Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will Martinez's Middleweight reign be remembered?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goblin213 View Post
    If Martinezs reign makes him a sure fire hof then Danny Garcia's reign at jww makes him ATG
    How does Garcia's run compare to Greg Haugen who is in the hof?

People act lime the hof is a super duper exclusive place for ATGs only. It clearly isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      I never said Geoge Groves is elite. When did I say that? He's far from elite.

I said Groves is world class. Which clearly he is.

Martinez is obviously a lot better than Groves is though.

Don't see what your point is here.
      I'm just giving you shit, man. lol

Comment

Entire resume looks like this

Bunema: #6 at 154
        Cintron: unrated, but became #1 at 154 shortly after.
        Williams 1: both #1 at 154 and #3 at 160. Loss, but could have gone eitherway.
        Pavlik: lineal 160 champ
        Wiliams II: #2 at 160
        Dzinziruk: #8 at 154, WBO champ.
        Darren Barer: Future IBF champ
        Macklin: #3 at 160
        Chavez: #3 at 160, WBC champ.
        Martin Murray: #8 at 160

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          How does Garcia's run compare to Greg Haugen who is in the hof?

People act lime the hof is a super duper exclusive place for ATGs only. It clearly isn't.
          Yeah you're right. I just don't see what's so impressive about Sergio's "reign"

Comment

I think he'll be remembered as a good worthy champion who was a great ambassador for the sport. He did what he had to do (and did it with KO's) against a pretty weak MW division.

Cant see him making the hall of fame though.

And no, saying "but Gatti got in" doesnt justify every fighter who picked up a world title getting in.

Biggest shame is that we never saw prime Sergio vs GGG. Would have been a great fight between (imo) two elite fighters.

I hope Cotto does the Lineal title justice, though i suspect there will be a slew of smaller fighters hoping to 'make history' by picking up the MW title.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
              I think he'll be remembered as a good worthy champion who was a great ambassador for the sport. He did what he had to do (and did it with KO's) against a pretty weak MW division.

Cant see him making the hall of fame though.

And no, saying "but Gatti got in" doesnt justify every fighter who picked up a world title getting in.

Biggest shame is that we never saw prime Sergio vs GGG. Would have been a great fight between (imo) two elite fighters.

I hope Cotto does the Lineal title justice, though i suspect there will be a slew of smaller fighters hoping to 'make history' by picking up the MW title.

I highly doubt Cotto sticks around at the weightclass unless he fights somebody like Canelo or Mayweather there. I think he'll drop the belt and move back down.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                I highly doubt Cotto sticks around at the weightclass unless he fights somebody like Canelo or Mayweather there. I think he'll drop the belt and move back down.
                I think thats what he will try do though. If he can still fight haymon fighters then Canelo or Mayweather bring him (and them) huge paydays.

Comment

Could only reign in this era! Sorry Sergio fans but he had no power and he ran far to much. He had Junior ready to go and refused to step up the tempo in fear his conditioning would fail him.
                  A pretty boxer with escape clauses but in no way a great fighter! Please don't start that BS, he will not be remembered as a terrific champion to me he ducked the number one contender for 3 years.
                  He has no wins over great fighters in fact he hardly has any wins at all at 160!
                  What is there 5 fights?
                  This guy abused Cotto verbally and got his azz handed to him. He didn't have respect to appear at the press conference either. Good by to another actor!
                  He and Haye should start a theater group!
                  Ray.

Comment

Call it what it is, mediocre. At best.

Pavlik and Williams were good wins. After that he beat a bunch of middling opponents not to mention he got knocked down in basically every fight, which isn't necessarily bad but it shows that maybe he wasn't all that great.

He did a good job of avoiding Pirog around 2011 while waiting on his fight with Chavez Jr. he again pulled the same thing this past year with Golovkin in order to fight Cotto.

He did good beating the guys put in front of him, but can we honestly say that if Cotto fought him 2 years earlier it wouldn't be about the same result? Martinez hit the deck in pretty much every fight and Cotto's jab last night sent Sergio reeling. His style is all flash but he gets hit A LOT in pretty much ever fight he has had.

I initially liked Sergio a lot, he was exciting to watch but the circlejerk on here became too much for me and made me dislike him. I think he is getting overrated way too much.

Comment

Unfortunate in that the competition was lacking. Martinez at his best was a very good fighter, but middleweight was weak when he got there and weak during his reign. It still is weak. Sergio didn't have a particularly memorable stint at the weight because of the competition.

Comment

Working...
                      X