No announcement yet.

Josh Kelly: The New Pretty Boy of Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
    How about we see Kelly fight a few levels up before we start anointing him; after basically sawing through the first 5 fights, he's already been extended the full fight distance twice (10 rounds against Carlos Molina).

Let's see what he does with a guy like Diego Chaves, or Luis Collazo, or Jamal James first.
    A fair assessment, but there's a massive difference between where you are on Josh Kelly and where the thread starter is on Josh Kelly.
    Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
    True.... it makes me bite my fist in cringe when people compare him to loma purely because of that "matrix" style..

There's plenty of fighters out there that exhibit the style, one coming from the same gym in Ryan Burnett, i dare say we'd be laughed out the building if someone compared him to lomachenko lol
    Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
    He definitely looks like one to keep an eye on. Only been a pro 12 months so no need to rush him.
    I didn't compare him to anyone. Not sure where that's coming from.

However... Those saying it's too soon... When did Loma fight Salido?

All I'm saying is, there's nothing wrong with being tested. And Collazo quit last time out if I recall. I'd rather have someone that is young but a threat, so we can see how he copes.

Comment

saw the molina fight....

adames did better vs molina imo

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
        I didn't compare him to anyone. Not sure where that's coming from.

However... Those saying it's too soon... When did Loma fight Salido?

All I'm saying is, there's nothing wrong with being tested. And Collazo quit last time out if I recall. I'd rather have someone that is young but a threat, so we can see how he copes.
        Collazo just put out Sammy Vasquez Jr with a monster shot, after the Thurman stoppage from the cut.

Collazo is the old crafty fighter, still with fight in him, and all of the knowledge from fighting for as long as he had.

Collazo was stopped 15 years ago, with his only other stoppage being the corner for the Thurman fight. He's been outclassed, what, maybe twice in 45 fights.

If Josh Kelly had to fight Luis Collazo next, over 10/12 rounds, he doesn't beat him right now and that's pretty clear.

Comment

Collazo just put out Sammy Vasquez Jr with a monster shot, after the Thurman stoppage from the cut.

Collazo is the old crafty fighter, still with fight in him, and all of the knowledge from fighting for as long as he had.

Collazo was stopped 15 years ago, with his only other stoppage being the corner for the Thurman fight. He's been outclassed, what, maybe twice in 45 fights.

If Josh Kelly had to fight Luis Collazo next, over 10/12 rounds, he doesn't beat him right now and that's pretty clear.
          My opinion, you're grossly overrating Collazo. But let's look at it from another angle: styles make fights.

What other current fighter, stylistically, is similar to Josh Kelly?

Amir Khan.

What did Khan do to Collazo?

Certainly experience played a factor that night, but as Jeff "The Hornet" Horn recently showed the world, sometimes all you need is heart, guts, and a strong desire to win.

I think Collazo/Kelly ends up a clear repeat of Khan/Collazo.

Garcia/Kelly? Not so clear that Garcia catches him, but if he did, would Kelly be able to handle it? Fight is chock full of unknowns and thus way more enticing. And if he somehow got past Swift, he skyrockets up the ranks.

Comment

Pretty interesting posting

Comment

Stop rushing these prospects. Kelly will be just fine being seasoned until he is more than ready to compete with the top players of the division

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                Stop rushing these prospects. Kelly will be just fine being seasoned until he is more than ready to compete with the top players of the division
                Why was it ok to rush Loma but not Kelly?

For all we know the guy is a superstar that just needs the stage. OR, he's a flash in the pan that needs to be found out sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                X