Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Punching power is overrated whilst offensive skills are underrated for KO artists

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
    Yes, I will watch that fight and put what you wrote to the test. For sure!
    It's not remotely competitive but it's fascinating like a slow motion train wreck. Larry's jab has to be one of the best ever in boxing. It won him a lot of fights.

Comment

Originally posted by N!Ck F. View Post
      Ricardo Mayorga dropped his hands & stuck his chin out and let Shane Mosley (in both fights), Vernon Forest (both fights), and Felix Trinidad get multiple free shots on his chin..... didn’t budge.
      I've seen 'em - of course, but he was ready and waiting for the punches.. that ain't what I'm talking about.

What I'm arguing is that super chiny guys (like Khan for instance) generally get KTFO cos they're so busy commiting to their **** that they ain't watching the punches coming back. As they say... it's the punches you don't see coming...

Similarly guys who seem to have cast iron chins... Golovkin for instance or say Floyd (who's been caught with a few over the years despite his exceptional defense) are the guys who are always watching for the incoming fire and almost always ready when it lands... it's less about having some kind of freakishly tough mandible and more about knowing what the opponents options are and making sure you don't over commit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
        I disagree! I don't think there is much, if any difference in punching power between them. If Andre Ward were to have the offensive skills of GGG, he would have a similar KO record as well in my opinion. It's more down to the lack of technique, rather than raw physical punching power which is the cause of Andre Ward having fewer knockouts as far as I'm concerned.
        No problem, we'll agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
          No problem, we'll agree to disagree.
          Fair enough!

Comment

Working...
          X