Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lewis-Golota, 20 Years Ago: Polish History As First Eastern European Wave Hits Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    Very interesting stuff. I can remember those days as a teenager watching all the great 90's heavyweight fights. I think Lewis-Golota was on ppv. This wasn't too long before the Klitschko's started emerging if I remember correctly.
    This happened right as klitchko brothers were finishing up amateur career and turning pro..

Bowl-golata was spring and fall in 96.

It wasn't till about 2000 that klitchkos really got on the world class level and not just prospects... though I think vitali was alittle sooner than wlad. If memory serves me right, vitali beat herbie hyde for a belt in 98/99

Comment

90s heavyweight division was so awesome to watch... not as good as the 70s but damn did they give some memories

Buster-Tyson
      Buster-evander
      Evander-foreman
      Evander-bowe 1,2,3
      Tyson-Holyfield 1,2
      Lennox-Bruno
      Lennox-Mercer
      Merced-Morrison
      Cooper-evander
      Rahman-tua 1
      Ike-tua

Just a ton of exciting fights

Comment

Absolutely, Arbachakov and Nazarov had a significant impact on that wave but the biggest of the stars from Eastern Europe invading the pro game considered by acclamation was Tszyu. So I decided he warrants the most mention. I would have certainly underscored Arbachakov and Nazarov if the focus was Eastern Euros in general, but my focus was Eastern European heavyweights. I only briefly highlighted the general wave of Eastern European fighters to join the paid ranks, so it didn't make much sense to expand beyond that.

Golota was accused of steroid use but tests never proved it. This is what counts the most. So it's safe to assume he was clean. I did notice that in the Lewis fight the acne on Golota's back had nearly disappeared (if not gone entirely) compared to the Bowe rematch. Nowadays elite fighters such as Shannon Briggs, Luis Ortiz, Alexander Povetkin, and Lucas Browne are absolutely ruining their futures with outright steroid usage confirmed by positive results. If this had happened to Golota in the 90s, it would have completely tarnished his career. Until a fighter is proven positive (or guilty) fans should give him the benefit of the doubt. I say this because I know many fans do not think twice about calling Golota was a roid freak Instead they should only respect his talent until we learn something different.
        Last edited by jdoro63; 10-07-2017, 10:46 PM.

Comment

That's correct! Vitali defeated Herbie Hide on June 26, 1999, netting his first heavyweight world title and the first for Eastern Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by jdoro63 View Post
            Golota was accused of steroid use but tests never proved it. This is what counts the most. So it's safe to assume he was clean. I did notice that in the Lewis fight the acne on Golota's back had nearly disappeared (if not gone entirely) compared to the Bowe rematch.
            I don't know how safe it is to assume he was clean. Maybe I'm looking at it with American bias but I would guess that he was almost certainly on the gear given the time and place where he came from.

You yourself mention his prominent back acne and there is also the documented history of state-sponsored steroid programs in the Eastern Bloc, see East Germany and the Soviet Union for example.

And as I understand it steroid use is rampant in Poland to this day.

Comment

Good question. What’s brought up the most in Poland is that Golota fled the country in an attempt to avoid prosecution for assaulting a man at a bar where there was a weapon involved. Golota has had his share of legal matters in the U.S. as well, but in Poland these are not as heavily publicized except for the 2012 news story that broke out about Golota facing deportation to his native country. In general, the perception of his image in Poland is not too different than in America. His countrymen view him as one of the most astounding/perplexing characters in boxing history. But that doesn’t change Poles’ national love affair with Golota. While many in the country question his behavior, they still find it amazing that he was able to generate so much publicity and fame amid controversy. They appreciate his boxing talent in the ring far more than American fans. And that is the biggest difference between how's he's received by Polish fans compared to American fans.
              golota was a scum bag and a coward and a bum.

who he beat?

They appreciate his boxing talent in the ring far more than American fans. And that is the biggest difference between how's he's received by Polish fans compared to American fans.

a bum fighter is loved more in his own country
              SHOCKER

Comment

Originally posted by Jennets Holey View Post
                golota was a scum bag and a coward and a bum.

who he beat?

a bum fighter is loved more in his own country
                SHOCKER
                Golota may not have been a good guy, but he inspired a whole country fighters.

If your read enough about Gatti, most people will say that he was not a real nice guy outside of the ring. Multiple women accused him of abuse. He was known as a heavy drinker.

Not every fighter or any athlete for that matter is a good guy outside of their sport.

Comment

Working...
                X