Would you oppose a PBC world title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
    Why or why not?

Personally I was totally against a PBC world title when that was in the rumor mill. It was just going to be another trinket but now it makes a lot more sense. I think the sanctioning bodies over the passed couple years have become abundantly greedy by ripping boxers and fans off and adding to the divide in boxing. If PBC had all their fighters drop their belts minor and world, itd really stick it to the sanctioning bodies and itd set up some nice tournaments within their own brand. In a perfect world there wouldnt be a divide between promotions but its not that way so hopefully Haymon continues to maximize his clients revenue and drops their belts and forms his own title...
    More muddying of the waters. Think about how their champs would be:

The HW champ Wilder - Glass jawed fraud.
    LHWT Champ Stevenson- Glass jawed fraud.
    MW Champion- Winner of Glass jawed fraud and glass hearted fraud
    WW Champ- Legit probably. If Shawn Porter beats Thurman he has a legitimat should for best 147 in the world. Thurman if he beat Porter would be a guy with one good win, but still obviously a good fighter.
    FW Champ probably GRJ, a good ( Maybe great in the future) fighter who would have been beaten easily by the true champ Loma.

It would be a joke, and people would rightful call it a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by saint laurent
      $5 million almost put the WBC out of business. What do you think $500 million can accomplish?
      except that $500 million is now down to maybe $200 million, with no clear path as to how it will be profitable enough to purchase new tv dates after the existing contracts run out.....

Comment

I wouldn't be in favour. As another said, i think it will add to already muddy waters. Would be worthless IMO.

Not sure how it would work? Only certain fighters can fight for the title..it becomes kind of pointless. It would create even more of a 'cold war'.
        Last edited by Chrismart; 11-20-2015, 05:13 PM.

Comment

No

The point of a PBC belt would be to eliminate the other belts. So instead of 4, you'd have 1. PBC is trying to take over the entire sport. The 4 belts will eventually be extinct.
          So you will get rid off all the belt and have only Haymons?ala UFC?I can tell you 1,000 things why it wouldnt work but the main one will be ,he will say who goes and who stays,ala UFC

Comment

If its something that came out tomorrow I'd be opposed to it cuz it'd be meaningless. The reality is in 8 months PBC has had ~40% of the top 100 fighters (boxrec top 100 anyway) & has had about 25ish of the 70 current title holders fight under the PBC umbrella. If PBC can increase that to some critical mass of overwhelming influence (80% of the top 100 & 55 of the 70 title holders for example) in a couple years I think a PBC belt would be a meaningful belt & could neutralize the influence of the 4 corrupt belts controlling things now.

Comment

Techliam -

I don't see what was naive about my statement. If you don't think the PBC is the best chance of the sport eventually recognizing one belt above all others, then what do you think the best chance is? I didn't say it was going to happen, only that it's the best shot, even if it is a longshot.

You say reform needs to come from the inside, but from the inside of what? How much more inside can you get than the most powerful man in boxing?

Most top fighters NOW don't fight for PBC, but PBC has most of the top prospects locked up and most of the TV dates locked up. It's a longterm plan. It's going to be way easier for PBC to make stars than it's going to be for HBO once the current crop of stars fade away. PBC is planting seeds now that will bear fruit when it's time for a new generation to take over.

The sanctioning bodies may survive overseas. The NBA isn't the only basketball league. It's just the most dominant and the most lucrative and where the top athletes want to go. Of course you will have leagues in other countries.

But if PBC takes over boxing in the US and is the boxing equivalent of the NFL or UFC, where do you think the top Japanese fighter is going to want to go after he conquers Japan?

PBC doesn't need to take over every country to take over the world. They need to take over the US and makes themselves attractive longterm to the world's best fighters.
              I think the sanctioning bodies reforming themselves is more realistic than the PBC taking over the sport. Come on now... there have been very minor steps in the right direction with the sanctioning bodies that we haven't seen before. You should be supporting that, not another championship.

The inside is the establishment - the major bodies already setup and functioning. I'm unsure whether or not to include Haymon with this, but to me he's just another promoter. Most powerful man? Well who knows..

I don't like the comparisons with the NBA/NFL. Say Japan for example, their fighters aren't seen as a minor league, especially in the lower divisions - they dominate down there where the US don't even touch. In some cases, like Miura and Uchiyama, they make a lot of money and reputation from their success... I can't see how PBC will begin to crack something like that. They may decide to fight on a PBC card every now and again, but not exclusively.

Foreign stars make money in their country. The current system suits that. The view that you can centralise the sport when its becoming more and more globalised seems very unrealistic.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
                I think the sanctioning bodies reforming themselves is more realistic than the PBC taking over the sport. Come on now... there have been very minor steps in the right direction with the sanctioning bodies that we haven't seen before. You should be supporting that, not another championship.

The inside is the establishment - the major bodies already setup and functioning. I'm unsure whether or not to include Haymon with this, but to me he's just another promoter. Most powerful man? Well who knows..

I don't like the comparisons with the NBA/NFL. Say Japan for example, their fighters aren't seen as a minor league, especially in the lower divisions - they dominate down there where the US don't even touch. In some cases, like Miura and Uchiyama, they make a lot of money and reputation from their success... I can't see how PBC will begin to crack something like that. They may decide to fight on a PBC card every now and again, but not exclusively.

Foreign stars make money in their country. The current system suits that. The view that you can centralise the sport when its becoming more and more globalised seems very unrealistic.
                makes sense and Here is where I think most people are wrong,if history has taught us anything is that when you put all the power in one person nothing good comes out of it.
                All the belts and any belts should ceased to exist and try something different,Maybe like a number 1 spot fights number 2,with tournaments and such.I really think that what you said would make sense if it comes from a person that have boxing interest at heart and not money and no salkas vs garcias type of fights,people always say but he gave us thurman vs guerrero,arent all fights supposed to be A1?,besides for the sake of argument is like the drug dealer,he gives you his best stuff for free and then he will charge you more for a less than stellar weed( i am not a drug user nor condone it).

Comment

One Punch -

They won't need to purchase new TV dates. They have years of TV paid up front and when those deals are up, they only need ONE of those channels to pony up for exclusive rights. Live sports rights are the only growth sector in TV and it's not like there are new leagues being created to buy the rights to. There will definitely be a channel that will want to lock up PBC 2-3 years from now.

we will have to agree to disagree on that point. Based on the ratings its getting, from a cost analysis COPS reruns get more eyeballs per dollar than PBC does. Unless the ratings improve DRASTICALLY, I cant see a network putting the kind of financial package together that would be needed to sustain PBC in its current form.

But time will tell......

Comment

PBC is a sham. It will continue to grow smaller and smaller as it has been. Ratings keep sliding.

Haymon tried to make the UFC of boxing, but he failed to understand what makes UFC great, and he failed to understand the public won't watch the garbage PBC keeps serving up. Haymon completely missed the point.

Comment

The last thing we need is another ABC belt.

Another issue I have with this is the fact that PBC simy doesn't have the best in the divisions. They have a lot but almost none of them are the best of their division so whoever wins this PBC title would be just another paper champoin.

The only division they might have the best fighter in is LW.

They should first focus on getting the best fighters per division and crown them champion. Make it legit.

Comment

Working...
                      X