• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a top up degree in the uk??

and is it respectable?

does anybody know

cheers

any degree in oxford or cambridge. engineering in imperial college. economics in ucl or lse. Firms lists these schools as targets and go out of their way to recruit people from there.

Comment

Don't know what a top up degree is, and if you're asking here you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Oxford, Cambridge, Durham (guilty), LSE, UCL, Imperial, Bristol, Edinburgh are the most respectable I guess

Comment

You on the windup with all these degree themed threads?.

Comment

You're all too dumb to get a doctorate like me so just get a factory job yo.

Comment

D.D.S.

There are only three dentists in the entire country.

Comment

Do you mean "top" degree or "top up"

Don't know what top up is, but a top degree would be medical, law or something, on a lower level you have things like accounting and certain business degrees, basically go to a good uni, get something practical and make sure that you keep your average up

Comment

Medecine, Dentistry and Veterinary courses are the most competitive and only accept the most accomplished top performers.

So they would be the most sought after by an employer, providing they weren't looking for a candidate with a degree in a particular subject.

Comment

I imagine engineering, especially electrical, computer, science, petroleum($$$), etc. is the best degree to have in any country. After engineering, I would agree with every one else.

Doctor(physician, dermatologist, dentist, medicine, etc.). Especially dermatologist, that will always be in demand. Skin and hair are a woman's best friend, and more men are caring about their skin and hair now. Well they have been for a while.

Business (accounting, finance, economics). Because, business makes the world go around. Stay the hell away from business administration/management degrees though. If you get a degree in that, let me know, i'll get you job in the NYC sanitation.

Stay away from: Criminal justice, business admin/management, theater/performance arts, psychology(unless you're getting a PhD for an entry level job), graphic design, English literature, History. Most of these, do it if you're going all the way for a PhD and thinking of teaching them, otherwise a bachelor's or even Master's in them, can get you a job at a retail store. Don't get me wrong, some get lucky, but generally, the success rate for these degrees are low. Some of these actually rank among the top 10 worst.

Comment

I don't know about UK but I know in US it doesn't matter what you are majoring in if you are going to rely on your degree to get you a job you are better off not going to college and getting yourself in debt.

It comes down to internships and networking early on in college so you have a job lined up after graduating. So basically have an idea in what you want to do for your career. Keep up respectable grades and have a good internship lined up for your junior year of college or the summer going to senior and by the end of first semester senior year you should have a job lined up for after graduation.

Take advantage of the career centers. The on campus recruiters are awesome they are almost always looking to fill a spot with a young college kid.

Comment

Working...
                    X