Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prizefighting/boxing business experts: should amatuer styles be banned?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MASTERBX View Post
    All of this b*tching because lil g ducked Ward and Manny ducked Crawford. How many boring fights has Crawford been in? It not just his movement they are worried about
    hell, Chris Algieri moved a lot and he still fought him. It is his movement coupled with his punching power that's why they ducked him.

Unfortunately for you and HBO Floyd proved that "BOXING FANS" will pay big money to see competitive fights by highly skilled fighters. lil g is billed as an "exciting" fighter but he only got 97k ppv buys. HBO should stop trying to change the nature of this sport skilled boxers will always rise to the to top.

People will pay to watch trash get tooken out.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I wouldn't be opposed to boxing making scoring rules that discourage point fighting. MMA has a scoring criteria called cage control that tends to reward the aggressor & penalize the point fighters. This is one of the reason MMA fights tend to have much more aggression than boxing matches. Boxing would for sure become more action packed for fans with a similar scoring critera.
      Problem is america's refereeing.

That "potshots game" is helped by the fact that clinching is a true part of the sport in the US.

It doesn't help guys looking for mid range punching power, because once they are at the right distance and plant their feet, they are grabbed.

US ref hardly deduct some point because of excessive clinching.

You can postshot, but don't clinch, this is boxing, not facking judo.
      I can understand when a fighter is hurt he'll clinch, but other than that, that's killing action packed boxing.

You will check, but most euros fighters don't really look for the clinch (Kessler, Abraham, Kova, GGG, Josh, Liam Smith) even if some brits clinch a bit more.

It doesn't help euro fighters when they come to the US.

Remember Kessler vs Ward, not denying Dre's superiority but those clinching/dirty tricks helped Dre a lot to white wash Kessler.

Comment

Originally posted by TheUnbiased View Post
        The name of the game is prizefighting, atleast according to the boxingscene accountants within the last decade, making money is the number one goal. The sport of boxing just like every other sport works on a system similar to government taxation, hard working consumers(fans) shell out money in exchange for entertainment. Amatuer boxers are hungry youngsters who showcase there skills for free in hopes of one day becomming professional and getting paid. Rules differ between the two , amatuers wear head gear and are judged on a points system.

Blah, blah,blah , I got tired of trying to make this sht look professional . Long story short, amatuers do not try to hurt each other, pro boxers dont wear head gear and try to knock off each others heads. The fans want gore, and pay for gore. Should amatuer style , safety first, run all night boxing be banned on the pro level? The sport is at a all time low due to lost interest, should we the fans start shunning the boxers who play hot potatoe and shy away from giving us our entertainment?

The business side of boxing essentially does discourage or ban it. I.e. Ratings ppv buys ,purse split negotiations. truly Boring fighters aren't invested in and rarely get on tv unless they win belts. I believe rigo is a good example, haven't seen him fight in like 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
          Problem is america's refereeing.

That "potshots game" is helped by the fact that clinching is a true part of the sport in the US.

It doesn't help guys looking for mid range punching power, because once they are at the right distance and plant their feet, they are grabbed.

US ref hardly deduct some point because of excessive clinching.

You can postshot, but don't clinch, this is boxing, not facking judo.
          I can understand when a fighter is hurt he'll clinch, but other than that, that's killing action packed boxing.
          Oddly enough I'm more anti-clinching then anti-point fighting so funny you bring this up. I'd love to see clinching & holding banned 100% & penalized. Mostly my problems with it involves when guys get hurt guys will aggressively try to shut down their opponents offense with holding &/or clinching. I think there are a ton of times when a guy should be getting 10-7 rounds cuz of the KD & a point taken for aggressively holding. But for sure you are correct that holding is an often used tactic by guys I'd describe as point fighters in boxing & outside of the KD situations I'm bringing up & that results in a less action packed sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            I wouldn't be opposed to boxing making scoring rules that discourage point fighting. MMA has a scoring criteria called cage control that tends to reward the aggressor & penalize the point fighters. This is one of the reason MMA fights tend to have much more aggression than boxing matches. Boxing would for sure become more action packed for fans with a similar scoring critera.
            Mma also awards points for takedowns...whether they lead to anything effective, or the guy who got taken down gets back up right away. I disagree that there is more aggression overall in mma...you have to account for all the time spent in grappling stalemates.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
              Mma also awards points for takedowns...whether they lead to anything effective, or the guy who got taken down gets back up right away. I disagree that there is more aggression overall in mma...you have to account for all the time spent in grappling stalemates.
              I don't see that as a big fan of both sports. I mean sure there are those grappling stalemates with certain fights, but there are equally frustrating boxing matches with point fighters that tend to lead to uneventful fights too. Plus MMA fights are of much shorter duration so you kinda have to be more aggressive & when things suck they suck for less time then a point fight boxing match lasts. In a sense its like amateur boxers having to be more active as if you give up a round you gave up 33% of the fight. For most fights we talk about at best you're giving up a round only gives 10% of a fight away so you gotta be more active than a boxer with a lesser duration timetable to fight.

Comment

Working...
              X