Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Where Does Roy Jones Belong On The List Of Greatest Boxers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
    I don't think Floyd or Tyson as high as rjj.
    Rjj went to heavyweight and won title. That must have taken something out of him. So should be forgiven even if he was to lose every fight after sacrificing his boidy to get the title at heavyweight.
    You must be rewarded for taking risks. Which rjjj did. He dared to believe.
    A title, not the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      I would never say Roy was prime in that fight, but he still looked great in the first few rounds. Tarver deserves credit for never panicking, keeping his eyes on the prize and seeing the openings in the face of all that hand and foot speed.
      RJJ's career didn't go off a cliff because he was "shot" or was so far past his prime that he could no longer physically win a fight. It went off a cliff because Antonio Tarver smashed his confidence into a trillion pieces and Roy being the confidence player that he was never recovered.

Was he prime? Obviously not but attributing his decline to anything other than having his confidence shattered is a joke and a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Roy was on a physical decline for a while.

From about 2000.
        "Decline"

It's called aging.

Are you trying to say Roy Jones started getting KTFO left and right because he went into physical decline?

Comment

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
          That's kinda tricky since Calzage retired undefeated and Andre ward. But yea I can see your point.
          Thank you, it’s all about what’s around in the relevant era and in his era he was way above anyone. However, Eubank or benn fighting him would have been something to see.
          I am an Englishman and would have always favoured either man against him but just watch him....unbelievable talent.
          Some just don’t get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            A title, not the title.
            Nice, he don’t quite squat for the power but deffo same as the Jones upper hook. Quality.

Comment

Originally posted by stealthradon View Post
              RJJ had 19 fights at middleweight, where 18 of them were against nobodies.
              Mailnga,Thomas,Tate? Nobodies?
              You dumb freak.

Comment

Originally posted by micky1971 View Post
                Nice, he don’t quite squat for the power but deffo same as the Jones upper hook. Quality.
                My sig you mean?

Great shot. See he loads up on his lead foot first, he would often follow that with a leaping left, notice Dykes raises his right to parry, a quick shuffle of his feet later and he is sending him to hell with a beautiful right hand.

You are right, very RJJ esque

Comment

Easily the most gifted of any error . Roy Jones fought hall of fame fighters in their prime and beat them in a fashion that I have never seen before. Roy made great fighters look pedestrian. I'd place Roy far above Floyd or Marciano, in spite of the fact that they had perfect records. When Floyd was at his peak RJ was considered #1 P4P for a reason. A case could easily be be made that RJ was the best that ever lived. RJ was on a different level, he did things that no one had ever seen or will likely see again. Just like Michel Jordan and Tiger Woods, RJ made the best of the best look ordinary.

I'm glad I was there to see it.
                  Last edited by factsarenice; 02-10-2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Thank you, it’s all about what’s around in the relevant era and in his era he was way above anyone. However, Eubank or benn fighting him would have been something to see.
                    I am an Englishman and would have always favoured either man against him but just watch him....unbelievable talent.
                    Some just don’t get it.
                    My personal view is that he was spectacular to watch in his prime, but he relied so much on his speed and reflexes, he covered up flaws that he always had.
                    I don't think he ever had a great defence, which is an important part of boxing, so I don't consider him a complete fighter. Once he started to slow down a little at around age 34, his lack of defensive skills, and ability to make adjustments he didn't have to before, became very apparent.
                    I would also question whether he ever had a particularly good chin, as again, he was so fast, he never had to. The chin thing is unknowable though, that's just a hunch.

Comment

Mailnga,Thomas,Tate? Nobodies?
                      You dumb freak.
                      166 is not MW.
                      The only thing Malinga had was the South African title, which he got from 24-14 Jim Murray.

He could maybe, just maybe, squeeze into SMW top 100 at the time, but it would be cutting it close.

Yes, Glenn Thomas who has a staggering two wins against anyone with more than 5 wins and a positive record. Of all the fights he has won their record is 178-415. He would maybe rank in top 10000.

The same can be said by Tate, except he has one decent win. And that's it. One. So maybe at his best he would rank in top 75.

Yeah, that's some high class fighters right there.

So if they are not nobodies, then low-ranking journeymen?

Comment

Working...
                      X