No announcement yet.

General Thoughts On Froch Groves.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post

Regarding Foster, like many British referees, he would've had Eubank Watson in the back of his mind. Hard bastard vs master boxer can occasionally go that way, and the way health and safety has now become in the UK, it's hardly surprising really, and is to be expected again and again.. Won't be at all shocked, if it happens in the return aswell
    It's not right though and fans shouldn't just roll over and accept it. Competent referees are not too much to ask for.

Originally posted by Bodyshot3 View Post
    Finally, I think that for major global world title fights the Board of Control must think about bringing in a referee of equal stature. A top fight must have a man in the middle who handles world title fights on a frequent basis.
    This is an excellent idea and should be looked into.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      It's not right though and fans shouldn't just roll over and accept it. Competent referees are not too much to ask for.

This is an excellent idea and should be looked into.
      Yes I totally agree, and it's the main reason i never fork out to watch ppv fights in the UK.. I would'nt have paid to see Haye Fury either(someone was always going to ruin it)
      Not worth it, health and safety's gone mental
      Go to a firework display in an open field.. No bonfire, no baked potatoes, no spaklers,no smoking.. All far too dangerous.. So are boxers getting hit i'm afraid.

Comment

groves was hurt for sure, he even said so himself afetrwards, not that theres any denying it. he was in all sorts of trouble.

that said its a fight, getting hurt and coping with it is part of boxing. only when a fighter cant intelligently defend himself or is taking prolonged punishment in a fight he has little chance of winning should the ref stop the fight.

carl was in more trouble on more than one occasion and the ref gave him a chance to recover. then groves gets hurt with a big right hand and then clipped by another one on the ropes and the ref panics and stops the fight. just a terrible call.

of course there is a chance froch knocks him out regardless, i was thinking that all along when groves was dominating early. froch is always in great shape and maintains his power for all 12 rounds, if groves gets tired and slows down as the fight goes on he will get caught with that power and we will have a rel fight on our hands going down the stretch.

groves did slow down, carl could have taken a lot more out of him in the 9th too, then there are three rounds to go. very dramatic stuff, but all the more reason to let the fight continue. as good as it was for the first nine rounds it was about to culminate in the final rounds and the fer robbed us of it, just like he robbed groves of a fair shot at the title and froch of a convincing W.

Comment

I've given my thoughts in other threads - Very good performance from Groves, but Froch was going to KO him. When he has you hurt, he finishes it.

What a cracking fight though!

Comment

Ok, now i've calmed down and rewatched...

the 6th round was pivotal, I think George traded for way too long and lost his gameplan, the second i saw Froch prowl around in the 7th I knew the tide was turning, even though George stood toe to toe with Froch you knew who'd come on top.

I'm hoping George can work on stamina because I think he will truly be an elite fighter, hopefully after a few fights with Paddy he will be able to keep to the gameplan as it was winning him the fight.

I still see the stoppage as way to early and there was only one damaging punch... I also think Groves would've tied up and jabbed his way out of the round... I'm not sure who would've won the fight but I'd say George would sneak it on points if he went back to jabbing but if he went out to war he'd get KO'd.

Losing Booth must have really affected him but at the same time Carl looked shattered from the start and paid the price for thinking this fight would be a walk over.

Carl apparently was injured in the fight? Anyone know anything about this or is it an excuse?

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
              Ok, now i've calmed down and rewatched...

the 6th round was pivotal, I think George traded for way too long and lost his gameplan, the second i saw Froch prowl around in the 7th I knew the tide was turning, even though George stood toe to toe with Froch you knew who'd come on top.

I'm hoping George can work on stamina because I think he will truly be an elite fighter, hopefully after a few fights with Paddy he will be able to keep to the gameplan as it was winning him the fight.

I still see the stoppage as way to early and there was only one damaging punch... I also think Groves would've tied up and jabbed his way out of the round... I'm not sure who would've won the fight but I'd say George would sneak it on points if he went back to jabbing but if he went out to war he'd get KO'd.

Losing Booth must have really affected him but at the same time Carl looked shattered from the start and paid the price for thinking this fight would be a walk over.

Carl apparently was injured in the fight? Anyone know anything about this or is it an excuse?

wrong

GAROVES WAS Clinging on for a lot of round 9, froch landed 5/6 shots, and the last two knocked groves out the park so to speak.

You have to defend yourself at all times, froch landed a hook which practically knocked his head off, but it was the cheeky right uppercut punch froch landed after the hook that finshed groves.

His head went down, turned his back and his hands by his side. Even when he was trying to protest he was barely standing.

Plus there was a 1.30 seconds to go. The ref did groves a big favour.

Why wont people give froch credit, hes a phenom.

Comment

Originally posted by slimshandy69 View Post
                wrong

GAROVES WAS Clinging on for a lot of round 9, froch landed 5/6 shots, and the last two knocked groves out the park so to speak.

You have to defend yourself at all times, froch landed a hook which practically knocked his head off, but it was the cheeky right uppercut punch froch landed after the hook that finshed groves.

His head went down, turned his back and his hands by his side. Even when he was trying to protest he was barely standing.

Plus there was a 1.30 seconds to go. The ref did groves a big favour.

Why wont people give froch credit, hes a phenom.
                I'll post a video, and you explain to me how it was a fair stoppage without being blinded that you are a Froch fan.

In the round i see 7 punches the the back of the head... do you see a warning for it? (Up until 0:37 of the video)

There was some clinching, I won't deny that, and Froch got some good shots in

In the 48th second of the video Groves pushes Froch back a step, Groves is also steady after the ref stops it and needs to be dragged away from the fight...

Unless you can find a video that proves otherwise I'll think this is a shocking stoppage.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                  I'll post a video, and you explain to me how it was a fair stoppage without being blinded that you are a Froch fan.

In the round i see 7 punches the the back of the head... do you see a warning for it? (Up until 0:37 of the video)

There was some clinching, I won't deny that, and Froch got some good shots in

In the 48th second of the video Groves pushes Froch back a step, Groves is also steady after the ref stops it and needs to be dragged away from the fight...

Unless you can find a video that proves otherwise I'll think this is a shocking stoppage.
                  looks fine to me, groves took 5/6 bombs unanswered, head dipped, turned wrong way and froch landed to body shots whilst not looking the correct way.

this vid at 41.40 pause it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qon7UC_A0

Groves head dipped, arms down side, froch lands to "pulled" body shots.

If you watch it in slow mo froch lands a monster hook that decapitates his head, but then lands a even more brutal uppercut on his way down. the refs 6 a lot closer than you.

AFTER that groves is barely able to stand and staggers around. Not because of the ref but because hes knocked for 6. With the context of froch cardio and power, the fact there was a minute and a half left, and it was in the business end of the table. it was the correct deicision.

In a ideal world I would have like to see froch win in a grand stand fashion, but to me its more of a moral debate. How much beating do you want to see groves have considering hes got a great future ahead of him.

even jim watt who had groves **** in his mouth the whole time even conceded "I don't think he would have gotten out of there"

But the facts are the only robbery there was a froch grnad stand finish.

Comment

Originally posted by slimshandy69 View Post
                    looks fine to me, groves took 5/6 bombs unanswered, head dipped, turned wrong way and froch landed to body shots whilst not looking the correct way.

this vid at 41.40 pause it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qon7UC_A0

Groves head dipped, arms down side, froch lands to "pulled" body shots.

If you watch it in slow mo froch lands a monster hook that decapitates his head, but then lands a even more brutal uppercut on his way down. the refs 6 a lot closer than you.

AFTER that groves is barely able to stand and staggers around. Not because of the ref but because hes knocked for 6. With the context of froch cardio and power, the fact there was a minute and a half left, and it was in the business end of the table. it was the correct deicision.

In a ideal world I would have like to see froch win in a grand stand fashion, but to me its more of a moral debate. How much beating do you want to see groves have considering hes got a great future ahead of him.

even jim watt who had groves **** in his mouth the whole time even conceded "I don't think he would have gotten out of there"

But the facts are the only robbery there was a froch grnad stand finish.
                    Are you trolling?

He lands no more than 3 clean shots in the whole exchange, and the ref had instructed them to stop and had got between them long before Froch threw a body shot.

Unanswered shots are when the opponent isn't firing back. The only point in that exchange where Groves isn't firing back is when the steps in to close the distance with his left hand raised to his head in a defensive manoeuvre in preparation to push Froch back, as he'd done throughout the round and throughout the fight.

There was no uppercut thrown, let alone a 'brutal' one. I'll reiterate that: There was no uppercut!

Groves had been buzzed there's no doubt about that but he was still defending himself, it was a terrible stoppage.

You're glad at the decision, I understand that, but there's no need to start embellishing and outright fabricating events.

Comment

Originally posted by Stokely View Post
                      Are you trolling?

He lands no more than 3 clean shots in the whole exchange, and the ref had instructed them to stop and had got between them long before Froch threw a body shot.

Unanswered shots are when the opponent isn't firing back. The only point in that exchange where Groves isn't firing back is when the steps in to close the distance with his left hand raised to his head in a defensive manoeuvre in preparation to push Froch back, as he'd done throughout the round and throughout the fight.

There was no uppercut thrown, let alone a 'brutal' one. I'll reiterate that: There was no uppercut!

Groves had been buzzed there's no doubt about that but he was still defending himself, it was a terrible stoppage.

You're glad at the decision, I understand that, but there's no need to start embellishing and outright fabricating events.

they have removed it, but froch lands 5/6 shots unanswered. That is fact.

THE last two punches are really telling, froch lands a hook which kncoks groves haead 360, and ala bute style as groves gets caught with a right hand when he corrects his head. Before that froch had landed 3/4 shots on the ropes, and prior to that groves was holding as he got wobbled.

you have to defend yourself at all times. iTS A SHAME THEY REMOVED IT because the 40.40 mark really shows groves back turned, not knowing where he is, arms down his side and head tucked in. There was 1.30 left in the fact.

if YOU follow correct criteria the ref had every right to stop the fight going by the protocols. And it made it even more apparent when groves could barely stand.

even naseem explains it best and he doesn't have the beauty of having the reply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkb3K9-uDJw

Comment

Working...
                      X