would’ve come earlier. He just hasn’t got “it,” what the OP was asking about.
                Just my opinion on this but

Mikey doesn’t need the it factor
                When he can get the support of the best fanbase . if he wins This fights and shows he’s the best in the sport he’ll get the support

I think if he pulls this off he will
                be looked at as the guy next to Canelo among Mex,Mex-Am fans as the face of the sport especially if he fights and beats PAC next . He may not have the it factor , but I wouldn’t say Canelos personality has the it factor either but he’s constantly in big fights and that’s enough. Mikey wouldn’t need the special effects to be a star just preform in the ring and be viewed as the best in the sport and constantly be in big fights would probably all he would need

He was being groomed and built by Top Rank to be the guy and possibly along with Canelo be looked at as the face of the sport for Mex , Mex-Am fans , But him taking 2 1/2 years off in his prime stalled and killed any momentum he had going for him , He had to start from scratch and this fight could be a huge moment determining if he becomes a star or not.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
                  Just my opinion on this but

Mikey doesn’t need the it factor
                  When he can get the support of the best fanbase . if he wins This fights and shows he’s the best in the sport he’ll get the support

I think if he pulls this off he will
                  be looked at as the guy next to Canelo among Mex,Mex-Am fans as the face of the sport especially if he fights and beats PAC next . He may not have the it factor , but I wouldn’t say Canelos personality has the it factor either but he’s constantly in big fights and that’s enough. Mikey wouldn’t need the special effects to be a star just preform in the ring and be viewed as the best in the sport and constantly be in big fights would probably all he would need

He was being groomed and built by Top Rank to be the guy and possibly along with Canelo be looked at as the face of the sport for Mex , Mex-Am fans , But him taking 2 1/2 years off in his prime stalled and killed any momentum he had going for him , He had to start from scratch and this fight could be a huge moment determining if he becomes a star or not.
                  My opinion is based on the assumption that Mikey will lose tomorrow night. If he wins, you could be right — provided he keeps on winning. Canelo is a good-looking younger guy who has more personality than Garcia. He’s also the physically bigger man. Taken side-by-side, without regard to fighting records or ability, Alvarez is clearly the more marketable athlete. He has more “it” in his little finger than Mikey has in his entire body. A fighter would have to win the big fights over and over in Garcia’s case, something that’s not likely to happen at this point of his 31 year-old life.

Comment

My opinion is based on the assumption that Mikey will lose tomorrow night. If he wins, you could be right — provided he keeps on winning. Canelo is a good-looking younger guy who has more personality than Garcia. He’s also the physically bigger man. Taken side-by-side, without regard to fighting records or ability, Alvarez is clearly the more marketable athlete. He has more “it” in his little finger than Mikey has in his entire body. A fighter would have to win the big fights over and over in Garcia’s case, something that’s not likely to happen at this point of his 31 year-old life.
                    Obviously I’m going off Mikey winning on Saturday for any chance of him getting to the level I talked about. If he loses everything I wrote wouldn’t happen.

You made a great post though. I get what you’re saying and You’re right Canelo has the looks to attract the females and some borderline quasi suspect male fans ( this site being a prime example of that ) to his fanbase and that’s a big part of the reason for his popularity and is a bigger man and brings a exciting style that all play a huge part in his popularity. Mikey doesn’t have those same attributes

Canelos looks make him more marketable in front of a camera but to me he doesn’t have any thing in his personality to draw fans in , Nothing he says when a mics in his face seperates him from everyone else , Its his looks , fighting style and willingness to fight anyone that’s made
                    Him the star he is.

But he also has some drawbacks that restricted his ceiling as far as being a complete cross over star . He doesn’t speak and unwilling to speak English , He’s been busted using PEDs , he relies on ridiculous favourable judging giving him multiple Ws he didnt deserve.

Mikey doesn’t have the looks , like Canelo doesn’t have a engaging personality,Mikey Can bang but it won’t translate as having incredible power if he fights At 140/147. To me the biggest factor that could propell Mikey to being one of the bigger draws in the sport is I think skill wise he’s one of the best in the sport , he wouldn’t need biased judging to get his wins. And has a chance to beat any fighter around his weight,( fighting Spence might be biting off more then he can chew ) . If he’s viewed as the best fighter in the World and constantly fights in big fights and wins , I think the public and the Mex-Am , Mexican fans would get on board. You’re right he’s 31 but think Mikey cerebral enough to stay at the top of the sport even when he’s on the decline physically. At the end of the day being looked at as the best in sports trumps looks and everything else that doesn’t really matter. And if Garcia beats Spence he’s proven he’d probably beat anyone from 135-147. If he keeps winning he has a high ceiling

Im Not saying Mikey would ever reach the heights of Canelo( In big fights against the right opponet Mikey might be able to do say 700-1m PPV while Canelo can do 900-1.5 m if it’s against the right opponet ) , But think if everything fell into place , Garcia would have the opportunity to become one of the sports biggest draws, because he’d be looked at as the #1 P4P Fighter if he beat Spence and say PAC and can draw upon a proven loyal fanbase that would support him

Just my opinion though, We’ll see if what I’m saying or what I think his potential can be will even matter after Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
                      Obviously I’m going off Mikey winning on Saturday for any chance of him getting to the level I talked about. If he loses everything I wrote wouldn’t happen...
                      We agree on a lot of the same things. In many ways, I believe we’re focusing on different sides of the same coin. I don’t think either of these guys, Canelo or Mikey, have great personalities; but head-to-head, I see Alvarez as having more substantial raw material to work with. Just my opinion.

In creating a star, looks are one of the first considerations. Everyone, both men and women, are attracted to a good looking individual. I know some people are uncomfortable with the use of that word, but I’m not talking about sexual attraction here; it’s something that’s biologically ingrained, a natural human tendency. Even infants are attracted or repulsed by physical appearance. I don’t think Mikey has that going for him. We agree, he can become a star through other means, but in my opinion he doesn’t have the “it” factor. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to say Canelo is this terribly handsome guy, or that looks define “it.” I’m just saying Garcia doesn’t seem to possess anything beyond sheer boxing ability that’ll make him marketable.

Bringing the conversation back to the original question, I believe Spence potentially has more “it” factor than Garcia. However their careers play out is another matter. It’s all pure conjecture.

Comment

Working...
                      X