No announcement yet.

GGG vs Canelo; media row bias.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGG vs Canelo; media row bias.

Thought it would be interesting to delve a little deeper into how media scorecards played out & how the judges seemed to once again give Canelo the benefit of the doubt at every opportunity possible.

(please click the image to enlarge or zoom your screen)

If you look at the bottom of the spreadsheet; when rounds can go either way (50% scored for both fighters) the judges always went with Canelo. Even then, judges needed to buck the trend by going against the consensus of GGG winning specific rounds for this to not at least end in another draw. It's the same as in the first fight. Gave Saul the close rounds & only the more dominant rounds are given to Golovkin. Rnd 3 & 5 both got scored for Canelo on all 3 judges even though media was split. Similarly, Rnds 8, 9 & 12 saw at least 2 judges give Saul the nod though media was split & even leaned heavily to Golovkin for the latter two. Conversely, GGG only received one round from one lone judge when the media leaned towards Canelo winning the 7th overall.

No matter which side of the fence you're on, it was a great fight. I give Canelo a lot of respect for facing GGG twice, even with all the controversy. He fought very well & showed real heart in there.

The part I & all GGG fans don't like is that Golovkin doesn't get a fair shake. Just like last time, 75%+ believes GGG won yet he once again doesn't get the nod.

I'll allow you to be judge, but when almost the entirety of press row had GGG edging out the win or at least earning a draw once again, he gets the short end of the stick. We all knew this was coming; that Gennady wouldn't get a fair shake against Canelo & am afraid that this only continues in the future for any foe of the top ppv earners.

Reddit Press Row Scoring.

Last edited by S7V7N; 09-17-2018, 04:40 PM.

Another great and detailed analysis S7V7N.

GGG needed to clearly win 8-9 rounds just to maybe get a draw.

S7V7N P.S. I think you added the wrong link st the end for the Reddit scorecards. It was for their first fight.

I think you meant this one:

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/935...nnady-Golovkin
    Last edited by Vlad_; 09-17-2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Boxing really isn't this serious.

Comment

but he had swelling on his face doe....

Comment

I can't argue 115-114 for Canelo can't be found in that fight. It wasn't a robbery even if a lot of us will always feel the right guy didn't get the nod he deserved. Twice. That fight was a classic, guys.

Comment

In fairness the judges line up pretty good with the consensus in almost every round:

Round 1: 78/22 GGG, Judges: GGG GGG GGG
            Round 2: 95/5 Canelo, Judges: Canelo Canelo Canelo
            Round 3: 51/49 Canelo, Judges Canelo Canelo Canelo
            Round 4: 92/8 GGG, Judges: GGG GGG GGG
            Round 5: 54/46 Canelo, Judges Canelo Canelo Canelo
            Round 6: 84/16 Canelo, Judges Canelo Canelo Canelo
            Round 7: 65/35 Canelo, Judges Canelo Canelo GGG
            Round 8: 57/43 Canelo, Judges Canelo Canelo GGG
            Round 9: 65/35 GGG, Judges Canelo Canelo GGG
            Round 10: 97/3 GGG, Judges: GGG GGG GGG
            Round 11: 92/8 GGG, Judges: GGG GGG GGG
            Round 12: 70/30 GGG, Judges Canelo Canelo GGG

So only the 9th & 12th rounds go against the grain of these media members (although Feldman is the only judge who stays with the consensus & give both those rds to GGG). And most of these people have GGG winning, but the consensus opinion is a draw.

Comment

nice breakdown

Comment

I thought it was a draw.

You're a very good poster

Comment

So based on that sheet, most believe Canelo won 6 rounds and GGG 6 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    In fairness the judges line up pretty good with the consensus in almost every round:

Round 1: 78/22 GGG, Judges: GGG GGG GGG
                    Round 2: 95/5 Canelo, Judges: Canelo Canelo Canelo
                    Round 3: 51/49 Canelo, Judges Canelo Canelo Canelo
                    Round 4: 92/8 GGG, Judges: GGG GGG GGG
                    Round 5: 54/46 Canelo, Judges Canelo Canelo Canelo
                    Round 6: 84/16 Canelo, Judges Canelo Canelo Canelo
                    Round 7: 65/35 Canelo, Judges Canelo Canelo GGG
                    Round 8: 57/43 Canelo, Judges Canelo Canelo GGG
                    Round 9: 65/35 GGG, Judges Canelo Canelo GGG
                    Round 10: 97/3 GGG, Judges: GGG GGG GGG
                    Round 11: 92/8 GGG, Judges: GGG GGG GGG
                    Round 12: 70/30 GGG, Judges Canelo Canelo GGG

So only the 9th & 12th rounds go against the grain of these media members (although Feldman is the only judge who stays with the consensus & give both those rds to GGG). And most of these people have GGG winning, but the consensus opinion is a draw.
                    Oh, I agree that the judges "lined up pretty good", I also would have had no problem with a draw, the first fight was more clear for GGG. My point is only that the judges were leaning one way, as the media scorecards reveal. It was a super close fight & was very tough to score, why I thought some might appreciate looking a little deeper to help reveal where the tendencies really lie. Remember that prior to the fight many of these were picking Canelo to win, he also exceeded expectations by staying in the center of the ring, so you'd think the media would have been giving him more of the rounds subconsciously, but it didn't play out that way.

Comment

Working...
                    X