No announcement yet.

Did Roy Jones Jr Duck Nigel Benn?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Roy Jones Jr Duck Nigel Benn?

BRC: Do you think Roy Jones Jr. ducked Nigel Benn and will continue to duck people that are "considered a threat" to him?

JS: Yes, I think Roy Jones will duck anyone who he feels is a threat. I don't think Roy likes to get hit, even in fights where the other guy is way overmatched Roy seems to be very cautious. Because of that, he's become a very dull fighter and I think anyone who has any skills at all is going have a tough time getting a fight with Roy Jones Jr. I feel he's afraid he's going to get hit and end up like Jerry Quarry, and it has really tainted his boxing career. I don't care to see him fight anymore and he used to be the most exciting fighter around.

JS is a guy called Jay Searcy former writer of Philadelphia Inquirer.

I also heard rumours that RJJ ducked a fight from Nigel Benn from a friend. Is there any truth to this and who do you think would've won?

Also anyone know why the James Toney vs Eubank/Benn fights never happened? I think we've all seen the youtube clip where Toney calls both fighters out and Eubank looks upset.
    Last edited by Pretty Boy1; 10-04-2008, 12:02 PM.

roy jones never ducked no one!

roy jones would fight anyone!

roy jones was the man!
    oscar9992 oscar9992 likes this.

Comment

roy jones jr's static is certified..who da hell is nigel binn..

Comment

Originally posted by larryx View Post
        roy jones jr's static is certified..who da hell is nigel binn..
        roy jones > nigel benn > joe calzaghe > steve collins > chris eubank

Comment

Jones was offered the fight with Benn at Super Middleweight but he chose to go back down to 160 to fight Hopkins instead.

Benn priced himself out of a fight with Jones later in his career though when he asked for $10m. He'd lost his passion for the sport after McClellan and just wanted a payday. He even admitted he thought he'd lose and would just swing for the KO.

Comment

quite the opposite. benn turned down the fight with roy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sithis View Post
              quite the opposite. benn turned down the fight with roy.
              Where did you hear that? I've always heard RJJ ducked Benn. I'm interested to know the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy1 View Post
                Where did you hear that? I've always heard RJJ ducked Benn. I'm interested to know the truth.
                sure. watch from 5:09 - 6:30 on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjvBqSDJJoA

Comment

Originally posted by Sithis View Post
                  sure. watch from 5:09 - 6:30 on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjvBqSDJJoA
                  So he's saying he actually offered Nigel Benn and Steve Collins (among others) a 7 figure contract for a fight and they turned him down? I've never heard this before! Thanks for the link Sithis.

Comment

Oh Roy Jones said it, it must be true!!

I mean just look how he chased down fights with the best fighters of his time. Everyone turned him down, Mike Tyson ducked Roy Jones!!111!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X