Another reason Wilder isn't as popular as past U.S. HW champs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PensionKiller View Post
    How many PPV has he sold?
    There are very few successful PPV headliners in the US. It's been nearly 20 years since a heavyweight has successfully headlined PPVs in the US.

The fact that Wilder isn't a PPV fighter yet doesn't change the fact that he is one of Showtime's most reliable ratings draws. Why would we be criticizing the ratings of a guy that is drawing some of the best ratings on his network? Doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
      There are very few successful PPV headliners in the US. It's been nearly 20 years since a heavyweight has successfully headlined PPVs in the US.

The fact that Wilder isn't a PPV fighter yet doesn't change the fact that he is one of Showtime's most reliable ratings draws. Why would we be criticizing the ratings of a guy that is drawing some of the best ratings on his network? Doesn't make sense.
      So he isn't a PPV fighter as of yet when the likes of Tyson and Holyfield were.

What ratings does he get compared to those past HW champs?

Comment

The main reason Wilder is not popular is that he cannot box and is a total idiot.

Comment

So he isn't a PPV fighter as of yet when the likes of Tyson and Holyfield were.
          And? So he's not the most popular heavyweight of all time. Who said he was?

But he's the most popular heavyweight in this market in almost two decades.

Which is why this thread is so silly. He's the most popular since the Tyson/Holyfield/Lewis days, yet supposedly his "style" is the reason he's unpopular? The premise doesn't make any sense.

Boxing overall was far more popular in this country during the days of Tyson and Holyfield. It's much more of a niche sport now. We shouldn't be criticizing Wilder for not being as popular as Mike Tyson. That is not the era he inherited. We should be praising him for being more popular than Ruiz, Byrd, Rahman, Brewster, Briggs, etc. Those were the guys reigning while the public lost interest. Wilder is recapturing some of the interest. When something has been burned to the ground, you don't blame the guy who is trying to pick up the pieces.

Comment

And? So he's not the most popular heavyweight of all time. Who said he was?

But he's the most popular heavyweight in this market in almost two decades.

Which is why this thread is so silly. He's the most popular since the Tyson/Holyfield/Lewis days, yet supposedly his "style" is the reason he's unpopular? The premise doesn't make any sense.

Boxing overall was far more popular in this country during the days of Tyson and Holyfield. It's much more of a niche sport now. We shouldn't be criticizing Wilder for not being as popular as Mike Tyson. That is not the era he inherited. We should be praising him for being more popular than Ruiz, Byrd, Rahman, Brewster, Briggs, etc. Those were the guys reigning while the public lost interest. Wilder is recapturing some of the interest. When something has been burned to the ground, you don't blame the guy who is trying to pick up the pieces.
            I am glad that you can address that he isn't as popular as past HW' Champs.

Comment

I am glad that you can address that he isn't as popular as past HW' Champs.
              Isn't as popular as the most popular HW champs ever. More popular than the HW champs of the last couple decades. I'll take improvement over no improvement.

Comment

Well he's more popular than Charles Martin, Shannon Briggs, Hasim Rahman, Lamon Brewster, John Ruiz, Chris Byrd, etc.

So what you're really saying is that heavyweight boxing isn't as popular as it was in the days of Tyson and Holyfield and then somehow blaming that on Wilder's fighting style, which makes no sense.
                If he's the most popular American heavyweight in decades, what logic is there in blaming his "style" for his "lack of popularity?"

Maybe heavyweight boxing just isn't that popular in the US?

Are you really claiming Wilder's fights are more boring than the Klitschko era?!?

Comment

I don't like to argue opinions. He bores you. I have no problem with that. I enjoy heavyweight knockouts, grew up in the 80s obsessed with Tyson, etc and I have enjoyed watching Wilder's career. If you haven't, that's cool. No issue there.

The issue is you blaming his style for his lack of popularity, when the truth is that his style is the reason for his popularity. He's way more popular than Ruiz, Rahman, Byrd, Brewster, Briggs, etc and the reason is because of his style. He brutally knocks people out. That is what most fans enjoy. You're bored. No problem. Watch something else. But your premise -- that his style is why he's not popular, is silly because he's the most popular in decades.

They're not my friends. If they were my friends, I wouldn't consistently reveal their plans on this site. I have no loyalty to Haymon Boxing and have never worked for Haymon Boxing. I wish them nothing but success, but if I hear about what they have planned, I share it when I can.
                  All I'm asking for a one exciting fight. Two other people have named there's and I didn't argue their opinion. Can you name one out of thirty nine?

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
                    Stupid thread

All the guy does is knock people the f.uck out. He literally has a-bombs in his hands and made guys go into seizures.

Now that's not exciting anymore , f.uck Can't win with boxing fans. Bring back the good ol days of John Ruiz that was the golden era. Wilders is the most devastating HW puncher in how long ? Yeah let's complain

Wilders a breath of fresh air for the HW division along with AJ for his popularity and Fury for his personality. He got hammers for fists and he brings a personality outside of the ring.
                    Name an exciting Wilder fight.

Comment

Isn't as popular as the most popular HW champs ever. More popular than the HW champs of the last couple decades. I'll take improvement over no improvement.
                      I can assure you everyone knew the Klitchkos too some extent , Wilder isnt remotley popular like they were to say otherwise is nonsense.

1. Hes been in Alabama fighting all Haymon fighters and irrelevant fighs .

2 . Klitchko was a big deal bc he was supported by an entire country that HBO covered coupled with a more precise dominant style .Both Klitchkos had an appeal that Wilder doesnt and thats the aura of dominance both barely lost rnds.

3 . Even in Klitchko fights you knew it was the best guy in line as they continued to mow down everyone , wheather you liked their styles or not .
                      Last edited by juggernaut666; 01-23-2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X