No announcement yet.

Hook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hook

Anyone here like to hook with the fist vertical (palms facing you) opposed to twisting in the end or horizontal?

The first place I trained at never tried to change my technique with my hooks, and now my new trainer is having me correct it. Problem is, I am so uncomfortable throwing it horizontal when sparring - I have no confidence in it and it feels too awkward and slow. I'm used to throwing it the way I've been throwing it. It used o be my favorite punch.

Out of all the pro's that I see with good hooks, Israel Vasquez throws this hook (my original way of throwing - vertical fist) the best. If you watch his fights with Rafael Marquez, all his hooks land with a vertical fist opposed to turning it over or having it horizontal.

Anyone got any suggestions?

maybe Im missing something but I would never even think of turning my fist on a hook.

Comment

Ya, I kind of had this problem too. For me it was a bad habit that developed from hitting the heavy bag. It is hard to get your hand to turn-over completely before you get to impact. Check out this video from Freddy Roach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63nDN...eature=related

If the link doesn't work (I don' think you can fast-forward), he basically uses the speed back to work on hooks. I think this would help you out a lot.

Comment

I throw it both ways, throw with fist horizontal with long half hooks half jabs and fist vertical with shorter more powerful hooks.

Asa rule of a thumb you are able to recruit more power when you throw the hook with your fist vertical.

Comment

To add to that, I think you get way more power behind the hook when you turn you hand over (palm facing floor). This is b/c the power comes from having your elbow and shoulder at the same level as your fist. When the palm is facing towards you, your elbow tends to be below your shoulder and fist. Practice for a while first, but have someone hold the mitts and throw your hooks both ways. I guarantee you will be able to tell the difference in power.

Comment

I got taught to hook with fist vertical, here in Ecuador I have noticed hooking mainly with palm down. I did some pad work with a bantam training for first pro fight and got him to throw with fist vertical instead of horizontal and I could definitely feel the increase in power.

Comment

Originally posted by !!Black Mamba View Post
              I throw it both ways, throw with fist horizontal with long half hooks half jabs and fist vertical with shorter more powerful hooks.

Asa rule of a thumb you are able to recruit more power when you throw the hook with your fist vertical.
              Listen to this man, he's not lying.

Comment

I have this tendency of not picking up my elbow when I throw a hook. I throw "hookercuts" much like Marco Antonio Barrera did in the first Morales fight.

Comment

Seems likee we have more people here throwing with a vertical fist than I would have thought. LOL

Originally posted by shawnrf View Post
                  To add to that, I think you get way more power behind the hook when you turn you hand over (palm facing floor). This is b/c the power comes from having your elbow and shoulder at the same level as your fist. When the palm is facing towards you, your elbow tends to be below your shoulder and fist. Practice for a while first, but have someone hold the mitts and throw your hooks both ways. I guarantee you will be able to tell the difference in power.
                  I've tried this with my trainer and he has been trying to make me do this for about 6 weeks since I've started working with him. Problem is I still have much more power throwing from a vertical fist than horizontal. There is more pop more speed, more everything. The only point that I see him having to have me throw horizontal is when throwing a horizontal palm down hook your elbows will be up and my shoulder will cover my jaw completely opposed to sometimes when I throw, I will throw a not completely horizontal hook, kind of like 4/5 of the way up from an uppercut to a hook and I'm more open to the counter over the top.

1:00 mark

Originally posted by Trrmo View Post
                  I got taught to hook with fist vertical, here in Ecuador I have noticed hooking mainly with palm down. I did some pad work with a bantam training for first pro fight and got him to throw with fist vertical instead of horizontal and I could definitely feel the increase in power.
                  When you throw your hook, is the line from your elbow to your fist level to the floor?

Comment

Working...
                  X