Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones Jr. Financial Issues Explained By Promoter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the oldest sayings in boxing, the first warning every aspiring fighter hears long before they've ever entered a ring, is that the most dangerous punch, the one to fear most, is the one you never see coming. While the cliché is certainly true at the start of a career, it rarely holds up toward the end. This is because almost none of the great fighters in history ever stopped after that punch — and the history of the sport suggests that few can ever escape it. Pacquiao, despite earning a reported $174 million since 2009 from boxing and endorsements deals, is no different.

Why? Because, of course, boxing's not so well kept dirty secret is that, financially, most fighters can never stop. No matter how outlandish a fortune they've earned inside the ring and out, most greats not only never get ahead, few can even manage getting out from under. They never put much distance between themselves and where they came from. With few exceptions, they all end up desperately needing one more payday. And then another. And then another. Most are forced to hang around so long their endings are consummated by the uglier, more sinister punch that they all saw coming a mile away. Joe Louis, at 37 years old, was never blindsided by the physical punches that Rocky Marciano landed to knock him helplessly out of the ring and the sport. No, the punch he never saw coming and what set him up for Marciano's right hand was debt — in his case, to the government. Louis owed the IRS $500,000 and had nowhere else to go and get it but back into the ring.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/201...t-2013-profile

Comment

I wonder how many fights does roy has to fight

Comment

Mayweather should lend him a helping hand. Then again, he's too much of a selfish, ghetto thug to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchMeIDareYou View Post
          Mayweather should lend him a helping hand. Then again, he's too much of a selfish, ghetto thug to do so.
          Why the fuc should Floyd help him? You're a Sad pathetic fool

Comment

1) Mayweather is next. From what I have seen he is blowing through money like it is going out of style. I don't think they realise what spending a significant chunk of wealth, you cannot consistently accumulate, will do.

2) He's under no obligation to help Roy the same way the next rich boxer won't be under any obligation to help Floyd when the tax man is hiding under his bead.

3) Do people really think they're slick when using words like ghetto & thug?

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
              No fighter enjoys getting KTFO.

You have to be doing it for money.
              Yep, I knew for at least 3 years now that he must be having money issues. Not the sort that HBO commentary team pays but the sort a boxing event would pay....Shane Mosley too

Originally posted by sterling View Post
              Finally it comes out, we all knew he was doing it for the money but he was too proud to admit it to anyone even now! it has to be his promoter that tells us the truth. Its a dam shame because as someone said before, no one enjoys getting knocked the **** out. Its crazy how much money he made and now he has nothing. I hope he clears his tax and its great what russia is doing for him.

Well for him to make more to clear his debt and clear whatever debt he owe to this russian guy he would need to continue fighting... Plus he still need to feed his family as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                1) Mayweather is next. From what I have seen he is blowing through money like it is going out of style. I don't think they realise what spending a significant chunk of wealth, you cannot consistently accumulate, will do.

2) He's under no obligation to help Roy the same way the next rich boxer won't be under any obligation to help Floyd when the tax man is hiding under his bead.

3) Do people really think they're slick when using words like ghetto & thug?
                I guess they think are. I just laugh at posters like that.

Comment

What a ******.

Comment

Instead of trying to spend a guy you hate's money, why don't you start a fund or lend him a helping hand?

Comment

Change the year to 2019 and the name to Floyd Mayweather Jr, and BOOM...You're in the DeLorean.

Comment

Working...
                      X