Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympics Judo Star "The Colossus" On UFC:"It's A Sport Where There Is No Moral Value"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympics Judo Star "The Colossus" On UFC:"It's A Sport Where There Is No Moral Value"

6 ft 8 in / 295 lb, 23 years old "The Colossus"

Teddy Riner, considered by many as the best judoka on earth and the favorite to win the Gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics, Judo is Huge in France and he gave his opinion on the UFC & MMA in a French paper:

On the UFC:
    "It is a sport where there is no moral value. The rules are basic: Do not strike in the eyes and genitals ... It's the least we can require, right? I have two nephews and a niece, and I mainly did not want to see them fight like that. When there are violent sports on TV, it's simple, I zap! "

On MMA:
    "Fighting in a cage doesn't appeal to me," said the Frenchman, adding that MMA lacks the traditional respect in a martial art and promotes brutal attacks not allowed in judo. "There is no moral code in MMA. I am a warrior on the tatami, but you always have to respect your opponent."

For information, Teddy has received numerous contract offers to fight in Japan since he's 18-year-old, but he always turned them down. He was offered to fight Satoshi Ishii in 2009.

http://www.lemonde.fr/jeux-olympique...8_1616891.html
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blog...an-option.html

Teddy Riner:
    -> Competes in the +100 kg division (220lb+)
    -> 23-year-old
    -> 6 ft 8 in / 295 lb
    -> Won Olympic Bronze at 19-year-old (2008 Beijing)
    -> 5-time World Champion: 2007 Rio de Janeiro/2008 Levallois-Perret/2009 Rotterdam/2010 Tokyo/2011 Paris
    -> 2-time European Champion: 2007 Belgrade/2011 Istanbul

And he doesn't need MMA with all the endorsements he gets from Adidas, Gatorade, etc., and judokas are paid, here are the numbers concerning Teddy: He signed a 4-year/336 000euros contract in 2009 with Levallois Sporting Judo Club (7 000euros per month). He was offered 10 000euros per month from Lagardère Paris Racing Judo Club but he refused. He made 300 000euros in 2009 alone for the Beijing Olympics. He also got paid 1 million euros in 2011..... So no Dana you will not get him, and he will not be the next Beast of the UFC, sorry.

http://www.leparisien.fr/abo-sports/...009-555018.php
    Last edited by ksan; 07-29-2012, 10:36 AM.

Comment

class act

Comment

It's a shame. This guy is very marketable.

Comment

Originally posted by r.Gooner View Post
          your sig is very marketable

Comment

Somewhat interesting, considering judo is a very recently developed, sanitized version of original jujutsu.

Comment

This guy is correct, especially when you have guys in the UFC calling themselves JJ practitioners after learning a few moves. Last I've checked, you have to go through a belt system to be labeled a martial artist. The UFC has become a fad anyways.

Comment

Teddy Riner is an absolute beast.

I agree with him about UFC. I would say that some promotions have class, but UFC is certainly not one of them. M-1 and OneFC are classy current promotions. KSW in Poland is also pretty decent, and Japanese MMA is generally classy as well (although it currently is consisting of smaller shows).

Comment

UFGhey are bum fights.

Comment

Originally posted by r.Gooner View Post
                    Your sig needs to be in the hot Olympian thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X