No announcement yet.

Tighten the screws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tighten the screws

Lets say we tightened the screws on these boxing nutcases. No more breakdowns, drug issues, mommy issues or whatever. Which had the most potential? Vote and discuss.
    Andrew Golota
    7.69%
    Tont Ayala jr
    0.00%
    Oliver McCall
    7.69%
    Edwin Valero
    30.77%
    Ike Ibeabuchi
    53.85%

The poll is expired.

Impossible, you would be dealing with robots. Problems work with and against depending on the individual

Comment

Originally posted by D.I.E.S.E.L View Post
      Impossible, you would be dealing with robots. Problems work with and against depending on the individual
      I disagree. Take away drug addictions, psychosis, anxieties and what not and you are left with raw talent that is easier to shape and control. This however is not going to be a thread based on facts, but on opinions.

Comment

Ayala and Ike were brilliant looking prospects before they went down, but Valero had the sky as the limit for his potential. His power dictated every fight he was ever in, and he showed much better boxing skills than anyone had given him credit for in the Demarco fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Ayala and Ike were brilliant looking prospects before they went down, but Valero had the sky as the limit for his potential. His power dictated every fight he was ever in, and he showed much better boxing skills than anyone had given him credit for in the Demarco fight.
          I thought of Valero as over rated and a knock out waiting to happen with his chin so exposed and the talent he was getting to so deep.

To me Ayala was clearly the most gifted, and had he not run into trouble would have gone the furthest in my opinion. Would order would you rate these guys based on potential had they never had serious problems?

Ayala
          Golota
          Ike
          Valero
          McCal
          l

Comment

From the little we saw of Ibeabuchi he reminded me so much of a young Sonny Liston it was scary. Maybe not as much power as Sonny but still many of the same tools. Unlike the others Ike had a couple of wins over top-tier opposition to get at least SOME gauge as to whether his apparent abilities are real. Golota? Who did he beat? He had a meltdown against all of his top-tier opponents. Valero and Ayala? Who did they fight? Nice prospects sure but they made their names KOing tomato cans.....nothing there to really set them apart from dozens of other nice prospects over the years. Neither of them really impressed me bacause I considered the oppostion: They would have had to have performed like that against opponents I respected before I would have been ready to annoint them world-beaters.

Poet

Comment

PS. I'm not someone who gets impressed by punching power as I realize it's the LEAST important of the major factors that make up a fighter. Substance over style :cool9:

Poet

Comment

I'm mulling it over at the moment and will decide but I lean toward ibeabuchii, valero or mccall (I have no clue why). I'll decide en la maņana.

The evil in me makes me want to choose golota to "f" with people :
                Last edited by DarkTerror88; 12-01-2010, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  Golota? Who did he beat? He had a meltdown against all of his top-tier opponents.

Golota was destroying Bowe twice and Grant before his meltdown. Had he not had these mental lapses we may have been looking at him today in a whole different light. He showed excellent skills in his career but was plagued by anxiety.

Valero and Ayala? Who did they fight? Nice prospects sure but they made their names KOing tomato cans.....nothing there to really set them apart from dozens of other nice prospects over the years.
                  I think many would disagree with this. Valero's power and Ayala ability to hold his own with Pipino Cuevas at age 14 are very impressive.

Neither of them really impressed me bacause I considered the oppostion: They would have had to have performed like that against opponents I respected before I would have been ready to annoint them world-beaters.

Poet
                  With the exception of McCall and Golota, all of their careers were derailed before the got the chance to accomplish anything significant.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
                    I'm mulling it over at the moment and will decide but I lean toward ibeabuchii, valero or mccall (I have no clue why). I'll decide en la maņana.

The evil in me makes me want to choose golota to "f" with people :
                    I personally believe Golota was an exceptional talent who if not for his own demons and anxieties may have been great.

Comment

Working...
                    X