Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a prime Marciano VS a prime Liston, who'd win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    No mate, Rocky Marciano would break his weak heart............ C'mon Ali vs Liston II. ------------------ that's why, only a man willing to go near death beats Rocky Marciano. You need more than a big punch and a fearsome face to beat Marciano, anyone has to fight a war with him, he's gonna take guys to places they've never been to.
    As if that's all Liston had.

Comment

i think liston would jab marcianos face to pieces

it would swell like a balloon and then leak out all over the ring.

there are great HW that rocky could overcome
      liston isn't one of them in my eyes.

liston had 84 inches of reach
      84 of them!

and marciano had 67 or 68, depending on who you ask

that's the same reach as manny pacquiao on the low end, and two inches shorter than tim bradley on the high end.

thats almost a foot and a half of difference between the two men.

even if marciano does make it to the finish line (and he's among the toughest men to ever box, so it's certainly possible) there's no way he's getting in the better work over the course of 15 rounds

think about that jab smashing him in the face round after round.
      what's he going to do, back sonny liston up to the ropes?
      he'd better bring his lunch. long night.

liston was a huge puncher who was likewise, tough as nails. he fought four rounds and some change with a broken jaw, when he had been pro for only a year

if rocky got past the jab he'd have those big fists to deal with throwing power punches.
      and combinations.
      maybe he gets to liston's body and takes away his legs and the steam on the jab, but i doubt it.

i really doubt rocky would finish the fight
      i think his corner would retire him after the 12th or 13th

Comment

Originally posted by FenechJeff
        I think you're living in a fantasy world, mate. Liston wouldnt be able deal with the Rocks clubbing punches. And he would NEVER stop Marciano. That's out of the question. Liston had a heart smaller than dingo balls.
        Walcott and Charles both put Marciano down, why wouldn't Liston be able to do the same? Rocky wasn't invincible bro, he could be hurt and had a very crude style that would be perfect for someone with a jab like the one Liston had.

Comment

listons inconsistency makes me lean towards marciano more. if ali could ko him sure as **** marciano kos him.

Comment

Don't forget Balboa vs Lang I.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006

I thought you were a respectable poster (even if you hug the balls of old fighters till they drop off), but resorting to a "black vs white" war is ridiculous. There are 1000s of examples of black fighters beating white ones and vice versa. I expected better.

Comment

Fair enough. I don't hug any active fighters' balls except Khan and Lemieux. Most of my faves are old timers. I think it's good to have a balance. Out of interest how many boxers from the last 10 years would you say are top 100 ATG?

Sorry for any disrespect

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                  Fair enough. I don't hug any active fighters' balls except Khan and Lemieux. Most of my faves are old timers. I think it's good to have a balance. Out of interest how many boxers from the last 10 years would you say are top 100 ATG?

Sorry for any disrespect
                  It's all good. For the record I think Hopkins, Toney, Pacquiao, Mayweather should be there. Marquez, Morales, Barrera can make a good case. Call them borderline. I don't put Heavyweights in p4p lists but if I did you could make a case for Holyfield. Just off the top of my head.

Poet

Comment

I'd put the same fighters in plus Jones Jr and Calzaghe (the latter being an unpopular choice around here). Do you have a top 10 ATG P4P?

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post

Sorry for any disrespect
                      And no offense taken btw. When you mentioned the old-timers I jumped to the conclusion that you took the opposite tact. My mistake! I do request dispensation because the vast majority of time I deal with people that bring it up usually do it in conjunction with some variation of "active-fighter-X would wipe the floor with those old dudes.....those crude dinosaurs didn't know how to fight"

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X