Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mairis Briedis: I Have To Do A lot of Work To Prepare For Usyk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He certainly does. He needs to learn how to low blow perfectly and he has the full package of inside fighting that usyk cant handle

Comment

Originally posted by jackblack008 View Post
      Breidis seems motivated and scared at same time.
      Dangerous combo

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Kewl Hair View Post
        Weird how he's fought his way to a belt without ever facing a southpaw, his team should've found one for him on the way up surely...
        Wasn't perez a southpaw ?

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
          People who said Briedis sucks because of that bout can't appreciate tactical fights. Briedis executed the game perfectly, outsmarted his opponent, made Perez fight in an uncomfortable manner, and even if it wasn't entertaining, the win is still a win. Remember, it was more competitive matchup on paper than the favorite of the tournament (Usyk) against war torn veteran (Huck) or Dorticos against Kudryashov who was collecting all Dorticos punches on his face
          Man stfu. I love watching Rigondeaux, Floyd, Lomachenko and all that... but this **** was just straight up an ugly ass fight.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
            Wasn't perez a southpaw ?
            Yeah his first in the pro ranks "The fight against Perez was my first with the lefty, it's a good experience."

I just find that odd.

Comment

I expect Usyk to comfortably outbox him, but if Breidis can make it ugly, you never know.

Comment

People who said Briedis sucks because of that bout can't appreciate tactical fights. Briedis executed the game perfectly, outsmarted his opponent, made Perez fight in an uncomfortable manner, and even if it wasn't entertaining, the win is still a win. Remember, it was more competitive matchup on paper than the favorite of the tournament (Usyk) against war torn veteran (Huck) or Dorticos against Kudryashov who was collecting all Dorticos punches on his face
                Havent marked you as a bad poster, but that's ridiculous.
                Clinching his way to victory is not outsmarting or tactical, it's just plain not boxing.
                It is and of course it shouldnt be allowed to use clinches just to prevent the other guy from throwing back.

No one wants to see that and if every boxer would do it, no one is going to watch boxing. And referees should be teached the fine line between necessary clinching and over th top clinching.

If the referee had warned and deducted a point earlier, the fight would have progressed way differently. It's not smart or tactical if your tactics rely on the leniency of a referee.

After the point deduction, briedis was still allowed to clinch excessively afterwards. At that point he should have been deducted another 2 points, followed by a disqualification if he had continued clinching.

Comment

It wasn't pretty but Breidis did what he needed to do. Perhaps the ref should have been stricter with the holding - a point deduction earlier might have changed the tone of the fight - but it became clear fairly early on the Perez had the quicker hands and was looking to get inside. Like I say, not pretty but tactically the right choice given the circumstances.

Comment

Too bad Usyk schools you.

Comment

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
                      Havent marked you as a bad poster, but that's ridiculous.
                      Clinching his way to victory is not outsmarting or tactical, it's just plain not boxing.
                      It is and of course it shouldnt be allowed to use clinches just to prevent the other guy from throwing back.

No one wants to see that and if every boxer would do it, no one is going to watch boxing. And referees should be teached the fine line between necessary clinching and over th top clinching.

If the referee had warned and deducted a point earlier, the fight would have progressed way differently. It's not smart or tactical if your tactics rely on the leniency of a referee.

After the point deduction, briedis was still allowed to clinch excessively afterwards. At that point he should have been deducted another 2 points, followed by a disqualification if he had continued clinching.
                      As long as clinching is a part of boxing game, you shouldn't be surprised that some boxers want to use it as a tactical advantage. Nobody wants to watch spoilers like Ward, nobody finds Klitschko entertaining, but other boxers supposed to know how to deal with that kind of styles.

I'm not saying clinching is a good thing or bad thing, it's definitely not entertaining, all I'm saying is Briedis did what he was supposed to do and it gave him the right result. I don't like watching spoilers either, but Briedis can be exciting fighter if he wants to, he just imposed his game plan on Perez and Perez wasn't ready for it.

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                      It wasn't pretty but Breidis did what he needed to do. Perhaps the ref should have been stricter with the holding - a point deduction earlier might have changed the tone of the fight - but it became clear fairly early on the Perez had the quicker hands and was looking to get inside. Like I say, not pretty but tactically the right choice given the circumstances.
                      Exactly. That was the point of my message
                      Last edited by g27region; 10-02-2017, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X