Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Abraham Travels To 'The Lion's Den' For Stieglitz Rematch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Abraham Travels To 'The Lion's Den' For Stieglitz Rematch

By Jake Donovan - Arthur Abraham’s 2013 debut will come against a familiar foe, but in hostile territory.

The defending super middleweight titlist is set to make his second defense against Robert Stieglitz, from whom he claimed the belt last August. The rematch is set for March 23 in Stieglitz’ hometown of Magdeburg, Germany.

The first bout took place in Berlin, where he has called home since moving from his native Armenia at age 15. Abraham won a close but clear decision to earn a belt in a second weight class, one of four wins he posted in a huge bounce back year in 2012.

Now, he is prepared to return to the favor.

“For me it is a question of honor,” said Abraham (36-3, 28KO). “Robert was brave enough to face me in my backyard. Now I am travelling to Magdeburg and have to enter 'the Lion’s Den' to fight him.”
    [Click Here To Read More]

I mentioned this fact in another thread. Brave move by Sauerland, since their first fight was close.

Is there any top SMW besides Ward who never fights in the opponents backyard?

Comment

I admire AA for giving Stieglitz the chance to fight him on his own turf. Great look. Especially after Stieglitz looked very good this last outing with that 3rd round KO.

Comment

Totally with you guys on this one. The first fight was close and I had AA edging it by a couple rounds. A great move by a true champion to take on the challenger in his own backyard.

Comment

This is a good rematch, big props to Athur!
          I agree with you Nelson, Ward never fights in his opponents hometown

Comment

It's still in Germany and only a couple of KMs from AA's own backyard so it's not the bravest step we've evere seen either but yes it indeed looks good.

What Mikkel Kessler is going to do is even bigger, fighting in London even though he won the first battle against Carl The Cobra Froch.

War EuroWarriors.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
              Totally with you guys on this one. The first fight was close and I had AA edging it by a couple rounds. A great move by a true champion to take on the challenger in his own backyard.
              AA also rematched Edison Miranda in his hometown. AA won a very debated decision with a broken jaw in their first fight, then travelled across the Atlantic for the return.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                AA also rematched Edison Miranda in his hometown. AA won a very debated decision with a broken jaw in their first fight, then travelled across the Atlantic for the return.
                Yes, totally true.
                I wish more fighters had the same mentality as Kessler, Froch and Arthur, not afraid to fight guys away from home. Granted, Super Six was scheduled by Shotime but still when did we hear these 3 guys complain, never. Whereas Ward fought in his hometown fight after fight.

Bring on Froch Kessler 2

Comment

King Arthur is a true warrior, people hate on him because he got exposed in the super six, but he fights anyone, any where and his run at middleweight was special

Comment

Working...
                  X