No announcement yet.

Proposal to split California into 3 qualifies for Nov. Ballot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    I wonder if the new plan would also give each of the three additional electoral votes as well or just divide the current number of electoral votes. Currently California has 55.
    Good question. Texas has the right to create 4 new states in addition to a state called Texas. This right was earned when Texas joined the Union, thus there would 8 new senators but the number of representatives would remain the same.

I wonder if .CA negotiated a similar deal when it joined th e Union?

Comment

I just did some reading up on the issue. Both houses of the US Congress would have to vote whether or not to allow more states to join the Union. The new states would in fact have 2 New senators each. This has happened before when 6 counties of Virginia voted to leave the state and form West Virginia.

Difference between Texas and any other state splitting up is that Texas would not require US approval to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
        I just did some reading up on the issue. Both houses of the US Congress would have to vote whether or not to allow more states to join the Union. The new states would in fact have 2 New senators each. This has happened before when 6 counties of Virginia voted to leave the state and form West Virginia.

Difference between Texas and any other state splitting up is that Texas would not require US approval to do so.
        Thanks for the history lesson! That's pretty cool that Texas is allowed that kind of leeway.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          I wonder if the new plan would also give each of the three additional electoral votes as well or just divide the current number of electoral votes. Currently California has 55.
          It would increase electoral votes by four as every state gets electoral votes based on number of house seats plus two. They'd also get four more senators. Since these would all go Democrat Republicans might be "stupid" enough to allow it.

Comment

I agree with splitting up California but that map is a horrible way to do it.

Comment

Working...
            X