No announcement yet.

Changes In America

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes In America

I'm making this thread in the Adult Lounge because it seems to be the place you go when you want mature responses. I recently made a thread in the Lounge asking why DRZ had been banned, and before the 2nd page the thread turned into a discussion of "Hugo Normous" and his, umm, "private parts"

Anyways, what do you think of the major changes in the past 60 years or so? Some major changes are the following:

Less Racial Discrimination

Sex And One-Night Stands Are More Common

"Free Speech", otherwise known as a TV hosts right to insult whoever they damn well please.

Interracial Marriage/Dating is More Accepted

American Television Has Declined To The Point Where Lindsay Lohan And Her Fake Breasts Are Actual News Stories And Watching A Guy Eat Bull Penis On Fear Factor is "Must-See-TV."

Thoughts? Anything I left out?

Everyone is becoming sensitive, they get mad over stupid things.

Comment

Originally posted by Piggu
      I'm making this thread in the Adult Lounge because it seems to be the place you go when you want mature responses. I recently made a thread in the Lounge asking why DRZ had been banned, and before the 2nd page the thread turned into a discussion of "Hugo Normous" and his, umm, "private parts"

Anyways, what do you think of the major changes in the past 60 years or so? Some major changes are the following:

"Free Speech", otherwise known as a TV hosts right to insult whoever they damn well please.

American Television Has Declined To The Point Where Lindsay Lohan And Her Fake Breasts Are Actual News Stories And Watching A Guy Eat Bull Penis On Fear Factor is "Must-See-TV."

u left out biometrics, by 2015 or so, everyone in america will be required to carry biometric id. ever since reagan the govt has been wanting to make this happen.

Comment

Expand on this please. U seem angry.

Id say the media has caused the most change in western society.

Comment

Last 60 Years: 1946-2006.

Hmm. Well, that's a broad time period. We're talking about the period right after WWII, which includes the civil rights movement, the women's rights movement, the move to suburbia, and a bunch of other stuff.

Let's see. First off, technology is unreal now compared to then. The most complex computer in the 1960's took up three rooms and weighed like 30 tons; and you can now have as much technology in your pocket...so the invention of the transistor was major; and then the microchip.

The family structure has changed in that the man is no longer the sole provider with the wife staying at home raising the kids. As a result, possibly, divorce rates have increased, children generally are more disrespectful of their parents and have developed all sorts of attention-seeking complexe; and have more of a tendency to blame their social disorders on their upbringing than accepting responsibility for their actions.

This "blame-game" can be seen across the board. Socially, we are a society in decline while we may be advancing technologically. In 1946 and for several decades after, if two men made a deal, a hand-shake was often all that was required because "honor" meant something; and a man's word was his bond. Also, if two men had a violent disagreement, it wasn't uncommon for them to "take it outside" and settle it....and afterwards be fine with one another, whereas now, such behavior is considered barbaric. Law-suits over the most frivelous things are common place as everyone wants the easy money and generally thinks "the world" owes them something.

There were no such illusions in 1946, as people knew how hard life was and how hard they had to work to get ahead. Granted, now the standard of living is significantly higher; but so is the cost of living. For example, my dad bought a brand new car in 1978; and paid a grand total of $8,000 Dollars for it....that's 1/4th the price or at least 1/3rd of what a similar model "new car" would cost you today....yet wages have not significantly increased. The rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer, and the middle-class is essentially disappearing from our midst.

In 1946, and actually as early as the 1980's, you knew who your neighbors were. If you're hanging out with your friends at their house and you act up and get into it or do something you shouldn't, your mom would know about it as soon as you got home. Also, kids played outside more and were more sociable with one another, playing everything from "cowboys and indians" to "war" to football, baseball, and basketball, to hide and seek, to red rover, to red light, to simon says, etc, whereas now we've got a bunch of fat lazy little spoiled brats who stay inside all of the time playing video games and eating junk food.

In addition, in 1946 until just a few years ago, corporal punishment was accepted and encouraged when necessary...and nine times out of ten if you got a paddling at school, you'd get your ass beat when you got home. Fear was how children were controlled, and it worked. Sounds barbaric, doesn't it? Well, think about it....how many school shootings were there under the "corporal punishment regime"?.....none! Now, there are metal detectors to prevent or discourage children from bringing firearms onto school property. I went to elementary school in the 1970's and Jr. High in the 1980's....ask me how many times a gun was found on school property. That's right...NONE....unless you count the kid from the country who occasionally forgot to take his hunting rifle off his gun rack in his pick-up truck...or the kid showing off his brand new pocket-knife, sometimes making a trade with a teacher who collected them.

For every luxury we've conceived and every advancement in technology, we've lost some of our soul....we are losing/or have lost touch with our tribal roots and are so disassociated from each other that it is absolutely pathetic.

Sorry I wasn't a ray of sunshine; but that's today's America the way I see it...and there's more; but I didn't want to rain too much on this thread. ....truth hurts sometimes, doesn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG
            Last 60 Years: 1946-2006.

Hmm. Well, that's a broad time period. We're talking about the period right after WWII, which includes the civil rights movement, the women's rights movement, the move to suburbia, and a bunch of other stuff.

Let's see. First off, technology is unreal now compared to then. The most complex computer in the 1960's took up three rooms and weighed like 30 tons; and you can now have as much technology in your pocket...so the invention of the transistor was major; and then the microchip.

The family structure has changed in that the man is no longer the sole provider with the wife staying at home raising the kids. As a result, possibly, divorce rates have increased, children generally are more disrespectful of their parents and have developed all sorts of attention-seeking complexe; and have more of a tendency to blame their social disorders on their upbringing than accepting responsibility for their actions.

This "blame-game" can be seen across the board. Socially, we are a society in decline while we may be advancing technologically. In 1946 and for several decades after, if two men made a deal, a hand-shake was often all that was required because "honor" meant something; and a man's word was his bond. Also, if two men had a violent disagreement, it wasn't uncommon for them to "take it outside" and settle it....and afterwards be fine with one another, whereas now, such behavior is considered barbaric. Law-suits over the most frivelous things are common place as everyone wants the easy money and generally thinks "the world" owes them something.

There were no such illusions in 1946, as people knew how hard life was and how hard they had to work to get ahead. Granted, now the standard of living is significantly higher; but so is the cost of living. For example, my dad bought a brand new car in 1978; and paid a grand total of $8,000 Dollars for it....that's 1/4th the price or at least 1/3rd of what a similar model "new car" would cost you today....yet wages have not significantly increased. The rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer, and the middle-class is essentially disappearing from our midst.

In 1946, and actually as early as the 1980's, you knew who your neighbors were. If you're hanging out with your friends at their house and you act up and get into it or do something you shouldn't, your mom would know about it as soon as you got home. Also, kids played outside more and were more sociable with one another, playing everything from "cowboys and indians" to "war" to football, baseball, and basketball, to hide and seek, to red rover, to red light, to simon says, etc, whereas now we've got a bunch of fat lazy little spoiled brats who stay inside all of the time playing video games and eating junk food.

In addition, in 1946 until just a few years ago, corporal punishment was accepted and encouraged when necessary...and nine times out of ten if you got a paddling at school, you'd get your ass beat when you got home. Fear was how children were controlled, and it worked. Sounds barbaric, doesn't it? Well, think about it....how many school shootings were there under the "corporal punishment regime"?.....none! Now, there are metal detectors to prevent or discourage children from bringing firearms onto school property. I went to elementary school in the 1970's and Jr. High in the 1980's....ask me how many times a gun was found on school property. That's right...NONE....unless you count the kid from the country who occasionally forgot to take his hunting rifle off his gun rack in his pick-up truck...or the kid showing off his brand new pocket-knife, sometimes making a trade with a teacher who collected them.

For every luxury we've conceived and every advancement in technology, we've lost some of our soul....we are losing/or have lost touch with our tribal roots and are so disassociated from each other that it is absolutely pathetic.

Sorry I wasn't a ray of sunshine; but that's today's America the way I see it...and there's more; but I didn't want to rain too much on this thread. ....truth hurts sometimes, doesn't it.

another great post, kikade-san, hopefully i'll remmeber to give u some k later, the computer i'm on now doesn't allow any kind of popups

Comment

Originally posted by dr filth
              another great post, kikade-san, hopefully i'll remmeber to give u some k later, the computer i'm on now doesn't allow any kind of popups
              Thank you just the same, brother.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dr filth again.

Comment

Working...
              X