Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pernell whitaker is the greatest defensive boxer not floyd.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
    What active fighter does Benton remind you of?

His style looks very familiar.
    besides th obvious guy you are refering, Chris John as well..

Comment

• Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
      Didn't Floyd suffer a broken nose once? I might be wrong but I know he was leaking against Augustus.

And, lets be real that was a passed prime Whitaker against a prime Oscar. And, I had Whitaker winning that fight.

Now for you second point. I know I am in the minority in this one. But, I could have a fighter skillset. Especially from the modern era. It would be Ricardo Lopez. I just love his style, his skills. I just thought he was a perfect fighter. Too bad he was so small...
      I love Finito but IMO, I always thought that Sal Sanchez have a better skillset. And he did that against Gomez and Nelson. That may be biased though because Sal is one of my fave fighters along with KT. Lolz.

Comment

• Originally posted by tesla_power View Post
        I love Finito but IMO, I always thought that Sal Sanchez have a better skillset. And he did that against Gomez and Nelson. That may be biased though because Sal is one of my fave fighters along with KT. Lolz.
        You right about Salvador Sanchez. He was amazing and he did beat better comp than Finito.

Comment

• Wrong, that is just silly.

Technique wise, Floyd ****s all over Pernell as Floyd hardly EVER gets hit clean. Floyd uses superior technique with his speed & agility for his defense were Pernell just used speed & agility to dodge punches like Roy Jones which isn't very smart.

I am a huge Pernell fan and he is a definite ATG who had many injustices in his career, but Floyd is the greatest defensive boxer in boxing history IMO. Even though I would take Pernell in a fight between the 2.

Comment

• Comment

• Pernell made defense as much fun to watch as offense. His defense is certainly more flashier than Floyds and pleasing to the eye especially when watching highlights. By comparing the two you are comparing a great flashy defense vs a great fundamental defense. But what you have to look at is not whose defense is more pleasant to watch or wows you but which defense caused a fighter to get hit the least, while making their opponent pay for their mistakes. What Pernell had was a gift from God, thats not something that you can teach to someone much like you can't teach someone height. Floyd's defense is more fundamental and took years of schooling, patience, the right techniques and being disciplined. Granted there were no compubox stats back then to tell you the exact amount being landed on Pernell it is safe to say that from watching his fights that he got hit more than Floyd does.

They are both masters in their own right as they both mastered the art of defense but on the etreme opposite sides of the spectrum, one with flash and the other with fundamentals. I can't say which is better as its based on preference but if i had to choose one i would choose Floyd's defense because he got hit less and his is more effective in the sense that he makes you pay with every missed or blocked punch whereas Pernells was more flashier and you would miss period.

Comment

• Any up and coming young stars that are like pernell? i know he is training a few but i guess that talent is all natural

Comment

• you cant compare floyd to pernell

floyds competition is nothing like what pernell had to face

think of it this way. pernell even fought felix trinidad

this is pernell from the 84 olympics. why hasnt floyd

fought so many of the top fighters of his era. he only faced
                  oscar and mosley whnen they were granddaddies

would floyds defence be so good if he had fought the elite ?nope

he got hit by a wide right hand in round 2 by mosley
                  is that good defence ?

Comment

Working...
                  X