Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather vs. Vasyl Lomachenko @ 130.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    IMO he's the best of the last era but I'd concede it's open for debate.

The last era, 00-10.

You say loses a rematch to Floyd like that is some reason to not be ranked highly? He lost to Floyd twice though. If you consider the first one a W for him then he HAS to be HOF calibur.
    No he doesn't. Sangsurat stopped Pac. Was he HOF calibur? Doing well against an ATG does not make you a HOFer. It's great but if it's your main achievement, how does that equal you getting in? The HOF has to have standards or else, what's the point?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
      You just said he beat Corrales and then you had to repeat it.

Cassamayor? Yeah, what a world beater. Haha. Marquez was a much smaller man and beat Cassamayor down to the mat.

Johnson? Eh.

Diaz? Really?

What else you got?
      Oh so you would also say that GGG isn't a hall of famer either right?? Because he hasn't beaten anyone at all other than danny jacobs. At this point it looks like Castillo has a better resume than your precious gee LOL

I guarantee you Castillo makes the Hall of Fame within a decade.
      Last edited by mcdonalds; 12-11-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcdonalds View Post
        Oh so you would also say that GGG isn't a hall of famer either right?? Because he hasn't beaten anyone at all other than danny jacobs. At this point it looks like Castillo has a better resume than your precious gee LOL

I guarantee you Castillo makes the Hall of Fame within a decade.
        I don't know about GGG tbh. I do know he made a hell of a lot more defenses than Castillo ever did. He also hasn't been stopped 8 times. Haha.

And you can't guarantee shlt.

Comment

Okay, let's take a good look. Shall we?

Castillo was 18-0 with no real names on his resume at that point. No big deal. Most guys don't. Good deal. Good start.

Then he gets stopped in two rounds by Cesar Soto. No exactly signs of greatness. But hey, let's not write him off. Pac had early losses too. It's all good.

He beats a couple of stiffs and then takes on a guy named Javier Juaregui. Ever heard of him? I know I haven't. His 29-5-1 record doesn't exactly inspire big expectations. Well he stops Castillo though in ten rounds. Once again, Castillo fails to win the Mexican featherweight title. The Mexican title.

Castillo beats a few more guys who are basically cans and then he gets another shot at Juaregi. Oops. Stopped in the tenth round again. And again, for the Mexican title.

Not looking good so far.

Has a string of nine wins against soft touches. Then he steps up against a guy named Julio Alvarez(hey he's an Alvarez and so he must be great right?). Oops. Once again, Castillo is stopped in the tenth round. Alvarez was 18-4.

Castillo beats through another string of five cans and then he faces Jorge Paez. Okay, not too bad. Paez is a former champion and a name. However, that's about it, considering that DLH stopped this guy in two rounds five years before this. But hey. Castillo wins the prestigious IBA Super Featherweight Title.

Okay, now he beats Steve Quinonez. Decent fighter. Decent win. Not bad.

Then he steps in with Stevie Johnston and eeks out a majority decision to capture the WBC title. Excellent! However, you have to wonder about Castillo beating Johnston was the upset of the year. I'm thinking no one took Castillo seriously at all. But still, great win.

Then he draws with Johnston in the rematch. Okay, a draw is not a win but you know. He keeps the belt.

Then he beats Cesar Bazan and Seung Ho Yuh. Good wins. Not great, but good.

Then he beats veteran Fred Ladd and journeyman Juan Angel Macias in non-title fights in Mexico.

Then, ah, the feather in his cap. He loses a close fight to Mayweather which most fans believe he won. Can't knock that one.

After beating up 43-40 Verdell Smith, he takes on Mayweather again but is clearly beaten soundly this time. Not good.

He beats a few no-hopers and then beats Juan Lazcano and regains his now vacant WBC title. Then he beats Casamayor by razor-thin decision. Not bad. Not great.

Then he defends against Diaz and wins in impressive fashion. Not bad. Pretty good win.

Then he engages in the unification fight with Corrales which proves to be an instant classic. However, at the end of the day, he does get stopped. And let's point out that if every good involved in a great fight gets into the hall, it's going to be a very weak hall. By this logic, you have to put Micky Ward in.

Moving on.

He gets the rematch with Corrales and beats him clearly in four rounds. Good win.

He beats Rolando Reyes and then earns a razor-thin decision over Hermann Ngoudjo for a shot in a WBC Super Lightweight Title eliminator.

Castillo faces a top flight opponent in 42-0 Ricky Hatton. Now we're talking. Only, Castillo is wiped out in four rounds.

Ah, damn.

From here, he goes 11-5 for the remainder of his career, facing Jorge Paez, Jr in a loss and Ruslan Provodnikov in another loss and Alfonso Gomez in yet another loss.

Now let's review. Castillo finishes with a tally of 66-13-1(57 KOs). Now 57 KOs is impressive and I don't care who you're knocking out, which is a good thing because he had about what? 3 significant KOs and the rest were subpar? Still, I like the KO ratio. Castillo could bang.

Castillo held one world title in one division, unless you count the IBA Super Feathrweight title which I just couldn't bring myself to do. Is the IBA still even in existence? He did hold that title twice though, defending it three times in his first reign and twice in the second reign. Hhmm.

8 of Castillo's losses came by stoppage or KO as well. I mean, it's really hard to find an argument here. Obviously Castillo was considered a journeyman or gatekeeper type before beating Johnston. I think he basically goes down as a guy who achieved more than most thought he would but by no means was he great or deserved to be alongside guys like Chavez, Sr. and Duran for being a great lightweight or the supposed best of his era which must have been a very short era.

Good career, but not even close to great.
          Who said he was a great? You don't have to be great to be HOF calibur.

Nice Boxrec esque run through. Mostly out of context. All these lower level guys he fought in Mexico were due to his little to no amateur experience obviously and he took L's learning on the job and then to which meant he faded out quick like alot do when that's the case. Including Hatton? Really? When he when he was finished? Silly.

Interesting you're saying Johnston was a great win now. What happened to it being "eh"?

When Castillo hit his peak he was the #1 Lighweight in the world and he beat a string of top level guys. No more to be said really.

He held "one title" yeah the Lineal one. To compare him to Mickey Ward who wasn't even a legit world champion is ridiculous.

I would suggest further revision.
          Last edited by IronDanHamza; 12-11-2018, 02:08 PM.

Comment

No he doesn't. Sangsurat stopped Pac. Was he HOF calibur? Doing well against an ATG does not make you a HOFer. It's great but if it's your main achievement, how does that equal you getting in? The HOF has to have standards or else, what's the point?
            Did that comparison honestly sound good in your head?

Singsurat did nothing except stop Pacquaio.

Castillo was the #1 guy at LW and beat numerous top level opposition.

If you add a win over Mayweather ontop of his already very good career there is no doubt what so ever that he deserves a HOF spot.

Comment

Who said he was a great? You don't have to be great to be HOF calibur.

Nice Boxrec esque run through. Mostly out of context. All these lower level guys he fought in Mexico were due to his little to no amateur experience obviously and then to which meant he faded out quick like alot do when that's the case. Including Hatton? Really? When he when he was finished? Silly.

Interesting you're saying Johnston was a great win now. What happened to it being "eh"?

When Castillo hit his peak he was the #1 Lighweight in the world and he beat a string of top level guys. No more to be said really.

He held "one title" yeah the Lineal one. To compare him to Mickey Ward who wasn't even a legit world champion is ridiculous.

I would suggest further revision.
              Must have got lost in the writing. I'll retract Johnston being a great win. I'm still Eh about it for sure. What did Johnston ever do really?

So you don't have to be great to be HOF caliber. Well, I guess he and plenty of other non-greats get in then. Not much to brag about then I guess. Huh?

Okay, throw every Mayweather opponent in then. Might as well. I mean, they don't have to be great after all. Add all of Pac's opponents, too. Jeff Horn, come on down! You get a prize, too!

Comment

I don't know about GGG tbh. I do know he made a hell of a lot more defenses than Castillo ever did. He also hasn't been stopped 8 times. Haha.

And you can't guarantee shlt.
                Those title defenses don't mean much when the division is absolutely trash.

Castillo has the better resume as of today

My word is gospel, Castillo #HallofFamer by 2029

Comment

Did that comparison honestly sound good in your head?

Singsurat did nothing except stop Pacquaio.

Castillo was the #1 guy at LW and beat numerous top level opposition.

If you add a win over Mayweather ontop of his already very good career there is no doubt what so ever that he deserves a HOF spot.
                  Steve Johnston, Casamayor and Diaz and Corrales? Man, we just have to agree to disagree. He also beat these guys by thin margins man. Wasn't like he was dominant at all. I think he's just getting more credit for beating Mayweather although technically he didn't do that. Just can't see it. I vote no. And you vote yes. And that's the way it will stay.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcdonalds View Post
                    Those title defenses don't mean much when the division is absolutely trash.

Castillo has the better resume as of today

My word is gospel, Castillo #HallofFamer by 2029
                    Well yeah. Castillo's defenses were all clearly household names.

Your word is dogshlt like always.

Comment

Must have got lost in the writing. I'll retract Johnston being a great win. I'm still Eh about it for sure. What did Johnston ever do really?

So you don't have to be great to be HOF caliber. Well, I guess he and plenty of other non-greats get in then. Not much to brag about then I guess. Huh?

Okay, throw every Mayweather opponent in then. Might as well. I mean, they don't have to be great after all. Add all of Pac's opponents, too. Jeff Horn, come on down! You get a prize, too!
                      Are you under the impression that only great fighters are inducted into the HOF?

I would again consider further revision on the subject.

Seems like your comments are that of someone looking at Boxrec and don't really know of these fighters really.

Johnston certainly underachieved in his career compared to what was expected of him but he was still a respected World Champion and considered one of the best at Lightweight when Castillo beat him. That's "eh" to you Except when Boxrec says it's Upset of the year then its great for a moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X