Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we stop acting like 8 lbs is a huge deal? Enough with the fake outrage already

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
    In all honesty the Lopez fight was a much bigger sham than this.

Khan is a big WW, he has the frame and body type to make 155 comfortably. Now if it were at the full 160 lb limit then maybe I'd say otherwise. But 8 lbs is not a big deal for Khan. For others it might have been.

And I really don't have any stake in this fight so stop calling me biased. I don't like Canelo nor Khan. But I do admire Khan's willingness to do whatever it takes to get the big names and fights. Something that GGG should look into.
    But Golovkin is bigger than Khan and would be losing weight, not putting weight on. If 8lbs isn't a big deal, 5lbs is even less of a deal, especially if Canelo is so good. Considering Nelo comes in at 175+ anyway and Golovkin is around 171, there should really be no issue with 5lbs.

Feel free to keep defending Canelo, but I bet he'll come in 180+ for this fight, with Khan about 160. Complete sham of a fight.

Golovkin hasn't got names for want of trying. He's the most avoided boxer today.

Comment

Originally posted by Xoahr View Post
      But Golovkin is bigger than Khan and would be losing weight, not putting weight on. If 8lbs isn't a big deal, 5lbs is even less of a deal, especially if Canelo is so good. Considering Nelo comes in at 175+ anyway and Golovkin is around 171, there should really be no issue with 5lbs.

Feel free to keep defending Canelo, but I bet he'll come in 180+ for this fight, with Khan about 160. Complete sham of a fight.

Golovkin hasn't got names for want of trying. He's the most avoided boxer today.
      I didn't mean for GGG to force himself down to fight Canelo. I meant he should match Khan's eagerness to get a big fight in general. He could do what Khan is doing and simply move UP in weight to get a big fight. Or he could look around for 154 lb'ers with names to dry and take up. Do what it takes to get those BIG fights. But I guess that's not GGG's style.

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
        I didn't mean for GGG to force himself down to fight Canelo. I meant he should match Khan's eagerness to get a big fight in general. He could do what Khan is doing and simply move UP in weight to get a big fight. Or he could look around for 154 lb'ers with names to dry and take up. Do what it takes to get those BIG fights. But I guess that's not GGG's style.
        He clearly is eager - tried to get fights with Sturm, Martinez, Cotto, Canelo. Technically Ward too, but I don't think either party was that keen. You could put Saunders and Quillin in this list, but neither are truly big fights. Of course there was the ruckus with Froch and potentially something in the works with another SMW. I guess he just wants to see what Canelo does first.

If Golovkin forced a 154 to move up, there would be outrage and people would make excuses if the 154 lost. I'm thinking Lara here, who always calls out Golovkin after he's got a fight lined up, and hasn't tried to even create negotiations. If GGG beat him, everyone would say he struggled with the new weight, Golovkin cherry picked, and Lara was never elite.

I'm willing to give GGG until mid 2017. If nothing has worked out with Canelo, i'll lose a lot of respect for Canelo. If he has 3 belts by then, I'd wait to see if Saunders works out. If those don't happen, he should fight at SMW, and drop down again if Canelo begins fighting at 160. However, it's probably easier at his age to put weight on than take it off.

Comment

Working...
        X