No announcement yet.

Jack Johnson underappreciated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Johnson underappreciated

This is ONE of the people I admire most in life in sports that's for sure.I hate it evertime I hear Jackie Rob broke the color barrier.He broke the barrier in BASEBALL in late 50s.Jack (act joe gans but he was lightweight and not well known)really broke the color barrier and 50 yrs earlier.In the 60s a black man could get hanged for lookin wrong at white girl(and not just below MDline)Jack MARRIED TWO and this is 1900s-1910s I mean this was yrs before NAACP,cofa or even PANTHERS.He also had a 6th grade ed but could speak French and was a big history buff esp Napoleon.And of course a great fighter who revolutionized defence.(guys never used their hands to parry blows before him)And not only did he beat all the top fighters he would TALK S HIT to them.This guy had balls the size of west Texas.How he made without being shot is unreal.he was tougher AND smarter then anyother heavy of his day.

And jack takin heavyweight title from white race at that time when boxing(and horseracing)was the biggest sport.It ment a lot more then losing 2nd base on the dogers.This is when "the white race" had to admit their were not physically dominant over the black man.

Comment

" Jackie Rob broke the color barrier.He broke the barrier in BASEBALL in late 50s".....

Try 1947 not the late 50's! Robinson propelled a team that lost to the World Series and was the main reason they got over their hump.
      People can't help being born "when their birthed"!
      Robinson was an outstanding man and never wavered on his morals or convictions.
      No one I know doesn't hold Johnson in very high regard as a fighter and someone who pushed the bigots and racists to their limits but in the end he succumbed to their actions .

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        " Jackie Rob broke the color barrier.He broke the barrier in BASEBALL in late 50s".....

Try 1947 not the late 50's! Robinson propelled a team that lost to the World Series and was the main reason they got over their hump.
        People can't help being born "when their birthed"!
        Robinson was an outstanding man and never wavered on his morals or convictions.
        No one I know doesn't hold Johnson in very high regard as a fighter and someone who pushed the bigots and racists to their limits but in the end he succumbed to their actions .

Ray
        OK so I was decade off on Rob buts it still 40 yrs so what your point?And my post had nothing to do about bashing Rob its just that if you ask most people their leave out that baseball part(which is what that was about)they jusy say "he broke color barrier"Most don't even know who Jack was.And if your referring to him not giving black fighters a shot after he won title"but in end he succumbed to their actions"It was beacause NO ONE AT THAT TIME WANTED TO SEE 2 BLACK FIGHTERS FIGHT FOR TITLE.Plus he had winning rec with all top black fighters at time(Langford,mcvey,jeanette and Denver Ed Martin.

Comment

He broke the baseball color barrier not a "sports barrier".
          Jackie is known for the baseball transformation.
          Johnson succumbed to the promoters to come out of exile, his championship belt was worthless to him outside of the States. I don't blame him for bending he needed to get back home.
          He actually lead a comfortable life after those tough years and was exhibition boxing late in his life. He was a wild one.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            He broke the baseball color barrier not a "sports barrier".
            Jackie is known for the baseball transformation.
            Johnson succumbed to the promoters to come out of exile, his championship belt was worthless to him outside of the States. I don't blame him for bending he needed to get back home.
            He actually lead a comfortable life after those tough years and was exhibition boxing late in his life. He was a wild one.

Ray
            You keep writing that JR broke baseball barrier.I KNOW THAT but if you ask most people their leave out baseball part. I said that in all my posts so don't know why you keep sayin that.And like you said he bent to promoter that's not true he bent to US GOV and he had no choice if he wanted to come home or defend his title.(ww1 had broke out in Europe during his exile there)And if you sayin he somhow sold his title(like took a dive)I don't believe that for one sec he was 37 and out of shape and was kicking azz till around 15th or so and then was worn out and was koed in like 23rd or close.

Comment

I'm just sayin the guy should be thought of as a hero in usa and esp black community.But it seems like he has became almost forgot.Great book called unforgivable blackness it also has a PBS Ken Burns documentary that's about 3hrs long.I love docs and that about the best one I ever seen.This guy at time was even dislike by many so called"respectable black people"because all the trouble that would follow(hangings,beatings)after he would beat another white fighter or be in paper with white girls.And he could not care less.Can you imagine how many times this guy must have been in the sights of a gun.

Comment

Jack Johnson was a true bad@ss

Comment

Jack Jackson breaks the colour line at HW and then proceeds to draw it up again.

Hypocrite.

Comment

Originally posted by HWChampion View Post
                    Jack Jackson breaks the colour line at HW and then proceeds to draw it up again.

Hypocrite.
                    Had no choice NO ONE was going to PAY ANYTHING to watch 2 black men fight eachother for title.Plus like I said earlier he had already beat EVERY top black fighter at time ALL more then once.

Comment

Working...
                    X