Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Resume Sugar Ray Leonard or Roberto Duran?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the guys picking duran, please explain,,,,,

SRL has more great wins,,, duran, benitez, hearns, hagler

duran has SRL, buchanon, barkley maybe,,,, then just alot of good wins but not great

Comment

• Its Duran.

Leonard's resume is just like his style, flashy. Duran was way past his prime and way above his weight class and his fight with Hagler was just as close as leonard's. It was a 15 rounder and the last round literally gave Hagler the win. It was 4 years before Ray faced Hagler and gave him his toughest fight ever, breaking his 8 fight KO streak. Its not always about wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        Its Duran.

Leonard's resume is just like his style, flashy. Duran was way past his prime and way above his weight class and his fight with Hagler was just as close as leonard's. It was a 15 rounder and the last round literally gave Hagler the win. It was 4 years before Ray faced Hagler and gave him his toughest fight ever, breaking his 8 fight KO streak. Its not always about wins.
        No offense, but what is it about,,,, your acting like duran's greatest accompliments is fighting top guys very competitively,,,, Yes it shows that duran had great skill, and toughness... But doesnt make his resume any better,,,

Morales did the same thing with maidana,,, but it really doesnt change morales legacy,,

I still can t find the wins on durans resume that is better or equal to
        srl's victories over duran, benitez, hearns, hagler,,,,,, that a who's who of elite fighters of that era and SRL beat them all.... plus a gold medal, plus defeating undefeated kayuble for jrmid world title,,,,

duran is best known as a great lightweight, and losing to all the fab four, and then fighting guys tough for the rest of his career like paz and camacho

Comment

• Duran, because of the gift decisions leonard got away with especially vs hagler or the draw vs hearns. Leonard lost those fights. Duran was more impressive

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Can the guys picking duran, please explain,,,,,

SRL has more great wins,,, duran, benitez, hearns, hagler

duran has SRL, buchanon, barkley maybe,,,, then just alot of good wins but not great
            This is a question one would ask if they only recognize a few names and not know much or anything about the other fighters on their records especially Duran's and that those fighters do not solely define the record of Duran like they do with Leonard.

Duran was a hall of famer and the GOAT at lightweight and fighter of the decade for the 70's before he ever even faced Ray. Both their fights against Hagler were equally as close but ray just has a W. Duran's loss to halger is greater then most fighters wins. Then he fought way above his weight and old against prime fighters and would win, just ask Davey Moore, Iran Barkley, Carlos Palomino, all excellent fighters.

Comment

No offense, but what is it about,,,, your acting like duran's greatest accompliments is fighting top guys very competitively,,,, Yes it shows that duran had great skill, and toughness... But doesnt make his resume any better,,,

Morales did the same thing with maidana,,, but it really doesnt change morales legacy,,

I still can t find the wins on durans resume that is better or equal to
              srl's victories over duran, benitez, hearns, hagler,,,,,, that a who's who of elite fighters of that era and SRL beat them all.... plus a gold medal, plus defeating undefeated kayuble for jrmid world title,,,,

duran is best known as a great lightweight, and losing to all the fab four, and then fighting guys tough for the rest of his career like paz and camacho
              Like i said, its not ALL about the W's. He was literally 1 round away from beating Hagler who was suppose to destroy the old man. Think about that. Comparing this to Morales losing to a fringe contender by a much larger margin in Maidana is nonsense. Imagine if Morales had an even fight with Floyd over 15 rounds. Thats a better comparison.

Of the Fab 4, he has the great win when he came up and beat up an absolute prime Leonard. Leonard was also outboxed by Hearns 1 for the majority of the fight and probably should have lost the rematch

You cant find the wins because you dont know the guys on Durans resume, you only know the fab 4

Comment

• Originally posted by swagswag View Post
                Duran, because of the gift decisions leonard got away with especially vs hagler or the draw vs hearns. Leonard lost those fights. Duran was more impressive
                hagler-SRL could have gone either way,, I thought hagler gave away the first 4 rounds and that cost him the fight, and the hearns fight probably should have gone to hearns,,, but they were both past prime, so if your going to use that fight then why not duran getting beat by laing, paz, joppy, and camacho

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                This is a question one would ask if they only recognize a few names and not know much or anything about the other fighters on their records especially Duran's and that those fighters do not solely define the record of Duran like they do with Leonard.

Duran was a hall of famer and the GOAT at lightweight and fighter of the decade for the 70's before he ever even faced Ray. Both their fights against Hagler were equally as close but ray just has a W. Duran's loss to halger is greater then most fighters wins. Then he fought way above his weight and old against prime fighters and would win, just ask Davey Moore, Iran Barkley, Carlos Palomino, all excellent fighters.
                Yes duran was a kingpin at lightweight,, moore i dont thank was an excellent fighter, same for iran, good fighters but not excellent and palomina was a good win but on the same level as Kaybule win for SRL... SRL win over hagler was close but not a robbery, duran clearly lost to hagler in a tough competitive fight...
                Duran was great in the 70's but SRL had wins over Benitez when he was P4p 1 or 2, hearns when hearns was a prime monster,,,,,

I still gotta favor SRL,,, he beat who's who of top elite ATGs in their prime, except for hagler who was faded alittle bit, but so was SRL coming off a huge layoff...

Just my opinion,, thanks for the discussion Russian

Comment

Like i said, its not ALL about the W's. He was literally 1 round away from beating Hagler who was suppose to destroy the old man. Think about that. Comparing this to Morales losing to a fringe contender by a much larger margin in Maidana is nonsense. Imagine if Morales had an even fight with Floyd over 15 rounds. Thats a better comparison.

Of the Fab 4, he has the great win when he came up and beat up an absolute prime Leonard. Leonard was also outboxed by Hearns 1 for the majority of the fight and probably should have lost the rematch

You cant find the wins because you dont know the guys on Durans resume, you only know the fab 4

Great post.

Comment

Yes duran was a kingpin at lightweight,, moore i dont thank was an excellent fighter, same for iran, good fighters but not excellent and palomina was a good win but on the same level as Kaybule win for SRL... SRL win over hagler was close but not a robbery, duran clearly lost to hagler in a tough competitive fight...
                    Duran was great in the 70's but SRL had wins over Benitez when he was P4p 1 or 2, hearns when hearns was a prime monster,,,,,

I still gotta favor SRL,,, he beat who's who of top elite ATGs in their prime, except for hagler who was faded alittle bit, but so was SRL coming off a huge layoff...

Just my opinion,, thanks for the discussion Russian
                    Moore Stopped Kalule after leonard and also beat Benitez and was a terrific fighter. Just because he was like 15-0 doesnt mean he wasnt good. He was the champ and Duran utterly destroyed him like those 2 guys didnt belong in the same ring. Iran just KOd Hearns who was a top P4P boxer and was massive compared to Duran.

Both Duran and Leonard has very very similar fights against Hagler. The leonard fight gets so much more attention because leonard actually got the W but the duran fight was 4 years before that and just as close but Duran didnt win it. The W or L doesnt matter because Duran came just as close to beating hagler as leonard did

Comment

Moore Stopped Kalule after leonard and also beat Benitez and was a terrific fighter. Just because he was like 15-0 doesnt mean he wasnt good. He was the champ and Duran utterly destroyed him like those 2 guys didnt belong in the same ring. Iran just KOd Hearns who was a top P4P boxer and was massive compared to Duran.

Both Duran and Leonard has very very similar fights against Hagler. The leonard fight gets so much more attention because leonard actually got the W but the duran fight was 4 years before that and just as close but Duran didnt win it. The W or L doesnt matter because Duran came just as close to beating hagler as leonard did
                      i know the guys that duran beat at lw,, buchanon, dejesus, etc,,,,,,

Not trying to say duran wasnt an ATG, he is,,,,

i just think that SRL biggest wins, trump duran's biggest wins,,,,

thats all,, plus he has a gold medal which always looks good on a resume,, just look at what it has done for zou shiming and lomacecko and rigo....

and yes maybe morales-maidana was a bad comparison, it is more in the league with duran-paz

list duran's top 5 wins,,,,, and then list SRL top 5 wins,,,,, I have to give the edge to SRL

But you make great points

Comment

Working...
                      X