Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Alan Minter never get a rematch with Hagler?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
    Pretty certain that Obel was Hagler's mandatory- deserving or not. Do you think Minter would have been healed up and properly trained to fight Marvin, instead of Fully, just a little over 4 months after their first match? I imagine Minter was in zero rush to get back in there with Marvin- he wasn't nearly as brave as you are- so Marvin went about defending his title and Minter went about having his career ended in a year's time.

I love how you're basing an immediate rematch for a guy on him having about a minute's worth of competitiveness with a great fighter! I guess in that tiny lil' window you saw how Minter could actually have had a chance to beat Marvin? I guess that's the out-of-the-box thinking you have- something Minter, his people, and 99.999999% of the fans in boxing history unfortunately do/did not possess.
    All I'm saying is that:
    1. Minter was not beaten decisively by Hagler. Yes, Hagler was handling him, but the fight was stopped on a cut, not because Minter was absorbing too many blows without responding.

2. Minter took the middleweight crown from the man Hagler couldn't beat the previous year (Yes, I've watched the first Antuofermo-Hagler fight... I scored it for Hagler but it was no robbery.)

3. Minter's resume was superior to many of Hagler's subsequent defenses.

Sonny Liston got embarrassed in the first Clay fight... couldn't even knock him out after rubbing chemicals in his eyes... and quit on his stool. He got an immediate rematch. I don't think it would be unreasonable to give the same shot to Minter (however, the rematch should have been in Boston Garden so that the cultured English fans wouldn't be able to voice their objections).

Comment

"cultered" hahahaha yeah like a soccer game hahaha!!! Listen I'll give you that Minter was a decent fellow, most fighters are but to say he was a high caliber middleweight is rubbish. As for Emile, in his day Emile outboxes out punches and puts Minter in his back pocket! Theres plenty of semi main event middleweight that don't have blown up records that would give Minter anything he could handle!! None of them would win titles but they'd fight Minter straight up!! Animal Fletcher, Hard Rock Green, Alvino Manson and a bunch of other guys considered opponents would give Minter plenty!
      As I stated he was stopped "alot" and a few times by men without the reputation of bringing power! Who the hell was Jan Magdziarz (15-10 ko'd 5 times) he beat Minter twice by tko and drew with a DQ for both men not "engaging"!! hahaha Really stop the BS about this guy. He had a good win with Vito who was a nut to fight. He even beat him in Vegas or NY I think so congrates but this guy had ordinary skills and other than peaking at the top for a wink he had an ordinary record. Ray.

Comment

SBleeder....

Please, stop. You're a smart guy burying yourself in idiocy. You're 31.....making you how old when this fight happened? You have no idea what the climate was like around that fight afterwards to speak about it the way you are, especially with your absurdly contrarian ways.

Just go and watch that third round again, ya smart dummy. Hagler wrecked Minter in that round. It's why Minter didn't want a rematch. It's why no one in the world besides your 31 year old ass thinks there should have been a rematch.

Minter got cut easily and would have fared no better in a rematch. The world in '80-'81 knew this, but you're here in 2013 to tell us otherwise. Get over yoyrself, you fraud.

Comment

If my memory serves me correctly Hagler started the race baiting by saying "I'll never lose to a white boy" which prompted Minter to respond with his equally pathetic crap. I could be wrong though.

The late 70's / early 80's were a bit of a troublesome time in the UK when it came to race too.

I don't think Minter would have fared any better in a rematch. His brittle skin (downing pints of lager does not help ones complexion) was always a problem throughout his career.

I may have shared this story before (I've downed too many lagers over the years) but Alan Minter fell on me once. He was THIS close to getting the back of my hand. It was at the Duke McKenzie Cesar Soto WBO Bantie bout in Hammersmith. Soto was only a kid then & would go on to inflict Jose Luis Castillo's first loss as well as defeating many other decent fighters. The fight was at a leisure centre & the bar was above the main hall & had a glass wall overlooking the ring. Before the main event they introduced all the boxers in attendance including Lloyd Honeyghan, Billy Schwer, Dennis Andries (who had narrowly lost his title the night before) & then they called "Alan Minter".....

"Alan Minter"......

"Alan Minter"......

Someone shouted "He's in the bar" & everyone looked up to where I was buying a round. Minter heard his name & stumbled back, over me (he's ****ing huge) & raised his drink to the cheering crowd below.

I also remember Frank McAvennie was there with a couple of Page 3 girls.

Comment

Even if the fight had of been competitive, it's very doubtful that Hager would have given Minter a rematch.

He vowed never to fight in Britain again after the vicious level of racism that he encountered.

I don't think he would have gifted Minter a shot at redemption after that.

Comment

MInter got that foot up the old Keister by Hagler, and didn't want none.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
                I never saw Alan Minter vs. Mustafa Hamsho, but for those that did, was it a robbery or a correctly judged fight?
                It was judged correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  As I stated he was stopped "alot" and a few times by men without the reputation of bringing power! Who the hell was Jan Magdziarz (15-10 ko'd 5 times) he beat Minter twice by tko and drew with a DQ for both men not "engaging"!!
                  Did you BoxRec his record?

Comment

I remember the fight being one sided n don't remember anyone wanting to see it again. also minter beat antuofermo fair n square, I think he did it twice but whichever he got his belt fair n square, chpped up vitos eyebrows reall good so I don't take nothing from minter but haggler gave him a beatin. I think wasn't ther a point in that fight when his mouthpiece or a gob of Vaseline came loose and haggler hit it in midair? if they had fought again, I woulda watched it but nobody woulda been thinkin minter had a chance to win it

Comment

Let me tell you something D-mize there are few if any fighters from England who venture out to learn. They home feed these guys then bring IN a title that they feel they have a shot at! Oce in a while they'll actually put up some real money, once in a while hahaha!!!! The guys with talent don't need that kind of treatment because they're "spoiled" and unprepared when they meet the real deal. Minter was a decent fighter but he fought alot of ordinaries and he got beat by some of them too! Yes I looked at boxrec because I don't remember the names of ALL the ordinaries that visit England through the years! Thats alot of "old names" on the down side who helped more than anyone else build the names of the "elite" fighter there! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X