No announcement yet.

Spotify Pulls R. Kelly and XXXTentacion From Playlists, Stirring a Debate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotify Pulls R. Kelly and XXXTentacion From Playlists, Stirring a Debate

Spotify, the music industry’s leading streaming service, said on Thursday that it would stop promoting or recommending music by artists whose content or conduct it deemed to be offensive, hoping to quell a furor over the singer R. Kelly but immediately starting another debate over who qualified for the ban.

The company, which made its Wall Street debut last month, introduced its new policy regarding “hate content and hateful conduct” by citing two artists — R. Kelly, the multiplatinum R&B singer, and XXXtentacion, the troubled young rapper and singer — who Spotify said had been removed from all official playlists and recommendation features on the service.

While their music will remain available for streaming by choice, it will no longer appear in Spotify’s influential curated packages, which often appear on the service’s front page. “We don’t censor content because of an artist’s or creator’s behavior, but we want our editorial decisions — what we choose to program — to reflect our values,” Spotify said in a statement. “When an artist or creator does something that is especially harmful or hateful, it may affect the ways we work with or support that artist or creator.”

In the case of R. Kelly, Spotify added its voice to the growing chorus attempting to hold the singer responsible after decades of accusations of sexual misconduct. Last week, the Time’s Up organization, which formed around the #MeToo movement to support victims of sexual abuse, joined a grass-roots #MuteRKelly campaign that has called on his record label and concert promoter, as well as local venues, radio stations and streaming services, to cease its support of the singer.

A response from XXXtensions team

This is waters Spotify shouldn't wade into.

I think Its a good question. I'm sure if any of those other artists start making headlines then their material will be promoted similarly

Comment

GTFOH, I dont listen to either but you gonna start police this shit,

Comment

The Chick from Ace of Base, I saw the sign is a neo nazi?!?!?!? The f#ck. I love that song, but f#ck her ass now.

Comment

When does this sorta think reach down to regular people I always wonder? Like if you robbed a liquor store once upon a time does that mean you shouldn't be able to get paid for working at a used car lot today? Or are these rules just in play for "rich" or "gifted" people & their extra sh^t?

All in all Spotify can go f#ck itself. I'll decide the crimes my favorite artists can have committed to retain me listening to their music & buying their music. Spotify should just put out the content & stfu. No one is going to Spotify for Spotify's moral judgement on legal matters. They are going to Spotify to listen to f#cking music. Gtfo here with this bs.

I downloaded Spotify for the first time in a few years about 3 months ago, but uninstalling it today with their stupid ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            The Chick from Ace of Base, I saw the sign is a neo nazi?!?!?!? The f#ck. I love that song, but f#ck her ass now.
            Who gives a **** what she is

MJ might've diddled kids. Doesn't matter to me, I still love his music

Comment

When does this sorta think reach down to regular people I always wonder? Like if you robbed a liquor store once upon a time does that mean you shouldn't be able to get paid for working at a used car lot today? Or are these rules just in play for "rich" or "gifted" people & their extra sh^t?

All in all Spotify can go f#ck itself. I'll decide the crimes my favorite artists can have committed to retain me listening to their music & buying their music. Spotify should just put out the content & stfu. No one is going to Spotify for Spotify's moral judgement on legal matters. They are going to Spotify to listen to f#cking music. Gtfo here with this bs.

I downloaded Spotify for the first time in a few years about 3 months ago, but uninstalling it today with their stupid ass.
              well if your a felon it stops you from alot of stuff.

You cant own a car dealership if you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
                Who gives a **** what she is

MJ might've diddled kids. Doesn't matter to me, I still love his music
                I can't be down for no neo-nazi. F#ck that. Song ain't THAT good.

And now I know the sign she saw. The swastika. F#ck that b^tch.

Comment

Originally posted by .!WAR MIKEY! View Post
                  well if your a felon it stops you from alot of stuff.

You cant own a car dealership if you wanted.
                  Fair enough, but my point wasn't the specific of that situation so much as if you start deciding that people can't make a living at their chosen profession cuz of past crimes where does that stop?

Or like I said is this just about "being famous" & that being a privilege or something thus you can't have diddled a groupie & sell your music anymore or w/e thing they did or allegedly did.

Comment

Fair enough, but my point wasn't the specific of that situation so much as if you start deciding that people can't make a living at their chosen profession cuz of past crimes where does that stop?

Or like I said is this just about "being famous" & that being a privilege or something thus you can't have diddled a groupie & sell your music anymore or w/e thing they did or allegedly did.
                    this is just about it being famous people.

Remember what they did to Paris Hilton just cause she WAS FAMOUS they gave her the max time for a DUI and when she went she got 2 for 1 in the jail and got out in half the time and cause SHE WAS FAMOUS the judge went back and ordered her to be arrested and taken back to jail to do the rest of the time.

If she was a regular person she would have got the minimum sentence for a dui like everyone does and if they jail allowed her to do 2 for 1 she can and their will be no issue when she got released early if she was a normal person.

Comment

Working...
                    X