Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any fighter in history jumped up 2 weight classes after being the Undisputed.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DLT View Post
    no. I actually think Taylor won both fights and Im a Hopkins fan. I think he won each by a round if I can remember correctly
    fair enough but majority opinion is usually the correct one especially when hopkins isnt winning votes because of his popularity.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
      .........champ in a division having been involved in a lineal title fight to then immediately become the universally recognised number 1 in another division the very next bout like Hopkins did after beating Tarver???

i know sugar ray robinson tried but heat exhaustion forced him to quit. (of course super middleweight division wasnt around then but it would have been 2 weight classes if todays divisions existed then)
      Henry Armstrong did it..4 weight divs at today's reckoning, also Barney Ross and very likely several others. Although not a champion, Young Stribling fought professionally at every weight from paper to heavy..

Emile Griffith ....

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
        fair enough but majority opinion is usually the correct one especially when hopkins isnt winning votes because of his popularity.
        IDK about that. I think Hopkins had a few people in his corner at that time. That was like the peak of "can the old warrior beat the new hot young kid". Either way, I dont think anyone thinks it wasnt close. Lewis-Holyfield wasnt close. This was

Comment

Both Taylor-Hopkins fights were real close where as LL won 9 rounds.

Comment

Nope. Plus Taylor wasnt undisputed when he fought Hopkins for the 2nd time since he was stripped by someone. So even if you do count that fight as hopkins winning, he wouldnt be undisputed. This is of course besides the fact that he lost both fights to Taylor

Too much fail in this thread

Comment

Leonard did, Though people seem to be disallowing Henry Armstrong's feat, he jumped from featherweight to welterweight which is similar to today's five weight classes. He however was undisputed with each title... all at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                Nope. Plus Taylor wasnt undisputed when he fought Hopkins for the 2nd time since he was stripped by someone. So even if you do count that fight as hopkins winning, he wouldnt be undisputed. This is of course besides the fact that he lost both fights to Taylor

Too much fail in this thread
                I didn't know the answer so I was asking a question.

Oh great Henry Armstrong in heaven, we salute you

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
                  Armstrong.
                  Won the featherweight title, went up 4 weight classes in today's standard and won the welterweight title then drop back down two weight classes and won the featherweight in a year.

Kinda blows Hopkins out of the water now, doesn't it?
                  Well considering the "athletes" in those days were chain smokers and binge alcoholics, not really.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
                    No he didn't.

Even for the welterwight title fight he only weighed in at 133lbs
                    That doesn't mean all his opponents did

Comment

Working...
                    X