No announcement yet.

Baer vs Louis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baer vs Louis

This is the most versatile I ever saw Joe look. He was bouncing on his toes and using a lot of movement. He didn't want that right hand in the kisser. As usual, every punch in the book, but this show is Joe's best footwork I have seen.

Horrible style for Baer. Brawlers rarely do well against boxer punchers.

Louis’ jab was absolutely devastating that night, but Baers head movement was pretty much non existent. The finishing combos were just pure poetry.

Baer/Schmelling/Young Louis was an interesting little stylistic triangle. Baer our fought the boxer Schmelling. Louis outpunched the brawler Baer. Schmelling outboxed the puncher Louis. Eventually Louis would rise above them all obviously

Comment

Several points:
      For the second knockdown Louis threw a penta left hook. Five consecutive left hooks. The first two thrown longer passed over Baers Head. The final three shortened landed with devastating effect.

In those early years Louis showed great versatility. Great footwork, boxing ability and even wonderful ability to bob and weave. These skills are overlooked by most.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
        Several points:
        For the second knockdown Louis threw a penta left hook. Five consecutive left hooks. The first two thrown longer passed over Baers Head. The final three shortened landed with devastating effect.

In those early years Louis showed great versatility. Great footwork, boxing ability and even wonderful ability to bob and weave. These skills are overlooked by most.
        He does not usually fight that style. Plods and inches forward. Not this time. Those multiple lefhooks are for the greats.

Comment

Several points:

Very true. He did not have slow feet at all.

True story: In that fight Baer was getting shellacked, and goes back to his corner and they encourage him "Hey Max this guy isn't hitting you with nuthin." So Baer, being Baer and all, looks his corner guys in the eye real serious like and cups his hand suspiciously and tells them, "You guys have to watch the referee!" They look puzzled so Max says "Well if Louis isn't someone is beating the living crap out of me."

Comment

Several points:

Houdine is on the money here.

Comment

It is actually untrue that Louis usually shuffled forward. Watch his bouts prior to winning the championship. Very possible that he exhibits the most diversity of boxing skill of any hwt ever to live.

Comment

It is actually untrue that Louis usually shuffled forward. Watch his bouts prior to winning the championship. Very possible that he exhibits the most diversity of boxing skill of any hwt ever to live.
                He didn't, eh?

I just discovered something. You are as full of shít as a Christmas turkey, pal.

It is quite true that Louis usually shuffled forward, inching his way across canvas.

He had a hell of a lot more fights filmed after he won the championship than before. So don't tell me about what he usually did. I have watched every Louis fight on film. You stink. Stay out of my way or you will wake up crushed. Fair warning, buddy. You're easy meat.

Comment

Watch vs Max Baer, Carnera, Galento, Godoy others he circles and sidesteps and counterpunches. Watch vs Ramage he bobs and weaves and brings punches over the top. To pigeonhole Louis as a slow footed stalker minimizes the true extent of his abilities. I’ve been watching Louis fight since 1970 on 8 mm film up to today on the internet. That’s nearly 50 years. You?

Comment

Hard to say on that last point... If we just look at the primary heavies, and don't look from guys who were also great as light heavies then we have to eliminate the guy who I thought was the most diverse: That would be the fightin' Murine!! Gene Tunney. Tunney actually was brought up in the older ways, mentored by Corbet among others, and also technically excellent in the new way championed by Dempsey where guys were squaring up, focusing on the punches per se more than the footwork.

Heres the thing Houdini you might be on to something if we look at the dye in the wool heavies. Louis could throw every kind of punch in the book, he could stalk, had fast feet in the earlier days, I have to think about that one...

Comment

Working...
                    X