Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DLH v Canelo v PBF v Pac v Tyson PPV History at 25 Years Old; Canelo future PPV King?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KLockard23 View Post
    You can't compare PPV numbers from the past with those now, PPV is available in more homes and there's better marketability to entice people into buying them. Too many uncontrollable variables that are hard to pin down.

As for Canelo, he's just a placeholder. He isn't the next megastar, he's just the #1 guy by default until the next big, big name comes along. He's Larry Holmes before Tyson, Oscar Dela Hoya before Mayweather, etc.
    I've seen this "It's easier now" argument and it's pretty laughable to be honest

It's actually harder to sell PPV's now, because now we have streaming. Almost everybody and their mothers have access to the internet. More and more people are telling me now in 2016 "Kev what stream are you using to watch the A vs B fight"...instead of as recent as the mid 2000s, friends asking "Who's down to chip in for so and so's PPV". And forget about the 90s, even, though there was the black box, the illegal cable did not compare one bit to massive, MASSIVE amounts of people who can stream today

So it's actually a lot harder right now to sell PPV's. You don't believe me, look at just 2007 for instance, look at all of those PPV's almost everything on PPV. Most of them were successful, but streaming fights was becoming better already and by 2009 really streaming has taken over

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      I've seen this "It's easier now" argument and it's pretty laughable to be honest

It's actually harder to sell PPV's now, because now we have streaming. Almost everybody and their mothers have access to the internet. More and more people are telling me now in 2016 "Kev what stream are you using to watch the A vs B fight"...instead of as recent as the mid 2000s, friends asking "Who's down to chip in for so and so's PPV". And forget about the 90s, even, though there was the black box, the illegal cable did not compare one bit to massive, MASSIVE amounts of people who can stream today

So it's actually a lot harder right now to sell PPV's. You don't believe me, look at just 2007 for instance, look at all of those PPV's almost everything on PPV. Most of them were successful, but streaming fights was becoming better already and by 2009 really streaming has taken over
      No hard proof how much damage streaming has done, though. It certainly hasn't affected the movie business seeing as how movies continue to break box office records all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post

You're leaving out a key component here Kev.

First off I definitely agree with you streaming is costing anyone selling PPV's some business. I think how much business is highly speculative. And I tend to think the internet IQ is still stupid about streaming cuz I talk to plenty of people who have no clue where to find sites like this & don't got a dozen of them bookmarked like I & others probably have.

Second you aren't realizing the PPV capabilities of consumers hasn't always been the same. You are ignoring that when Leonard fought Hagler in 1987 the PPV access only stretched out to 3M people. When Oscar was starting on PPV in 1995 there was slightly more than 20M people with PPV access. In 2007 when Floyd & Manny were hitting there mark there were 60M+ people with PPV access. And now today there are over 90M+ people with PPV access. The more people with PPV access the more potential buys you can garner. So at best I think you could say that the streaming & the 30M+ more people with PPV access in the last decade makes things a wash.

Comment

Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
          How long will his career be though is the question? If he loses to GGG and then somebody else within a couple of years, that'll stifle his growth. Obviously he can still be a big draw after a few losses like Cotto and Oscar. It could prevent him from surpassing Mayweather though.
          I have a feeling Canelo will be done by 32.

Comment

It's just like streaming and downloading music slowly killed album sales for artists. It took a decade+ to happen, but now great album sales are reserved only for the absolute best and most charismatic musicians out there. Rather than back in the day 1999 a guy like Juvenile sold 4,000,000 copies of his album. There's no artists that can do that today, not with internet, downloading music. It took like 15 years for the internet to reduce album sales from the million plus it was used to, to now 300-500k being the regular. Back then the most journeyman musicians could do 1 million, that's not the case anymore. How long did it take for the majority of computer users to become literate in downloading songs or having a friend or family member do it for them? From the time when Napster hit the scene 'til now, many more people became internet savvy and no longer feel the need to purchase albums, either hard copies or from itunes or Amazon or whatever other way to get digital albums

It doesn't matter if PPV is available to 100 million, 200 million, or 350 million people, internet is available to those same people who have PPV access and then some. If you got PPV access, that means that household probably has internet access. People are going to choose free over paying more times than not

Comment

Working...
            X