No announcement yet.

countering jab strategy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• countering jab strategy

As the title says, for the more "wiser" folks here what are you strategy / tactics you can use to really make someone hesitant to throw their jab.
    For ex I know of a lot of studies on Mayweather vs Guerrero, Floyd kept active touching Guerrero lead arm and really make it difficult for him to throw his jab at his own will.

Now what about same stance vs same stance? I tried it in sparring and it seems to cross me up.

I'm not looking for slips,parry/catches...more of a strategical thread when you KNOW you're about to spar someone with a really good jab.

If no one has any sound advice do you remember any particular fights where someones jab was countered at will?

Thanks in advance

normally u wont counter much the jab with a straight on people who dont telegraph their jab like barrera mikey garcia or mayweather. U can just counter it with another jab. why do u got a big Hard stiff long stiff jab??

Comment

For most fighters the Jab is the backbone of everything. Its what sets everything else up.

I think you first have to break down everything else. You have to have them to the point where they are afraid to throw anything at you, not just a jab. In other words you really have to be reading your opponent. A fighter is in serious trouble if you have him to this point.

Another possibility is knowing a fighter cant hurt you. At this point you don't have to worry about the jab or anything following it. Once again this fighter is in trouble but not as much as the first scenario because they an still out point you if the are fast and well conditioned.

Comment

If you're fighting an opposite handed fighter (like Floyd did Ghost), touching the lead glove for most fighters will almost always kill their will to throw the jab. I box south paw and when I do this, I almost never get hit with a jab.

Pull counters of course are another way to counter the jab.

For same handed fighters, you can catch their jab with your back hand and jab with them...especially if you have a reach advantage.

Since jabbing exposes the body, you can slip the jab and hook to their body.

All of these things in their own way will make many fighters hesitate to jab over the course of a fight.

If all else fails, you can try to be first and beat them to the jab.

Comment

Since I didnt answer your question in my first post I will go ahead and do so.

You ask a good question and it highlights where boxing becomes a thinking sport.

First of all, if your in there with someone with a nice snappy jab its easy to become kind of mesmerized with it and sit back, watch and wait on it.

Another thing is the will likely be good at countering you with there jab and be able to keep you off of them with it.

Also, in your thread you said your not looking for slips, parrys or catches but these are the tools you use. As always don't be predictable when using these tools because you can get set up that way.

Catching and slipping their jab even without throwing back will help you get into their rhythm, read them and be able to predict them.

Do something like catch, catch then slip to the outside of one while countering with your own jab. Than catch, then catch while countering with a straight. Catch, catch then slip to the inside. Slipping to the inside is more dangerous and more of an advance technique to capitalize on but work on it because it creates nice openings.

Its important to capitalize on your slips and make them pay for missing.

Lets not forget about head movement. You have to keep the head moving. This will make you harder to hit in general (once again as long as your not predictable) and can even create openings for you on its own without making them miss.

Also use feints, this will create openings for you and help you read him as you will be able to see what his reaction will be when he thinks you are throwing a certain punch.
          Last edited by Beavis_5000; 03-25-2014, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Really this is reliable details i like this actually i was in looking for this details and considering to create a line for this but i have no need to create any line after study out this details anyways thanks for this and have a awesome day
            Last edited by Johny; 03-29-2014, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X