No announcement yet.

Sam Cook appreciation thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -The Glove- View Post
    This man was, is, and will always be a legend. If you listen to R&B/soul then you've probably heard some of Sam Cooke. He also gets a lot of love from rappers, like 2pac, Nas, The Roots, etc. He's the man! He's the original "King of Soul".

Thanks for this thread Glove. You are the man homie. Green K is on the way.

Comment

top three greatest singers ever in my book...a change gonna come is the greatest song i've heard since i've been living...

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2ndzOnly! View Post
        Thanks for this thread Glove. You are the man homie. Green K is on the way.
        No problem, my man. I miss where music used to be at so thought I'd share some greatness with everyone. I'm still a youngin but I love that old soulful R&B.

Comment

a change is gonna come is an incredible song.

Comment

No problem, my man. I miss where music used to be at so thought I'd share some greatness with everyone. I'm still a youngin but I love that old soulful R&B.

Comment

Originally posted by ALPHAΩMEGA View Post
              Damn...Can't nobody do it like Stevie Wonder. Melodies are always on point.

Comment

I really grew up on Sam Cooke. My pops use to listen to him alot. We also use to go to a ton of Gospel Shows when I was younger. Not this new kind of Gospel that everyone does now but the very old school kind and Sam was in a group called the Soul Stirrers who still perform to this day. Rolling Stonges Magazine in 08 voted Sam as the 4th best singer of all time. Here is one of my other favorite songs that you guys didnt put up and the 2nd one is from his Gospel group:

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                  I really grew up on Sam Cooke. My pops use to listen to him alot. We also use to go to a ton of Gospel Shows when I was younger. Not this new kind of Gospel that everyone does now but the very old school kind and Sam was in a group called the Soul Stirrers who still perform to this day. Rolling Stonges Magazine in 08 voted Sam as the 4th best singer of all time. Here is one of my other favorite songs that you guys didnt put up and the 2nd one is from his Gospel group:

Good ****, DLT. I wish I would've had the chance to discover Sam Cooke sooner.

Comment

Good ****, DLT. I wish I would've had the chance to discover Sam Cooke sooner.
                    yeah, the Gospel stuff was still back in the day when people went to Church alot and it was forbidden to listen to Secular music, meaning non church music. Alot of the singers grew up in the Church but Sam was one of the 1st one's to leave the Church and go to R&B/Soul. He was criticized by alot of Church people for singing "The Devils Music". When he was killed, alot of Church people said it was because of him leaving the Lord for the Devil.

After Sam though, alot of the Church singers followed and were very good like The Staples Singers, Solomon Burke, and so on. All of them had big eternal struggles with wanting to do the R&B/Soul but wanting to please Jesus. Infact, when Sam 1st went solo with secular music, he still was doing Gospel so what he would do is put songs out in a different name so people wouldnt know it was him & be upset but his voice is so distinctive that everyone knew it was him. R&B/Soul wasnt easy for him back then either though.

Even Marvin Gaye talked about that alot and how he always stuggled with it which led him to making songs like Sexual Healing which was both Secular with a spirtual twist if you will. It was hard to do that because people wanted to make black singers sound white and make whiter type songs. He had to do it for awhile and then said **** that and he started his own thing.
                    Last edited by DLT; 05-01-2010, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Before i enterd the thread, i thought it was going to be about sam cook the uk model :P

Comment

Working...
                      X