Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN reporting that sources informing them August 26th is for Mayweather-McGregor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck. Just read Tank Davis Instagram. He is asking Tevin Farmer to fight him on Undercard of May Vs McG today. Fight is done.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
      UFC runs pretty much every month, and it doesnt seem to hurt them.
      Their PPV numbers are WAY WAY down. They can still do big numbers for the major major shows, but the run of the mill monthly PPVs are suffering due to overexposure.

The risk of Mayweather date being that close is NOT because of the money, the risk is if Mayweather-Macgregor stinks out the joint, people might not want to spend money on another combat event. We saw similar trends in the wake of May-Pac.
      I don't know a single person in the PPV industry that would agree with this. Nor would leading boxing & UFC experts. Kevin Iole just wrote day:

"Oscar De La Hoya is promoting that bout, and it would no doubt take a major hit in pay-per-view sales if Mayweather-McGregor, which could sell 4 million, comes a few weeks before."

I cant think of a single "high-profile" PPV that EVER got really hurt by another PPV happening a month earlier. If you know of one, please share......
      HBO has tried desperately to avoid two PPVs in three weeks over the years, but off the top of my head, I know Hopkins-Pavlik and Calzaghe-Jones were 3 weeks apart and sales for both were a DISASTER.

The shows did *half* of what HBO was expecting and simply reinforced their believe that 3 weeks apart is death, even if in different months.

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
        Their PPV numbers are WAY WAY down. They can still do big numbers for the major major shows, but the run of the mill monthly PPVs are suffering due to overexposure.

I don't know a single person in the PPV industry that would agree with this. Nor would leading boxing & UFC experts. Kevin Iole just wrote day:

"Oscar De La Hoya is promoting that bout, and it would no doubt take a major hit in pay-per-view sales if Mayweather-McGregor, which could sell 4 million, comes a few weeks before."

HBO has tried desperately to avoid two PPVs in three weeks over the years, but off the top of my head, I know Hopkins-Pavlik and Calzaghe-Jones were 3 weeks apart and sales for both were a DISASTER.

The shows did *half* of what HBO was expecting and simply reinforced their believe that 3 weeks apart is death, even if in different months.
        well then we just disagree. At least half the buyers for Floyd-Conner will be MMA people who wouldnt buy Canelo-GGG regardless, so I happen to think the risk to the Canelo-GGG promotion is minimal, if any. I think Canelo-GGG does at least 1.25 million buys. IF Floyd-Conner happens on Aug 26, and IF Canelo-GGG does under 1.25 million buys, then you get to say you were right. Until then, its just opinion.......
        Last edited by OnePunch; 06-13-2017, 11:31 PM.

Comment

I knew it! Thank god I booked my hotel. So pumped for this.
          Let's go, TBE.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
            well then we just disagree.
            that's koo man. i ain't afraid to disagree. i know we've had our battles.

but i will say, i do think you're underestimating the amount of people who barely have two nickels to rub together that are dumb enough to spend money on pay-per-view. whether it's ufc or boxing, when there is a monster PPV, it's because casual people who would only dream of buying one PPV every couple of years decide the fight is so important they just have to do it. but they're not going to do it again any time soon.

At least half the buyers for Floyd-Conner will be MMA people who wouldnt buy Canelo-GGG regardless, so I happen to think the risk to the Canelo-GGG promotion is minimal, if any. I think Canelo-GGG does at least 1.25 million buys. IF Floyd-Conner happens on Aug 26, and IF Canelo-GGG does under 1.25 million buys, then you get to say you were right. Until then, its just opinion.......
            oh, i'm with ya that canelo-ggg may still do 1.25. but if mayweather-mcgregor falls apart and never happens, i think canelo-ggg would do closer to 1.5.

also, don't underestimate the effect of mayweather-mcgregor sucking up so much of the mainstream attention. canelo-ggg would be in the shadow of that fight and wouldn't get the same level of media devotion it would get if it was the only game in town.

and let me go on the record btw and say i think 4 million for mayweather-mcgregor is crazy. i'll be shocked if it hits 4 million, even though so many experts are convinced.

people dreamed of mayweather-pacquiao for years. nobody was dreaming of mayweather-mcgregor years ago. may-pac was a complete anomaly. nothing is ever breaking 4 million again IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
              that's koo man. i ain't afraid to disagree. i know we've had our battles.

but i will say, i do think you're underestimating the amount of people who barely have two nickels to rub together that are dumb enough to spend money on pay-per-view. whether it's ufc or boxing, when there is a monster PPV, it's because casual people who would only dream of buying one PPV every couple of years decide the fight is so important they just have to do it. but they're not going to do it again any time soon.

oh, i'm with ya that canelo-ggg may still do 1.25. but if mayweather-mcgregor falls apart and never happens, i think canelo-ggg would do closer to 1.5.

also, don't underestimate the effect of mayweather-mcgregor sucking up so much of the mainstream attention. canelo-ggg would be in the shadow of that fight and wouldn't get the same level of media devotion it would get if it was the only game in town.

and let me go on the record btw and say i think 4 million for mayweather-mcgregor is crazy. i'll be shocked if it hits 4 million, even though so many experts are convinced.

people dreamed of mayweather-pacquiao for years. nobody was dreaming of mayweather-mcgregor years ago. may-pac was a complete anomaly. nothing is ever breaking 4 million again IMO.

I happen to agree with you on that. IF it happens, my prediction would be somewhere in the 3.00 to 3.25 million buys. I actually think more like 2.75, but of course they will inflate the numbers a bit lol

Comment

Working...
              X