Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo-Golovkin: We Saw it Coming

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jabs alone don't necessarily win fights. Power punches- which Canelo clearly won, carry more weight than jabs. For example, if one man lands two jabs in one round and his opponent lands only one power punch, but with that one punch busted up his opponent's nose to a bloody mess... who do you really think won that round?

And not only did Canelo brutalize Triple G's body and face as you could tell who actually beat up who at the end of the fight, but he was also the overall aggressor. The judges take all of these things into account. And the reason Canelo didn't win by a wider margin is perhaps due to the more, but less effective jabs that Triple G landed.

Canelo beat up Triple G and won the fight, don't let your eyes deceive you otherwise. Just look at the aftermath.

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Cohen View Post
      Thank you. This article summarizes my feelings perfectly. It was a great fight and I take nothing away from Alvarez, but when I heard the scorecards I literally said, "What else does he have to do?"

There are lots of good fights out there for both fighters, but this has become worthy of a trilogy.

BUT:

I don't want to see this Vegas, nor do I want to see it in Texas. Keep it out of L.A. and New York too, where GGG is big. Go neutral ground to settle this once and for all. This rivalry has become big enough to sell out Wembley Stadium if they want to, or fill up the Tokyo Dome. Go international and create an even playing field.

Because if it stays in the States, it's hard to see one man or the other getting a decision without controversy, and these moves are impossible to knock out!
      I'd love to see it in a neutral venue, but between GGG and Canelo I think we know who will object to it.

Hey, they should do the third one in Kazakhstan - that will level the field. There, GGG will win even if he gets knocked out cold. Twice.

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post
        Robbie, are you unbiased ?

Only issue for me is that Golovkin won in the court of public opinion (both fights), but under the rules of boxing, he didn't win either, and that's a problem for the SPORT that I care about.

Boxing needs to align its results with the court of public opinion better for its own sake, and that's the only issue for me, whether its Golovkin, Canelo, Holyfield (Valuev), De La Hoya (Sturm), Pac (Bradley), Lewis (Holyfield), Whitaker (Chavez) etc etc

A system that continues to defy public opinion taints the sport and reduces its appeal. Its been going on for years, and that's the issue that should be getting our ire, not Golovkin or Canelo.

Golovkin is retiring soon and if you don't like him, you won't have to deal with his fights any longer. Ditto Canelo, he will be gone one day too. But the sport lives on, and that's the one that needs to be supported if its going to survive/thrive.
        An issue I've raised before and a point well made IMO. Telling the viewing public that they are either (in effect) too stupid to understand the spectator event they've just witnessed or that they are hopelessly biased ain't really doing the sport any favours IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          I can already tell that this site is now going to act like Golovkin clearly lost this fight. By next month people will act like Alvarez won 10 rounds.

There is something messed up in the fact that most people think Golovkin won both fights yet the judges don't. And it's a pattern in Alvarez's career. It's *****ed to know that any close fight he's in will go his way, and even if he gets dominated he'll somehow have a judge find it in his favor.
          Already happening bro. All i been reading about since the fight is how Canelo walked Golovkin down (lol), messed him up (lol) and the proof of that is Golovkin's bruised face (lol).

These people couldn't objectively score a fight if their lives depend on it.

Comment

Another devastating black eye to the sport. You all can thank Coke La Hoya for ripping off the fans yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Punch View Post
              Jabs alone don't necessarily win fights. Power punches- which Canelo clearly won, carry more weight than jabs. For example, if one man lands two jabs in one round and his opponent lands only one power punch, but with that one punch busted up his opponent's nose to a bloody mess... who do you really think won that round?

And not only did Canelo brutalize Triple G's body and face as you could tell who actually beat up who at the end of the fight, but he was also the overall aggressor. The judges take all of these things into account. And the reason Canelo didn't win by a wider margin is perhaps due to the more, but less effective jabs that Triple G landed.

Canelo beat up Triple G and won the fight, don't let your eyes deceive you otherwise. Just look at the aftermath.
              Looking at a combatants face at the end of a fight is a poor way to judge who won. Less effective. Golovkins jabs were hard and stopped Canelo in his tracks. There is a double standard here. Some Canelo supporters said Canelo retreating to the ropes and giving ground is good defense. Golovkin takes a step back and he's running.

Comment

I'm very disappointed with some fight fans. Too many have been disrespectful to GGG and act as if Canelo dominated.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                  Very biased article. Only talks about what Golovkin did during the fight. Writers for other sports don't show this kind of bias that is rampant in boxing writers articles. Very unprofessional and misleads casuals into thinking what the writer wants them to believe.
                  You’re a casual and one of the most biased posters here. Funny you calling someone else that.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                    Another devastating black eye to the sport. You all can thank Coke La Hoya for ripping off the fans yet again.
                    I think I have to agree dude.

Comment

Originally posted by AneesMoha View Post
                      Do you understand the difference between being backed up on the defensive and controlling distance with a jab and staying out of the pocket? If you think like that then Ali, Klitchko Sugar Ray should never of won a fight. How many times was Golovkin's back to the ropes covering up and not throwing??
                      I understand a jab is a sissy punch especially when you are getting backed up by the alpha male and getting your face busted up by powerful hooks and uppercuts. Golovkin wasn’t controlling distance. He was backing up. He didn’t want to be backing up. He backed up because the ring General FORCED him too. You don’t win rounds with a meager little jab when your getting tagged up with power shots to the body and head. Golovkin was so inferior he couldn’t go to the body’s because Canelo would have punched his head off his shoulders and he feared that very much! He didn’t control anything!! Canelo controlled everything and dictated to Golovkin what he could and not do!! Canelo was so in command that Golovkin might have been asking him permission to use the restroom after the fight!
                      Last edited by Boxing lives; 09-17-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X