No announcement yet.

HBO IS DEAD THEIR OBSESSION WITH EE FIGHTERS KILLED It

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
    There are some Black fighters who are prominent, but they're not like Sugar Ray Leonord or Sugar Shane Mosley types. They're dudes like Broner and Gervonta Davis, who come off ass *******s that people don't want to support. Mayweather could get away with that because he was a once in a generation talent.
    I don't like to say it, because I like Mayweather, but it might be Floyd's fault since he was the one who was supporting people like Davis and Broner. He's exceptional talent, one of the best to ever do it and we all know this, but if he was more self-conscious about what he's doing outside the ring, it would be better for fighters who wants to look up to him.

Maybe it's better to be ignorant in some aspects of life but having strong discipline between fights than being a good guy like Leonard but with stories of drug usage. The problem is that fighters who wants to be like Floyd skip the part about the discipline and other great things that they really should learn from him and taking the worst things from Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
      I don't like to say it, because I like Mayweather, but it might be Floyd's fault since he was the one who was supporting people like Davis and Broner. He's exceptional talent, one of the best to ever do it and we all know this, but if he was more self-conscious about what he's doing outside the ring, it would be better for fighters who wants to look up to him.

Maybe it's better to be ignorant in some aspects of life but having strong discipline between fights than being a good guy like Leonard but with stories of drug usage. The problem is that fighters who wants to be like Floyd skip the part about the discipline and other great things that they really should learn from him and taking the worst things from Floyd
      This right here.

Comment

At 147, we've got Thurman, Spence, Porter, and Garcia.

None of the guys I named outside of maybe Errol Spence are transcendent talents that will lead the sport.
        Bud Crawford

Comment

That could be true. They should have hyped up domestic fighters instead like deontay wilder, terrence crawford etc

Boxing would be better for it, HBO would be better for it.

Nobody is going to get behind foreign fighters, unless it's someone special like Pacquiao.

Comment

Don’t know why people even deny this. In Britain a country where boxing is resurgent they don’t have a single non British star. Everyone speaks English and is from the UK in America they think fans will get behind guys who they can relate to in no way

Comment

I just think with the popularity of Game of Thrones that HBO shifted most of their spending towards that and other shows. Can you really blame them?

Comment

It's not selling, that's the point. Guys like Broner and Gervonta may have an audience, but it's not the crossover audience that guys like Leonard and Ali or even a Tyson (who was a street cat, but was a once in a generation talent like Mayweather)
                Well like you said its different now.

Do you think SRL & Ali would have been as big as they got if they've fought on cable, HBO or Showtime & PPV for their biggest fights for their whole career? I don't. I think most people would agree. Or at best it'd been much harder for them to reach the level they did & there time in mainstream culture woulda been much shorter cuz it'd have happened later in their career.

And I also think if Tank or Broner or the Charlo's were out there in the mainstream like SRL & Ali had the luck to be based on the time they existed in boxing they'd be much bigger then they are now.

Its difficult to compare the old days with today when the landscape of the sport is so different. Its a apples to orange comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by nubianpiye View Post
                  In Britain a country where boxing is resurgent they don’t have a single non British star. Everyone speaks English and is from the UK in America they think fans will get behind guys who they can relate to in no way
                  Its super basic sh^t .

In fact the US is MORE OPEN to non-US/non-latino fighters then most other countries, but its still swimming upstream to make a foreign fighter a star in the US or even getting fans invested in a foreign fighter.

Comment

It's not selling, that's the point. Guys like Broner and Gervonta may have an audience, but it's not the crossover audience that guys like Leonard and Ali or even a Tyson (who was a street cat, but was a once in a generation talent like Mayweather)

1. What they do to "maximize" their income is shrinking the pie in boxing as more people tune out as guys fight a lot less and duck each other, while at the same time coming off as unlikeable.

2. Well duh, the Latin and Eastern European fighters come from wayyyyy poorer environments than urban Americans do.

3. Adrien Broner was a weight bully, who was exposed the minute he stepped a foot outside of 135 and won alphabet belts just to say he won them.

4. I like Gervonta, but America is never gonna like him. He's got too many tats and just too hood. He might be able to get away with that if he was a transcendent Mike Tyson/Floyd Mayweather type talent, but he's just a good not great fighter, so he's limited in his appeal.

Oh I agree, but it's only because there's not that many elite American fighters anymore.

At heavyweight, we've pretty much only got Wilder.

At crusierweight, we've got nothing.

At light heavy we've got Marcus Browne

At 168, we've got nothing great.

At 160, we've got Charlo & Jacobs

At 154, we've got Charlo and Hurd

And lower than that is when people start to tune out completely outside of hardcore fans.

None of the guys I named outside of maybe Errol Spence are transcendent talents that will lead the sport.

There's not a lot of great American boxers right now that could fill out some of the other promotional rosters.
                    in your previous post tho u mentioned a guy like shane mosley....shane never crossed over either or was really all that popular....you are comparing broner and davis to ali and leaonard now...cmon?!?!?

you were right in what you said before tho...the sport has changed...its not as popular as it was in the days of ali, leonard or tyson......meanwhile the nba and nfl are bout 50x as popular now as they were back when those guys were big

Comment

1. What they do to "maximize" their income is shrinking the pie in boxing as more people tune out as guys fight a lot less and duck each other, while at the same time coming off as unlikeable.

2. Well duh, the Latin and Eastern European fighters come from wayyyyy poorer environments than urban Americans do.

3. Adrien Broner was a weight bully, who was exposed the minute he stepped a foot outside of 135 and won alphabet belts just to say he won them.

4. I like Gervonta, but America is never gonna like him. He's got too many tats and just too hood. He might be able to get away with that if he was a transcendent Mike Tyson/Floyd Mayweather type talent, but he's just a good not great fighter, so he's limited in his appeal.

Oh I agree, but it's only because there's not that many elite American fighters anymore.

At heavyweight, we've pretty much only got Wilder.

At crusierweight, we've got nothing.

At light heavy we've got Marcus Browne

At 168, we've got nothing great.

At 160, we've got Charlo & Jacobs

At 154, we've got Charlo and Hurd

And lower than that is when people start to tune out completely outside of hardcore fans.

There's not a lot of great American boxers right now that could fill out some of the other promotional rosters.
                      I wholeheartedly understand what you are saying but boxing as a whole is no longer a mainstream sport in the U.S. Even with the influx of Eastern Euro fighters, they still have yet to catch onto the American mainstream public.

Let's just take the Klitschko's for example: For years HBO has been attempting to promote and push them into the American mainstream audience but couldn't so much as put a dent into that casual fanbase. That was the main reason why they couldn't sell any pay per views here.

The very same could be said for Lomachenko, Golovkin and Kovalev. While many of them do have followings in the U.S. It is yet a very small, cult and marginalized audience. That's why they fight largely on American soil in the first place as opposed to Western Europe because there is absolutely no demand for them over there.

Comment

Working...
                      X