Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any of you taught yourself how to play an instrument?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently you haven't taught yourself to speakadaengrish.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
      Apparently you haven't taught yourself to speakadaengrish.
      You have to talk da Engrish to play the instruments? That's probably why I'm having such a hard time.

Comment

Originally posted by -The Glove- View Post
        Aight, guys...so what's a good starting point for an acoustic guitar? Something that's not expensive and would be good for beginners?
        http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-AJ100-LIST

Can't beat it for $99

Comment

Just buy a couple books, one that shows you basic chords and structure, and another for notation (playing riffs in key, and changing key in mid-song). Download or buy some song books, and just practice, practice, practice. You get out of it what you put into it.
          If you hang out with any musicains, ask them for help.

By the time you have a good handle on what material you have, you're well on your way. And the better you get the faster you learn and improve. It's progressive. Always try to keep it fun.

Comment

Originally posted by RlCKY View Post
            The guitar is easy to learn. I've been playing most my life and recently picked up the bass.

Don't learn chords first! Learn keys (C major, A minor, easiest ones to learn) first and modes (aeolian, ionian...look it up.)

Modes start at each different note and are a certain pattern from the top string to the bottom string of all the notes in each key. It is always the same for each key, but the root note (what key you are playing in) just moves around the fretboard based on what key you are playing in.

Once you know a key and what notes are in each, you can build your chords. It's all about patterns and repitition.

There's really only so much to be learned on the guitar. The rest comes with experience and creativity. I was lucky enough to take lessons from a great instructor.

It takes muscle memory, coordination, patience, and a lot of dedication. But it is the best stress reliever and hobby there is out there.

So you didn't really teach yourself then, eh!

Haha, nah, that's cool man, and great advice. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kadyo View Post
              You were 16 like 9 years ago. I was into zappa like 30 years ago or even more hahahaha.

Hey thanks for the gift. Long Live Zappa music!!!!

BTW the first song I learned to play by myself in the guitar is LET IT BE by the beatles when I was 10. When I reached teen it was all rock music to me.
              LOL you are lucky! I wish I could have been around in the days when he was making all that great music. It would have been great to able to see the progression of his music from The Mothers all the way through all of his solo career.

Comment

I have played Bass for a few years I taught myself but I need to know more. Whats the best way to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by jackson8 View Post
                  I have played Bass for a few years I taught myself but I need to know more. Whats the best way to do this?

I found myself in the same situation, and luckily found a famous recording artist who was pretty much retired, and man, what a difference a good teacher can make. I progressed in months what would have taken years to accomplish.

And...a good teacher should make you hungry to go home and practice the new material he shows you in each lesson.

Comment

Learn your minor and major scales, take a classical guitar class at a jc and learn to read music.

After that, its all up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Ruby View Post
                      Learn your minor and major scales, take a classical guitar class at a jc and learn to read music.

After that, its all up to you.
                      But then you're not really teaching yourself?

Comment

Working...
                      X