No announcement yet.

"Boring technicians"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Boring technicians"?

So, I see many people call fighters like Mayweather and Ward boring. Fair enough. But I don't get it. We're boxing fans. If we don't like boxing at its highest level, but prefer wild brawlers, are we then truly boxing fans or are we merely fans of "lower level boxing"? Personally, I absolutely love watching Mayweather and Ward fight. I think it's fantastic to see this high level of skills at display, this "peak" of boxing science. I enjoy watching fighters like Golovkin, for example, but with all of those headshots he takes all the time and his inability to stop good opponents despite having so much punching power, I really prefer fighters like Mayweather and Ward. It's art when they fight and of course, not everyone can appreciate that.

Originally posted by Morton Belgram View Post
    So, I see many people call fighters like Mayweather and Ward boring. Fair enough. But I don't get it. We're boxing fans. If we don't like boxing at its highest level, but prefer wild brawlers, are we then truly boxing fans or are we merely fans of "lower level boxing"? Personally, I absolutely love watching Mayweather and Ward fight. I think it's fantastic to see this high level of skills at display, this "peak" of boxing science. I enjoy watching fighters like Golovkin, for example, but with all of those headshots he takes all the time and his inability to stop good opponents despite having so much punching power, I really prefer fighters like Mayweather and Ward. It's art when they fight and of course, not everyone can appreciate that.
    I like to watch a good defensive fighter but a good defensive fighter for me needs to throw combos insteadof one punch counters.
    That's what makes the difference for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
      I like to watch a good defensive fighter but a good defensive fighter for me needs to throw combos insteadof one punch counters.
      That's what makes the difference for me.
      What if he does better with single shots? Don't you prefer to watch effectiveness in action, in its purest form, not limited to look cool for the casuals?

Comment

What if he does better with single shots? Don't you prefer to watch effectiveness in action, in its purest form, not limited to look cool for the casuals?
        Yes i do. If he is dominating with one punch counter shots and dodging incoming fire.
        Hell yer i like that.
        But i would rather watch more offensive fighters smash it out.
        Just my preference.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
          Yes i do. If he is dominating with one punch counter shots and dodging incoming fire.
          Hell yer i like that.
          But i would rather watch more offensive fighters smash it out.
          Just my preference.
          But you do acknowledge that those offensive fighters, like Golovkin, are plain out inferior to the technicians, right? Not that that makes guys like Golovkin any bad at all, but I have seriously seen people claim that Golovkin would smash Ward, lol.

Comment

What do you think of Loma, has all the skill in the world yet he still presses the action, he could pot shot 1 punch at a time yet each fight he is in is action packed, so in reality he brings the best of both worlds

Comment

Originally posted by Shape up View Post
              What do you think of Loma, has all the skill in the world yet he still presses the action, he could pot shot 1 punch at a time yet each fight he is in is action packed, so in reality he brings the best of both worlds
              I love Lomachenko. He and Crawford are, IMO, the two best active fighters. Lomachenko's kind of effectiveness is different from Ward's kind of effectiveness, but both are art to me.

Comment

I love Lomachenko. He and Crawford are, IMO, the two best active fighters. Lomachenko's kind of effectiveness is different from Ward's kind of effectiveness, but both are art to me.
                I find floyd and ward frustrating to watch with their slow pace and clinching

Comment

I dislike Mayweather for his approach in not fighting the best or at least not fighting them in their prime
                  But I do appreciate his boxing skills ( hâte his guts but will admit one of the greatest all time )
                  Ward is good but his willingness to exchange made him very boring and just regular imo
                  People complain about the pitty patty punches of Calzaghe, but his will to exchange and fight made him quite impressive
                  That’s a fighter ( relating to your post ) who made quite the impression on me as a fighter who hit and got hit but made the difference with his shots
                  His only fault was crossing the pond too fughin late

Comment

Originally posted by Shape up View Post
                    I find floyd and ward frustrating to watch with their slow pace and clinching
                    Well... That's fair, I guess, but it's boxing. On the highest level. I love watching slowmotion replays of their skils.

Comment

Working...
                    X