Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do boxers lie with excuses after a loss to save face (psychologically) ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saintpat View Post
    This.

I like how Sean O’Grady, former lightweight champ, once put it when he was doing commentary: “When you lose, you were never at your best; because if you were at your best, how could you lose?”

That’s how a fighter has to think. He cannot be doubting himself when he steps in the ring the next time.

And you totally would have kicked that guy’s ass if you hadn’t twisted your knee! Go find him and demand a rematch!
    haha thanks. The second paragraph is so spot on. it's why mistakes have to be made. Regardless of if it's "blister on my foot" or "bad day at the office" you can't have that loss on your mind when you go back into the ring. Especially if its a rematch.

also, I'm retired now. Broke my hand in 3 places falling down a flight of stairs about ten years ago. Never healed properly. Haven't laced up the gloves since.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
      haha thanks. The second paragraph is so spot on. it's why mistakes have to be made. Regardless of if it's "blister on my foot" or "bad day at the office" you can't have that loss on your mind when you go back into the ring. Especially if its a rematch.

also, I'm retired now. Broke my hand in 3 places falling down a flight of stairs about ten years ago. Never healed properly. Haven't laced up the gloves since.
      With two good knees, you can beat that guy one-handed!

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
        don't remember the lawsuit. it was a while ago, so my memory can be foggy. I don't know if Margo cheated in other matches, but The Mosley one is obvious, and I believe he did in the Cotto one. Sure Cotto had been rocked before, but two things stand out. Cotto's face never looked like that before, and the rematch was at 154 (first fight was 147) and in the rematch Margo's punches had little affect, Cotto seemed to just eat them, but when Margo was 147 he was George Forman?
        He did get completely annihilated by Mosely and Pacquiao did a number on him. The Mosley knockout changed the rest of his career imo, but its hard to say because Pacquiao damaged his eye to the point I think the Cotto fight almost didn't happen? I know his eye got wrecked.

I think in the rematch Cotto went back and grabbed some tools from his amateur days. Not sure if you saw him back then but he was a very mobile Boxer at times with a lot of lateral movement. Cotto was a really good fighter, he just rubs me the wrong way.

Comment

Working...
        X