No announcement yet.

Jerry Quarry vs Jimmy Young

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
    I believe Quarry wins this one by disqualification! Though in Young's behalf, you will not see a finer set of man boobs box half so well. He rubbed them on Jerry one too many times for a referee who was probably the grand wizard of Alabama.
    A DQ pick? Now that is quite bold.

Comment

A lot of techniques work against men the same size which might be no good on men much larger. How would Young handle today's behemoths?

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
        A lot of techniques work against men the same size which might be no good on men much larger. How would Young handle today's behemoths?
        Do what Evander did with Valuev, stay close, keeping swinging away to chop down some wood.

Comment

Both at their best Young outboxes Quarry for the decision win.

Comment

As long as he can beat Firpo, folks must figure Young is the best heavy to never win a world title.

But what if it had been Young instead of Ali that night in Zaire facing Foreman? Could Jimmy have prevailed against a Foreman whose spirit was still intact, or would a mentally healthy version of George have mopped the floor with him?

Comment

These two great fighters give me troubles.

I’m not an old man yet, but nearing.
              I’ve had great middle age years … something Quarry and Young weren’t allowed to.

This week, a British study shows that also a single concussion vastly increases the risk of
              dementia.
              We don’t give it much thoughts when we’re younger.
              But later … when dementia might be lurking around the corner … you think about the fighters who paid a high price and start questioning boxing as a sport …

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                These two great fighters give me troubles.

I’m not an old man yet, but nearing.
                I’ve had great middle age years … something Quarry and Young weren’t allowed to.

This week, a British study shows that also a single concussion vastly increases the risk of
                dementia.
                We don’t give it much thoughts when we’re younger.
                But later … when dementia might be lurking around the corner … you think about the fighters who paid a high price and start questioning boxing as a sport …
                I heard Alex Ramos is starting to suffer from early dementia, and he's not that old.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  I heard Alex Ramos is starting to suffer from early dementia, and he's not that old.
                  Wiki: “Ramos began working in the sport of boxing doing other things inside the sport. In 1998, he established the Retired Boxers Foundation whose mission is to assist retired professional boxers in the transition from their glorious days in the ring to a dignified retirement.”

I remember a TV-team visiting the place. They marked a straight line on the ground for Ramos to walk on, but he couldn’t keep his balance.
                  Though, both Ramos and Bobby Chacon who was also there, were in a good mood, laughing and joking.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                    Wiki: “Ramos began working in the sport of boxing doing other things inside the sport. In 1998, he established the Retired Boxers Foundation whose mission is to assist retired professional boxers in the transition from their glorious days in the ring to a dignified retirement.”

I remember a TV-team visiting the place. They marked a straight line on the ground for Ramos to walk on, but he couldn’t keep his balance.
                    Though, both Ramos and Bobby Chacon who was also there, were in a good mood, laughing and joking.
                    He's not doing that well and had a falling out with a lot of guys in the RBF.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                      He's not doing that well and had a falling out with a lot of guys in the RBF.
                      The TV-program I referred to, I watched some 15-20 years ago. Back then, Ramos already admitted his career as a boxer had damaged him. So I believe, the years rolling by hasn’t been to his advantage.

Watched this interview with nice guy Gerry Cooney. He says he noticed difficulties with his memory.
                      Boxing takes a heavy toll.

Comment

Working...
                      X