No announcement yet.

Hips and shoulders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hips and shoulders

Anyone have any tips on getting hips and shoulders into a punch? Even methods like cross training (swinging a baseball bat) etc.

A bat is very good. Are you training in a gym or home?

Comment

Hitting the heavybag is a pretty obvious one and maybe the best one?
      Also hammer swings to a tire, bat swings, med ball throws.

Comment

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
        Anyone have any tips on getting hips and shoulders into a punch? Even methods like cross training (swinging a baseball bat) etc.
        It really comes down to proper form and leading with the hips.

It's also slightly different depending on what type of punch you are throwing (a straight or a hook/upper).

Next time you're working with a trainer or a more experienced boxer, ask them to demonstrate or give you any tips. Feel how you normally punch then feel how you punch when your hips lead.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
          It really comes down to proper form and leading with the hips.

It's also slightly different depending on what type of punch you are throwing (a straight or a hook/upper).

Next time you're working with a trainer or a more experienced boxer, ask them to demonstrate or give you any tips. Feel how you normally punch then feel how you punch when your hips lead.
          That's the big ask, if he's training in an actual gym or just self-training at home.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            That's the big ask, if he's training in an actual gym or just self-training at home.
            Gym but I’m thinking of anything else I can do other than bags etc I’m thinking of more unique tips. Playing tennis, baseball, torso twists, etc

Comment

A broom handle across the back of your neck, across the shoulders, from the boxing stance, aim to get the end of the handle aiming straight forwards, for lefts and rights. You can do the same sort of thing holding the broom handle across the front of the hips as well. This method can help you to more easily visualise the work that the hips and shoulders are doing, and to engage properly

Comment

Originally posted by HeadBodyBodyBody View Post
                A broom handle across the back of your neck, across the shoulders, from the boxing stance, aim to get the end of the handle aiming straight forwards, for lefts and rights. You can do the same sort of thing holding the broom handle across the front of the hips as well. This method can help you to more easily visualise the work that the hips and shoulders are doing, and to engage properly
                Really nice idea thank you

Comment

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
                  I can certainly tell you how to strengthen your glutes (if this is what you mean by "hips"), shoulders, obliques and abs; if you want to learn how to punch with more advantageous leverage, one suggestion is to perform the punches very, very slowly against a heavy bag before gradually speeding them up. One reason why some boxers--Golovkin comes to mind--have great power despite lacking exceptional speed is that they use nearly perfect leverage, lining up their joints in an extremely efficient kinetic chain.

Comment

I was a very good tennis player in high school, choosing to pursue basketball in college instead. I do think that playing Tennis helped with certain mechanics, , but its better to do sport specific training. Even if playing tennis may help you activate your hips, you aren't going to hit a forehand with your left hand blocking your chin, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X